Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
reveller
AF Regular

Question humidity and spray painting

I know that spraying with high humidity messes up the paint job. I just wanted to know how those of you who live in humid climates do your spray painting. Do you wait for the humidity levels to drop or is there any other way? Thanks in advance!

reveller
reveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:11 PM   #2
jdmaccordian
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jdmaccordian
i live in Dover, DE, basically anywhere you go east, in about 5 secs you'll be on the beach! There is a lot of humidity around. I have ALWAYS done painting outside--mainly b/c that's what works and I don't have to worry about overspray anywhere inside or ventilation. I also ALWAYS paint at night, i guess the humidity does goes down a bit but it's really the only free time I have in the day. I would like to start painting in my bathtub b/c someone in AF said it was the cleanest (lack of dust at least) area available, but I just like the simplicity of staying outside. I did primer the nsx yesterday during the afternoon and WOW the surface felt like sandpaper itself! I have been sanding all day and for those of u that know the Mugen nsx know it has a loooot of crevasces. But yea I do a sample paint job b4 i go to the body--so i will paint less-sensitive pieces (disc brakes, chassis, etc) whenever and if they screw up, I know not to do the body. Anyone else from DE?
Old 07-09-2003, 09:25 PM   #3
CamaroSSBoy346
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CamaroSSBoy346
I paint in my garage ("paint in well ventalated areas" ) . But anyways, i paint them in the garage, then wait for them to dry. Afer so many coats, i put the clear coat on, and quick bring them inside, and put them under a lamp. The heat sucks up the humidity
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 302 H.O, A9L ECU swap, 65mm TB, 73mm Granetelli MAF, FRPP 30lb injectors, Walbro 255, MSD ignition, Powerdyne BD11 supercharger, Efans, T-5 swap w/ FRPP flywheel, Ram HDX clutch and adjustable Steeda clutch quadrant, 4.10 gears, Nitto NT555R radials
2000 OBS Tahoe Z71 6k HIDs, 33" Goodyears. 280k mile daily beater
CamaroSSBoy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:21 PM   #4
cartuner
AF Enthusiast

Well i paint out doors with or without humidity when i am done i bring it indoors and leave the model in a cool closet and the hazing from the humidity tends to go away. after that i either clear coat or buff the piant out and you would never know of any humidity hazing in the paint. and yes i even paint outside in the dead of winter
cartuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:15 AM   #5
supratuner
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to supratuner Send a message via Yahoo to supratuner
I paint indoors
but when i used to paint out side i got the best paint job ever when it was 32 F (freezing) and some light flurries
that silver VR4 in my thread was the result.

best yet, !
supratuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:24 AM   #6
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Deleware? Ha. Louisiana is the pit of humidity. So how do I paint? Poorly. I really would like a spray booth, though I have no place to put it. Usually, I just wait for the rare dry day, which don't exist this time of year. I do alot building during the winter.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 07:55 AM   #7
jdmaccordian
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jdmaccordian
yea willimo i think you have me beat on the humidity. i had one of my best paints jobs ever outside when it was freezing.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:51 PM   #8
MaukaRunner
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MaukaRunner
This might work

This might work. Here in Hawaii, the humidity is high and once I was doing a clear coat. While spraying the clear coat started to cloud up. I guess due to the humidity. If you have a air conditioned room then ASAP after spraying move the model into the AC room and hopefully it will clear up. It worked for me.