Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
bighank
AF Newbie

Question Loose keyblade on TaurusX IKT remote/key

Loose keyblade on Taurus X remote/key The keyblade (metal) in the plastic remote/transponder key has become loose. It twisted as the steering wheel was torque locked. I to start the car and get home. Opened the cover and used a visegrip to reseat the keyblade to the straight position. The remote/transponder portion was loose at the top end where the blade exits but seems to be glued into the plastic housing. Did not try to pry it out as I didn't want to wreck the key altogether.

Can I pry out the remote/transponder packaged in the plastic that is partially unattached in my key? Can I then successfully reattach or make the keyblade solid with epoxy or other means?

See aftermarket remote/transponder SHELLS which contain a keyblade but not the remote or transponder chips. If I get one of these how do I successfully transfer the remote/transponder electronics from my existing key?
bighank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Loose keyblade on TaurusX IKT remote/key

If you get a replacement transponder key, you do not need to transfer your transponder chip to the new key. Instead, you have the new key cut to the same pattern as your current key, then program the new key or keys to your car. The car "learns" the new keys. You will however need to have at least 2 programmed keys or pay a visit to a locksmith or Ford dealer if you do not have two or more programmed keys.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
bighank
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
If you get a replacement transponder key, you do not need to transfer your transponder chip to the new key. Instead, you have the new key cut to the same pattern as your current key, then program the new key or keys to your car. The car "learns" the new keys. You will however need to have at least 2 programmed keys or pay a visit to a locksmith or Ford dealer if you do not have two or more programmed keys.

-Rod
I know how to program a new IKT key but I would like to know how or what I can do to stabalize the metal blade on the existing IKT key with the loose blade.
As I said I could pry the electronics inside the outer shell to gain access to the outer shell and blade but I hesitated doing this as I did not want to ruin the existing electronics. Have seen some IKT keys advertised with previously cut blades which suggest that the blade can be replaced. I do not want to replace the blade just make it firmly attached to the outer shell. Can this be done with epoxy or J-Weld or something like that? Is the blade attached with a rivet or just cemented in place?
bighank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

The Transponder is not really "electronics" in the sense that it is not battery powered. It is energized by the coil around the key cylinder. The transponders I've seen are potted pucks so you wouldn't do any damage to them by using epoxy or similar to tighten up the key blade. I'm not sure how the key blades are typically attached to the plastic mold. I'm guessing the blade just has a metal head to it, probably with a couple of holes, and gets laid in the mold when the black head is molded around it.

For the cost of a replacement, non-cut transponder key from online sources, if I were in your shoes I'd order a new key, have it cut, program it to the PATS system, then put the damaged key in a safe place where you can find it in the event one of the other keys gets lost. Plus, once you have two good programmed keys, you can experiment with this damaged key all you want and not worry about rendering it useless since you'll still have 2 programmed keys.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon