Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
vzfox
AF Regular

Question 98 Explorer Eddie Baur 4x4 differential

I want to change the fluid in both the front and rear differential's of my explorer. I called the Ford dealer to find out what fluid is required for each. I was told 80W90 for the front and 75W140 with LSD additive for the rear.

I have read so many threads and posts about the differentials on these explorers and have read some that say the additive is also needed for the front. Also what I read, the fluid depends on the differential type (8.8 n such). The guy at the dealer didnt sound like he really knew and that he might have been guessing, he never asked for any VIN info or anything.

Can anyone tell me for sure what fluid type is needed and how to find out what differential's I have? Thank you.
vzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
big white bufflo
AF Regular

Re: 98 Explorer Eddie Baur 4x4 differential

the additive is for the limeted slip def only the rear end get that in any truck because you would not steer correctly if they put them in front the oils are correct also.you are wasting money if you put the additive in front
big white bufflo is offline   Reply With Quote