Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Century
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
runm-n-rekm
AF Newbie

2003 Buick Century Transmission slip bump on take off.

It doesn't do it much, but occasionally, when slowing down then taking off I feel a slip then a bump as she drops into lower gear. Just got this 03 Century - high miles but it is very clean and was fairly cheap, so I'm not too afraid if it's heading for a transmission job. Hoping I can just run it as is till it dumps, or fix it, and wondering what it might cost to totally trans fix when the time comes? Nice Car! Now, onto the learning curve to work on it.
runm-n-rekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: 2003 Buick Century Transmission slip bump on take off.

first thig i'd do is replace fluid and filter and take a magnet to old fluid and see how many shavings are in it and if you see chunks time to rebuid tranny. also you could take hose off tranny modulater and see if it has fluid in it and if so may be and easy fix. but i do know that's what goe's first with alot of miles on them and you never put motor size but i believe it's got the 3800 in it and it's same motor as in park avenues also.

good luck.....
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Simplest thing to do is check fluid level and condition.....then check to see if any transmission codes are set......

4T60E or 4T65E?

If 4T65E, a P1811, could create this symptom......approaching a street light that is red.......you slow down......as you almost come to a stop, the light goes green, and then you start to accelerate.....the car bucks, shudders, stumbles, etc., and then goes.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
runm-n-rekm
AF Newbie

Thanks Guys! This one has the 3.1 motor. I'll have to check which tranny it is. I'm looking at the "4T65E Trans Shift Hard, P1811 DTC" thread here... http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=899929 Fluid looks good. I'll check what I can on it and see if it persists or has any codes. There is a tranny shop here that I completely trust, so that's a plus. If the kit mentioned in the thread would fix it, I could do it and that would be great. I was looking closer at everything on it today and this car is so clean! If it needs some money thrown at it I won't be too upset. Our truck was only getting 10 mpg, so this car will be a $30 a week gas savings.

Last edited by runm-n-rekm; 01-30-2012 at 01:22 AM.
runm-n-rekm is offline   Reply With Quote