Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 08:57 PM   #1
super_man_3179
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to super_man_3179 Send a message via Yahoo to super_man_3179
Anti-Theft Ideas???

OK..you've got that brand new turbo kit, that hot body kit with the neon lights and a pounding system. When you ride down the street everyone stares wishing they were you....So what happens when you park that bad boy? We all know that honda/Acuras are americas number one stolen cars. How do you keep people from stealing a ride that you have put thousands of dolars into??? anyone have any stories or advice on how to keep your modified vehicle from being on bricks???

FUCK THEIVES!!!!!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
Self
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Self
I say get a paging alarm system with a professional, CUSTOM install, and insure everything. If you can afford it, bite the bullet and report everything to your auto insurance people and let them cover you if anything happens. There's really not much you can do, unfortunately
Old 06-01-2003, 09:18 PM   #3
alessandro
AF Regular

where I live, there have been some new modalities of robbery, now it doesn't matter what kind of alarm you have, because as soon as you hear the alarm and run for your car there's gonna be one of those fuckers with a pistol aiming straight at your face. He wil just tell you to wait till they are finished robbing your system or they will put one through your head. So you are forced to watch how they take away that system that costed you a lot of dough....bastards.

Last week a friend's Golf GTI was robbed this way, hopefully they just had the time to take the head unit becuase a cop siren was heard near and the fuckers made the run for it, and yesterday another friend's Rover 200 was robbed using the same MO, only this time they took absolutely everything, wrecking the dash in the job. Both cars had insurance so no problem there but still....

So I guess alarms are useless now...hope they get this fuckers and shoot the fuck out of them....

:finger:
Engine Swap into B16A2
DRAG Generation 3 Turbo Kit
HKS Super Mega Flow air filter
Sleeves and Headwork
RC Engineering 440cc Injectors
AEM Fuel Rail
Wiseco 9.0 Pistons
Crower Rods
Skunk2 Turbo Cams
Skunk2 Intake Man
Skunk 2 Retainers and Springs
Spoon Valves
MSD SCI Ignition
Hondata Stg 2
Apex N1 Exhaust
A'PEXi World Sport Coilovers and Ingalls Camber Kits
Giovanna Racing Kuji 17" Rims w/ 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza Tires
alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:45 PM   #4
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
OK the best thing is to report to the insurance company everything you've done to the car and get a new contract to cover everything i will cost you more...but can you put a price on piece of mind?

also for alarms go with a viper or some other good brand name....some of them on their top models will ofer even to pay money if your car gets stollen...i think viper offers 3K...ask in the store...on my car i have i lock and while its not an larm just an engine lock if it ever gets stolen they'll pay me 3000$ that will more than make up for the deductible

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:01 AM   #5
BullShifter
AF Moderator

If somebody wants your car bad enough they will get it no matter what you have for anti-theft. Lo-jack I hear is good for relocating your car. A cheap way to protect your ride from being started is by installing a single-pole(kill switch) & hiding it or even pull a fuse.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:29 AM   #6
killah_xft
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to killah_xft Send a message via AIM to killah_xft
hiding a switch is a good idea, but how often would you really use it? I have a switch that turns my amp on and off wether the car is running and the stereo is on or not. and I've woken up and got in the car to go to work, and the indicator light on the custom switchbox I made is still on... luckily my amp does'nt draw much juice when it's not playing anything..
Black 1999 Honda Accord LX, Bombz Cold Air Intake, DC Sports Ceramic Exhaust header, "Rally racing" Foglights, 400 watt coustic 401SE AMP, 450 watt Bazooka TVB 141 Tri-vent triangle sub. 220 watt Pioneer 6.5" 3-way (in doors).

To come: Dynamat, Borla exhaust system, and 17" Koenig Absolute (black w/ chome lip), Coilovers, & camber kit (1-1.5 drop), Extensive Engine mods.

check me out on: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/515191
killah_xft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:43 AM   #7
BullShifter
AF Moderator

I use the switch every time i shut the engine off. Even if its left on no battery drain happens. A single pole switch hooks up to 1 wire basically breaking contact. For instance diconnect the negative coil wire & hook it up to one end of the switch then connect the other end back to the negative side of the coil.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:49 AM   #8
killah_xft
AF Enthusiast

can you wire a warning light or on siren to it like you can get for a headlight warning? I know they sell those at walmart or any car place, but how would you wire it? and where's the best spot for the switch? under the seat? or under the steeringwheel on the other side of the vinyl(hidden)? well any suggestions would be great for detering theifs.. although my car is gonna be a sleeper I still want it to be protected (right now It does'nt have an alarm).
Black 1999 Honda Accord LX, Bombz Cold Air Intake, DC Sports Ceramic Exhaust header, "Rally racing" Foglights, 400 watt coustic 401SE AMP, 450 watt Bazooka TVB 141 Tri-vent triangle sub. 220 watt Pioneer 6.5" 3-way (in doors).

To come: Dynamat, Borla exhaust system, and 17" Koenig Absolute (black w/ chome lip), Coilovers, & camber kit (1-1.5 drop), Extensive Engine mods.

Old 06-02-2003, 02:56 AM   #9
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Read the instruction that comes with the kits, Im sure they can tell you how to hook-up that crap.

For the switch find a place hidden from view, I have heard of people mounting the switch behind the coin pocket. As far as mine goes, only i need to know. Another good idea i saw once was dude wired it in to the driver seat belt some how, & only would start with the belt buckled.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:22 AM   #10
killah_xft
AF Enthusiast

he probably wired it to the seatbelt light on the car, good idea for remembering your seatbelt if you can't drive witout it on... cause when I don't have my seatbelt on the red light on the dash goes on.. not that tricky...

Old 06-02-2003, 04:23 PM   #11
super_man_3179
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to super_man_3179 Send a message via Yahoo to super_man_3179
Does anyone have the Lo-Jack system? It's pretty popular up here in New Jersey and New York. It even has an early warning systems that pages, calls, emails, and sends you a text message if your car gets moved. Once the thief pulls off then the cops are alerted and they are right on their trail. It even has a kill switch on it too. I think that's a good idea. They even pay you if they can't recover your car in a certain amount of time.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:31 PM   #12
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by super_man_3179
Does anyone have the Lo-Jack system? It's pretty popular up here in New Jersey and New York. It even has an early warning systems that pages, calls, emails, and sends you a text message if your car gets moved. Once the thief pulls off then the cops are alerted and they are right on their trail. It even has a kill switch on it too. I think that's a good idea. They even pay you if they can't recover your car in a certain amount of time.

so is that the gps tracking system? also if they pay you in carse your car gets stolen....then that is a good system......imo the best thisng is complete insuranrance + an insuured security system that pays you if they steal the car.....this way you know you get your money back and you can just get another car and built that one up....

(\__/)
Old 06-02-2003, 06:31 PM   #13
Rob80
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Rob80
waste of money

Don't waste your time with alarms I have known kids to steal head units out of cars with the alarm going off. How many of you stopped to see what is going on when you heard an alarm. NO ONE DOES and NO ONE CARES.

The best way to keep your shit from getting stolen is don't advertise. NO STUPID STICKERS, don't bang your system before you park, Keep every think stock looking if you can, use hide away stuff. (If you have a competition show car you are screwed) Otherwise run the stock deck, or mount your deck out of site while your stock deck stays in dash.

The other thing that works good is use odd screws to mount everything. Use Hex screws or allen screws or screws or bolts that you can't remove with everyday tools. Problem with this is if they want it bad enough they just rip it out. Then the Bill for the damage is even higher.

The best advice is don't advertise. The more you show your stuff off the faster it gets robbed. Any way if you are putting subs and speaks in so you can ride down the block so everyone hears you you are a lamo any way and should be robbed.
Rob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:28 AM   #14
sameintheend01
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sameintheend01
Re: waste of money

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob80
Don't waste your time with alarms I have known kids to steal head units out of cars with the alarm going off. How many of you stopped to see what is going on when you heard an alarm. NO ONE DOES and NO ONE CARES.

The best way to keep your shit from getting stolen is don't advertise. NO STUPID STICKERS, don't bang your system before you park, Keep every think stock looking if you can, use hide away stuff. (If you have a competition show car you are screwed) Otherwise run the stock deck, or mount your deck out of site while your stock deck stays in dash.

The other thing that works good is use odd screws to mount everything. Use Hex screws or allen screws or screws or bolts that you can't remove with everyday tools. Problem with this is if they want it bad enough they just rip it out. Then the Bill for the damage is even higher.

The best advice is don't advertise. The more you show your stuff off the faster it gets robbed. Any way if you are putting subs and speaks in so you can ride down the block so everyone hears you you are a lamo any way and should be robbed.

gotta agree on that. my integra is so damn hard to pull the stereo out. the bolts are IMPOSSIBLE to reach without taking the entire damn inside of the car apart! and i think there is some chip in the key that wont let it start and i have heard that is why the integras get a lot less stolen now from the year they started doing the chip thing.
Iridium Spark Plugs
High Performance Plug Wires
High Flow Cat (unistalled)
Cool high/low beam lights
All around slotted and AEM pads

Last edited by sameintheend01; 06-03-2003 at 05:00 AM.
sameintheend01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 05:18 AM   #15
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Re: Re: waste of money

Quote:
Originally posted by sameintheend01

gotta agree on that. my integra is so damn hard to pull the stereo out. the bolts are IMPOSSIBLE to reach without taking the entire damn inside of the car apart! and i think there is some chip in the key that wont let it start and i have heard that is why the integras get a lot less stolen now from the year they started doing the chip thing.
the only problem is when they will literally rip the dash apart to take them...it happens quite often...you'll be amazed how fast you can dissasemble a dash if you don't care about the damage

(\__/)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction