Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
myersge1
AF Newbie

Melted Plug Wires

I'm stumped on this one. My son was driving his 1994 Camry and the radiator burst. According to my son, the temperature light never came on and he didn't notice the temperature needle above normal. He had it towed home. The next day I replacing the radiator and coolant. The car started but ran a little rough. I went to check the plugs and found that all of the plug wire boots had melted around the plugs. I had to rip the plug wires out of the plug wells but the melted rubber still covers the bottom half of each plug so I can't get the plug socket wrench over the plugs. Any ideas how I can get the plugs out or can I remove/replace the plug wells without removing the plugs first?

As you know, there is not a lot of room to get any sharp tools down into the wells to cut up or scrape out the rubber.

Thanks for any help you can think of.
myersge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Melted Plug Wires

You can remove the plug tubes. Remove the head cover and then remove the tubes by using two tube nuts tightened together to grip each tube. Another method is using a cushioned pipe wrench, placed as close to the head on the tube as you can, to loosen them. They have adhesive (Part No. 08833–00070, THREE BOND 1324 or equivalent) on the threads, so they will be tough to break loose. Clean the threads carefully before applying the adhesive and reinstalling the tubes. The tightening torque for the plug tubes is 29 ft-lbs, using a tube nut to tighten them.

Be careful getting the crap off the plugs. Use a vacuum or compressed air to get all the crap out of the plug wells before you remove the plugs. Anything in the plug wells will end up in the cylinder when you remove the plug. Don't let anything drop into the cylinder when the plugs are removed.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
snshddog
AF Regular

I have had to do that before, A small wood chisel worked for me then pick the larger pieces out with tweesers and blow the small bits out with air
snshddog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snshddog For This Useful Post:
myersge1 (10-15-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
myersge1
AF Newbie

Thanks to both of you. I'll try to chisel/chip the rubber away first. It's good to know that if that doesn't work I can still remove and replace the plug tubes as a last (and more expensive) resort.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

You don't have to replace the tubes, only remove and reinstall them. It only costs time and some gasket adhesive.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian R. For This Useful Post:
myersge1 (10-15-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
myersge1
AF Newbie

FYI, I was able to get the four spark plug tubes removed and the melted plug wires chipped away, vacuumed, and blown out. I replaced everything and it started up fine. Thanks for your help.

I now have a cooling problem (surprise, surprise). I'll post that problem in a few minutes so please take a look at it. Thanks again.