Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
ufo1stmate
AF Newbie

02 sensor issues

im having some issues with my engine. for some reason it will not idle without minimal assistance from the ol right foot. i think the 02 sensor may be faulty. is it possible to remove the sensor and bridge the wires just to troubleshoot?
ufo1stmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
RedNeckerson
AF Newbie

Re: 02 sensor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo1stmate View Post
im having some issues with my engine. for some reason it will not idle without minimal assistance from the ol right foot. i think the 02 sensor may be faulty. is it possible to remove the sensor and bridge the wires just to troubleshoot?
Can you reply with some additional info? Which engine? Service engine light on? It would be if any of the sensors were bad(and there are several O2 sensors for the gas engines, can't speak to the diesels). If so, can you get the ODB scan codes and post them? What makes you lean toward an O2 sensor?
RedNeckerson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedNeckerson For This Useful Post:
ufo1stmate (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
ufo1stmate
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckerson View Post
Can you reply with some additional info? Which engine? Service engine light on? It would be if any of the sensors were bad(and there are several O2 sensors for the gas engines, can't speak to the diesels). If so, can you get the ODB scan codes and post them? What makes you lean toward an O2 sensor?
03 4.7L dodge ram. light IS on. i think the computer cannot mix the air and gas while it idles. the rpms just slowly drop.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
RedNeckerson
AF Newbie

Ok, probably helpful to have the computer codes read. The cheaper ODB II scanners from Pep/A Zone/Harbor Freight give basic info, but better than nothing. Most will scan for free if you can dive it there, or buy one. I have a 30-40 dollar el-cheapo, but I almost always end up borrowing my buddies Genisys professional scanner. Still, there are still more questions than answers at this point. I'm not familiar with the 4.7 v8, but we can start with the basics. How many miles are on it? Could it have crappy or old gas in it? This shit fuel with ethanol they sell year round now plays hell with everything that sits for more than a month or two. When was the fuel air filter/pcv valve/spark plugs/plug wires changed/fuel injectors cleaned? Is there a definite miss occurring? Not sure if it has coil packs or a distributer/rotor ignition, but those should be checked as well.

I know, I'm not really being all that helpful, but my powers of long distance internet vehicular diagnostics are limited.
RedNeckerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
ufo1stmate
AF Newbie

thanks bro. my wife and i kinda took matters into our hands. the other day i took out both sensors and dipped them in gas and burnt them. cleaned the crud off and reinstalled. the check engine light went off and things were Almost back to normal. went to auto zone yesterday and the guy told me the same thing you said. he said to fill it up with high octane and put (2) bottles of lucas oil treatment in and run it hard. then when im down to 1/2 tank then put a bottle of sea foam in. were good i think, so far its running great. i really appreciate your help, thanks bro.