Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
jcsparky78
AF Newbie

Dodge van starting problem

Gotta 2000 Dodge ram 1500 van. Every few days, no rhyme or reason, it won't start. Found if I wait and give it a quick try (usually starts after a couple revolutions) eventually it will fire right up like nothing was ever wrong. First time took about 10 minutes, last time about 45. Error code reports P0340, the camshaft position sensor circuit. It never happens where I can work on it, so this is all I have to go on. I'll probably replace the sensor, but I'm scepticle it'll fix the problem. Seems odd that it only happens occassionally, that it eventually fires right up and that it has never effected the way it runs. If anybody has any other ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.
jcsparky78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: Dodge van starting problem

Since you're getting that code I would start by trusting it's the problem. Either inspect that circuit for wiring damage, connector failure, or just replace the pick-up coil and see if the problem disappears.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: Dodge van starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsparky78 View Post
Gotta 2000 Dodge ram 1500 van. Every few days, no rhyme or reason, it won't start. Found if I wait and give it a quick try (usually starts after a couple revolutions) eventually it will fire right up like nothing was ever wrong. First time took about 10 minutes, last time about 45. Error code reports P0340, the camshaft position sensor circuit. It never happens where I can work on it, so this is all I have to go on. I'll probably replace the sensor, but I'm scepticle it'll fix the problem. Seems odd that it only happens occassionally, that it eventually fires right up and that it has never effected the way it runs. If anybody has any other ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.
dose it seem to start when it's cooled off because you fuel pump may be getting hot. heres the way i test is turn key on 3 or 4 times and don't try start it untill the 4th time see if it starts.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote