Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
AF News Desk
Your Source For Auto News

Post Mugen Releases More Details of CR-Z

For those of you looking forward to the release of the new Honda CR-Z, you may find these details on the Mugen-tuned version to be especially appealing (but don't get your hopes up too much as it is currently not planned for production).

According to a report from MotorTrend, the Mugen CR-Z has had a good deal of thought put into the power train to ensure economy and performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Ayapana, MotorTrend - 4/25/11

Photo Courtesy MotorTrend/Mugen
An artist's rendering of the Mugen CR-Z

MUGEN is teasing us again with more details on its souped-up Honda CR-Z project. It first announced the project last month and provided vague specifics while pointing that it was strictly a prototype that won’t see production. We now have the latest scoop on the modifications, which includes the addition of a supercharger to achieve much needed horsepower.

Though it’s not MUGEN’s initial claim of 200+ horsepower, the blower increases the stock 1.5-liter four-cylinder i-VTEC engine’s horsepower output from 112 to 184 horsepower. Torque increases from 107 to 123 foot-pounds. MUGEN states that the Integrated Motor Assist electric motor will remain untouched and will continue to put out 13 horsepower and 58 foot-pound of torque. Combined, that’s 197hp/181 lb-ft compared to stock engine’s output of 125hp/165 lb-ft.

To make sure the transitions between electric and gasoline power remain smooth, MUGEN has developed an iCF system. “A supercharger and complementary electronics allow us to very neatly map the IMA to the extra power and torque of the engine in a unique package, giving a smooth and integrated powerful driving experience,” said Colin Whittamore from MUGEN Euro.

We first tested the CR-Z last year and were disappointed with its poor driving characteristics that were a far cry from the iconic CRX Si from the past. Luckily, handling is one of MUGEN’s specialties and they have enhanced the CR-Z’s sporting abilities with 5-step adjustable dampers, an increase in track width and a reduction of weight thanks to 17-inch forged MUGEN GP alloy wheels.

The bad news? MUGEN still claims this is only a prototype with no plans for production. But the fact they have continued to work on the CR-Z project and have released some solid performance figures leaves us hopeful that it may eventually become a reality.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/details-mu...#ixzz1L8H9pqvj
An interesting read about what sounds like a fun drive. The question becomes, will they put it into production?

Would YOU buy a Mugen CR-Z if it hit mass production? Why or why not?

Email newsdesk@automotiveforums.com or send us a private message with a link to the content you think AF Members should check out!
AF News Desk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
amy@af
Traffic Directing Admin

Send a message via Skype™ to amy@af
Re: Mugen Releases More Details of CR-Z

it doesn't sound like much but that's a decent hp gain. Considering it's 2550lb car it would give an Integra Type R a run for it's money being 2800lbs & 205hp.

..don't make me send Setanta over in his Waambulance to give you an aloe tissue for your sensitive nose!

*~ ~> USeR GUiDELiNeS*<~ ~*

I <3 the G Ride ~*~ I <3 OLD SKooL
amy@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

I'm willing to bet they'll eventually sell some of the parts, rather than sell the car as a whole. I don't see them selling the supercharger though. More like just the body parts, suspension, and wheels.

The 62hp increase certainly seems reasonable, considering this would have to meet U.S. emission standards, and that it's a supercharger on a small engine. It would have been nice to see them push a little harder though, and go a little more extreme. Maybe not 533whp like the Bisimoto CR-Z , but 250-300hp would be nice.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CivicSpoon For This Useful Post:
amy@af (05-02-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
amy@af
Traffic Directing Admin

Send a message via Skype™ to amy@af

you're right. I doubt the whole car will come out however, the recent mugen civic gives us hope. In the past they have only released limited amounts. You have to respect that. It doesn't flood the market. It does suck counterfits flood ebay

..don't make me send Setanta over in his Waambulance to give you an aloe tissue for your sensitive nose!

*~ ~> USeR GUiDELiNeS*<~ ~*

I <3 the G Ride ~*~ I <3 OLD SKooL
amy@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNRedSi View Post
you're right. I doubt the whole car will come out however, the recent mugen civic gives us hope. In the past they have only released limited amounts. You have to respect that. It doesn't flood the market. It does suck counterfits flood ebay
It would definitely be awesome if it does in fact come out over here, in all it's prototype glory (It'd also be nice if they would release more Type R's over here ). I have no idea on exact sales figures, but from what I've seen on different sites and forums, I'm assuming that there isn't a Mugen Civic left on any Honda lot (in brand new condition at least). But unfortunately, cars released in limited amounts aren't always given the respect they deserve. There's someone in my local area with a Mugen Civic, that... drives it as his "beater"/winter car And we're not in an area where they simply throw some sand down and call it a day, when it snows. We love our salt here (#1 provider of salt to the entire U.S. until 1900, pioneers of "salt potatoes" , and we even have a freaking museum for salt). Needless to say, cars around here, that are driven in the winter, are severely damaged in a minimum of 2-3 years
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote