Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
marinetanker18
AF Newbie

Arrow truck hardly idleing

ok everyone, I have a 83 pickup with the 225/auto, recently installed a new electric fuel pump, new coil, mopar electronic ignition, and a 1920 holly 1bbl carb, drove truck today, was doing great until i got home, sat for a while went to tinker somemore on it and it ran like straight crap, missing, stumbiling, surging and will not hardly run when put into gear, i have checked the timing, idle plug gap, relucter gap, wires, cap, ballast, you know all the normal. I have no idea what the problem is eny thoughts
marinetanker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Re: truck hardly idleing

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinetanker18 View Post
ok everyone, I have a 83 pickup with the 225/auto, recently installed a new electric fuel pump, new coil, mopar electronic ignition, and a 1920 holly 1bbl carb, drove truck today, was doing great until i got home, sat for a while went to tinker somemore on it and it ran like straight crap, missing, stumbiling, surging and will not hardly run when put into gear, i have checked the timing, idle plug gap, relucter gap, wires, cap, ballast, you know all the normal. I have no idea what the problem is eny thoughts

Missing, stumbling, surging, sound like a fuel delivery problem. Is the new fuel pump delivering enough fuel? Sounds like you're going to need to do some trial and error. I would start there and ensure proper delivery. If the fuel is there, then go through the electrical.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
marinetanker18
AF Newbie

yes the new fuel pump is giving it plenty of fuel, I will try to check over the ignition system again tomarow its been 1 problem after another with this truck.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinetanker18 View Post
yes the new fuel pump is giving it plenty of fuel, I will try to check over the ignition system again tomarow its been 1 problem after another with this truck.
Answer me this, before the work you performed on this truck, did the truck have any of the symptoms you are describing? If not, at least it narrows down the possibilities of an underlying problem.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
marinetanker18
AF Newbie

Yes, the truck had these problems before, it was origanlly equiped with the lean burn computer control system, after replacing all that is has gotten better but still not like it should.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
jpb53
AF Enthusiast

What is your fuel pressure regulated to? Manual pump pressure is 3.5 to 5lbs. Could your electric pump be causing carb to flood?
jpb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
marinetanker18
AF Newbie

i have a regulator installed, set to 4.5 lbs. checked to be right around that with a guage, pulled the valve cover last night to check for enything broken or missing everything looked good, so i have no clue as to what it could be.