Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
mriggs90
AF Newbie

Accord Transmission??

Hi,
My girlfriend has a 2002 Honda Accord, 3.0 Liter V-6, AT. For a while now she has been complaining about it making certain sounds that have been getting louder. It is now noticeable for me too when I drive it. There's a humming sort of sound coming from what sounds like something in the drivetrain (it sounds like my truck in 4 wheel drive in the highway) at basically any speed. In idle there is also what sounds like the belt ticking, but louder than normal. Last night I checked and saw the transmission fluid was low. I added some, but this really didn't fix anything (not that it was expected to). Her dad took off the belt a few days ago and said it still was making the ticking sound, so I'm thinking now a bearing or something? And any ideas about the transmission or the drivetrain sound?

Sorry this is probably not very descriptive, but I'm used to working on my truck and don't really know anything about this car. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
mriggs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
mriggs90
AF Newbie

Re: Accord Transmission??

By the way I've read some of the other threads.....the car doesn't have any problems shifting or with getting into gear, still drives the way its supposed to.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
GTA
Whee..

sure its not the cv joints making noise?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR
2007 Toyota Prius

I <3 and miss my 4g
GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me. When you are driving the car and it's making noise, swerve the left to right. If the noise gets louder the goes away, it's a wheel bearing. Another way to check is to raise the wheels off the ground and spin them. The rears you can do by hand, also check for play by grabbing the tire while pushing and pulling in all direction. For the front you will need the front tires off the ground, start it up and put in drive, accelerate until the noise is heard, figure out which side it is by listening.

If it's a rear one, they are simple. Especially if it's rear drum brakes. Front ones are pressed in.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
mriggs90
AF Newbie

Thanks for the input guys...and FYI for anyone else out there having problems, this one turned out to be at least partly a wheel bearing. The "turn test" wasn't really telling anything, but it got worse as time went on and eventually the wheel bearing was bad. I'll try to post later as we pinpoint any more problems.