Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
beltrunner
AF Newbie

'99 Suburban Heater Core

I recently viewed an online article on replacing the heater core on a 1996 Chevy Pickup. Instead of pulling the dash and other stuff,they removed the 5 hex screws on the bottom of the heater box.The bottom of the box came off exposing the heater core for easy removal and replacement.The carpet in the area of the heater box was pulled back, and the heater box screw on the firewall side was difficult to access.But after disconnecting the hoses on the engine side, the repair was almost done.Seemed almost too simple, but the posted photos seemed to verify the procedure.The photos seemed to correspond to the setup on my '99 Suburban.Anyone know if this will work on my Sub?
beltrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: '99 Suburban Heater Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrunner View Post
I recently viewed an online article on replacing the heater core on a 1996 Chevy Pickup. Instead of pulling the dash and other stuff,they removed the 5 hex screws on the bottom of the heater box.The bottom of the box came off exposing the heater core for easy removal and replacement.The carpet in the area of the heater box was pulled back, and the heater box screw on the firewall side was difficult to access.But after disconnecting the hoses on the engine side, the repair was almost done.Seemed almost too simple, but the posted photos seemed to verify the procedure.The photos seemed to correspond to the setup on my '99 Suburban.Anyone know if this will work on my Sub?
I know the NBS [new body style ] the complete dash requires removal !

why are you replacing the heater core ? did you isolate and leak test / or is it plugged ?
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
beltrunner
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply J cAT. I sorta got hit all at once with a bunch of leaks, including intake manifold, head gaskets,and front heater core. I fixed the motor leaks, but just bypassed the heater core until I had the time to saw the car in half to replace it. That dash removal did not seem fun. The articles showing an easier way to replace the core look pretty cool, so I'll try it soon (I'll do the rear core too while I'm at it).
beltrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Cusser
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrunner View Post
The heater core on my 1994 Suburban sounds just like the one you describe for the 1996 pickup. I used a 1/4 drive with 7mm socket (if memory holds) to remove maybe 6 screws holding the bottom cover, and there's one support. Remove the hose connections in the engine compartment first. Removal first time was about 15-20 minutes. I can't say if the 1999 is the same set-up however, but try and see.
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote