Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
lilvicklynn
AF Newbie

Question Car starts with remote but not with the key?!

I have a 1995 Honda accord ex, my car starts with remote starter but will not start with the ignition key. The engine turns with the key but doesn't stay on. It died one day while driving and we found that the engine still started with the remote so we could still drive it. The problem is that the remote starter shuts off after 20 minutes and so my engine does the same. It's not fun. It seems that this is not a very common problem and I don't know where to start. And I really want to be able to drive for longer than 20 minutes at a time :-)
lilvicklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
snshddog
AF Regular

Re: Car starts with remote but not with the key?!

They have a habit of melting the contacts at the ignition switch. That would cause this problem. You can see them if you take the lower cover off the column. If a contact feels loose or it looks melted you need a new switch, nobody here has had any luck repairing them, just replace it if that is it.
snshddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Car starts with remote but not with the key?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snshddog View Post
They have a habit of melting the contacts at the ignition switch. That would cause this problem. You can see them if you take the lower cover off the column. If a contact feels loose or it looks melted you need a new switch, nobody here has had any luck repairing them, just replace it if that is it.
electrical portion of the ignition switch
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote