Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Ray62406
AF Newbie

99 K3500 diesel dies intermittently

Hi, I have a 99 6.5 diesel dually truck that has started to die while at intersections and while driving down the road. Most times it restarts immediately but yesterday at an intersection downtown it died and took about 45 seconds of cranking to restart. Today it died at an intersection and restarted immediately. It then died while driving about 30 mph but the transmission still pushing the motor restarted it. It is not a miss and then die it just flat quits like the key was turned off.
The truck has 92k miles on it and had the injector pump replaced at 65k miles back in 2004. I checked the normal things like fuel filter and water but everything looks fine.
FWIW, this truck has done this since new. The only difference now is the frequency of the problem. It used to happen about every 6 months or so but would immediately restart and not do it again for a few months. Now it happens daily. It has not left me walking yet but I suspect it will if I don't find the problem.
Any ideas??
Ray62406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 99 K3500 diesel dies intermittently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray62406 View Post
Hi, I have a 99 6.5 diesel dually truck that has started to die while at intersections and while driving down the road. Most times it restarts immediately but yesterday at an intersection downtown it died and took about 45 seconds of cranking to restart. Today it died at an intersection and restarted immediately. It then died while driving about 30 mph but the transmission still pushing the motor restarted it. It is not a miss and then die it just flat quits like the key was turned off.
The truck has 92k miles on it and had the injector pump replaced at 65k miles back in 2004. I checked the normal things like fuel filter and water but everything looks fine.
FWIW, this truck has done this since new. The only difference now is the frequency of the problem. It used to happen about every 6 months or so but would immediately restart and not do it again for a few months. Now it happens daily. It has not left me walking yet but I suspect it will if I don't find the problem.
Any ideas??
Any check engine lights or codes?
There is a module on injector pump when it gets bad that will make the die when hot.
Is it tempture sensetive on dieing?

Is the fuel pump holding fuel pressure to filter or injector?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Ray62406
AF Newbie

No check engine light. A Google search pretty well indicates a pmd problem. The ironic part is I bought this new in July of 09 and when the injector pump went out I received a letter from GM indicating they extended the warranty to 11 years or 115k miles. This went out 4 months after the extended warranty ended. Go figure eh??
I am hoping it goes out permanently so I have a hard fault to diagnose instead of replacing a part and hoping for the best. When the problem is intermittent it can get expensive to repair.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Aftermarket makes a external mounted one that works beterthan one on pump.
The heat from engine/pump tends to burn the up.
If you need it I can look for aftermarket place that has them.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Ray62406
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500 View Post
Aftermarket makes a external mounted one that works beterthan one on pump.
The heat from engine/pump tends to burn the up.
If you need it I can look for aftermarket place that has them.
Ok, I had a chance to do some debugging yesterday. I pulled the air cover from the intake and turbo. I found the PMD and apparently I have to pull the intake to get to it. I checked all wiring and did some tugging and pulling trying to force it to stall. It didn't.
I tried to see if it would die during certain instances such as idling or going around a corner and it's not consistent. I did some research and took a look at the lift pump on the frame. I noticed it was not running when the engine was. I unplugged the wires to the pump and the truck continued to run. All the research I can find is that the pump only runs during cranking or when the glow plug lights. Is this correct. If that is the case then the lift pump would be ok since it doesn't have any cold start issues.
It looks like it is going to be the PMD. I don't feel like pulling the intake to replace it so I am leaning towards getting a remote locate kit and abandoning the old module in place.
Heat doesn't seem to be an issue as this has started dieing since the weather turned cold. It will also die whether the engine is cold or has warmed up.
I would like to hold off on purchasing a module until it totally fails. I have read about all the dying issues and some have claimed to replace the module only to find it didn't correct the problem. Has anyone had this module fail completely so you have a hard error to debug?
Old 11-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Are you using Bio-diesel?
Air filters, and fuel filters are hard todo visual check somethimes.
Consider an out of truck injector service at a local diesel shop.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Ray62406
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
Are you using Bio-diesel?
Air filters, and fuel filters are hard todo visual check somethimes.
Consider an out of truck injector service at a local diesel shop.
I've pretty well ruled out any fuel, filter, or injector issues. If an injector was the culprit it won't shut the engine down like the key was turned off. I also ruled out the lift pump.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Ray62406
AF Newbie

Update

Well, I bought a module and kit from this guy http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

It arrived Yesterday and I installed it. I removed the front grill to mount it in front of the radiator but with the ac condenser, power steering cooler, oil, and tranny cooler there was no place to shoehorn it in. I mounted it under the hood on the bracket that the anti lock brakes are mounted to.
Installation was pretty easy and all I did was disconnect the harness from the old module and abandoned the module in place. That is worth the money in not having to pull the intake to change the module. The truck fired up immediately and I noticed the idle a little lower than it had been in the past. Lately I have had to camp on the brake pedal otherwise the truck would move through the intersection. I had noticed the idle rpms had increased about 150 rpm on the old module. About the time that started happening I had started using Diesel Kleen as an additive and I attributed the increase in rpms to the additive. I guess I was wrong.
Anyway, the truck does not die anymore and seems to have a little more power. That just may be my imagination. One thing that isn't though is my volt gage. For the last couple of years the volt gage would bounce around from a discharge to overcharge. I checked the alternator and all wiring connections and thought the gage itself had gone tits up. Well, since this new module was installed the gage is working perfectly. Something tells me this module does more than you think it might. So, if your volt gage is acting funny and your idle has increased you may be looking for a new module shortly. I will update if I have any problems with this.
Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray62406 View Post
Well, I bought a module and kit from this guy http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

It arrived Yesterday and I installed it. I removed the front grill to mount it in front of the radiator but with the ac condenser, power steering cooler, oil, and tranny cooler there was no place to shoehorn it in. I mounted it under the hood on the bracket that the anti lock brakes are mounted to.
Installation was pretty easy and all I did was disconnect the harness from the old module and abandoned the module in place. That is worth the money in not having to pull the intake to change the module. The truck fired up immediately and I noticed the idle a little lower than it had been in the past. Lately I have had to camp on the brake pedal otherwise the truck would move through the intersection. I had noticed the idle rpms had increased about 150 rpm on the old module. About the time that started happening I had started using Diesel Kleen as an additive and I attributed the increase in rpms to the additive. I guess I was wrong.
Anyway, the truck does not die anymore and seems to have a little more power. That just may be my imagination. One thing that isn't though is my volt gage. For the last couple of years the volt gage would bounce around from a discharge to overcharge. I checked the alternator and all wiring connections and thought the gage itself had gone tits up. Well, since this new module was installed the gage is working perfectly. Something tells me this module does more than you think it might. So, if your volt gage is acting funny and your idle has increased you may be looking for a new module shortly. I will update if I have any problems with this.
Thanks everyone for the responses.
Sounds like a good fix.
You are welcome and.
Thanks for posting back the fix and how it went.
Good luck