Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
jbh0521
AF Newbie

Wink 2007 Taurus Intermittently Wont Start

I will do my best to explain this.....

My 2007 Taurus wont completely turn over at times. In girlspeak, the car sounds like it is going to start, then just won't turn over. Sometimes I can just give it a little time and try again and it is fine. Runs fine. My husband cleaned the battery terminals and made sure the connections were tight. Still have the problem. Any other ideas? We are going on vacation in a couple of weeks and want to get this taken care of beforehand.

One thing my car was doing was making a noise occasionally while it was running (we only noticed it when the car was in park, but running). My husband opened the hood and listened and said he thinks the fuel pump might be the culprit. I haven't heard the noise lately, so am wondering if that might be why the car won't start every time.

Also, the lights and radio, etc. all are on and working at full power when I am trying to get the engine to turn over.

Thanks!

Jenny
jbh0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2007 Taurus Intermittently Wont Start

The fuel pump is in the fuel tank on your car, so if the noise seems to be coming from under the hood, it's not the fuel pump.

As for the no-start, when you state that it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't, do you mean the engine cranks over while you have the key in the Start position but it just doesn't start, or do you mean the starter motor begins to turn the engine over but then stops spinning the engine, even with the key still held in Start?

If the engine cranks but doesn't fire up, that very well could be due to a weak fuel pump based on your description. If it stops turning the engine over though, that is probably a starter motor issue.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
jbh0521
AF Newbie

My bad description and your good description lead me to believe that the weak fuel pump is the winner! We will have it tested. How difficult is it to change it out? My husband has done others, but on cars "less modern" than mine!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

I don't know your husband or his automotive skills. I am a bit concerned though if he checked under the hood to determine the fuel pump is the source, unless he was checking for fuel pressure at the fuel rail or he was listening for the sound of the fuel pump relay.

You can check for correct fuel pressure using a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail. You could also try metering some throttle body cleaner in to the throttle body when the car won't start and if it starts and runs temporarily on the throttle body cleaner, that is another indication the problem is the fuel system.

The fuel tank will need to be lowered to replace the fuel pump. Hopefully the tank isn't completely full currently.

-Rod
Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
jbh0521
AF Newbie

This forum has been so helpful to us over the years. Thanks for your input. My husband hates the way I describe things because it does make him sound incompetent, but he has replaced fuel and water pumps and a whole lot of other stuff over the years. He has replaced his Jeep Cherokee's fuel pump, but wouldn't do it on our Windstar van (he hates working on that van, for the most part). This would be his first replacement on the Taurus, so I was wondering if it was overly difficult. The problem is that we don't have internet access at home at this time, so I have to ask the questions and then relay the answers to him. And I, obviously, am pretty clueless!

98% of the time the car starts fine. Just that 2% that stinks. Luckily, I give it a few more minutes and try again and it will start up. For now, that is.....

Jenny
Old 09-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Search the Mercury Sable side for fuel pump, or my posts. I described how I changed the fuel pump on mine there.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

I would not expect that the fuel pump is any worse to replace on the Taurus than on the Jeep, especially if you get a drop in replacement rather than a less expensive universal fit unit that requires retrofiting just the pump to the original assembly. Just don't mention to your husband that your Taurus shares the same platform as the Windstar.

-Rod
Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
jbh0521
AF Newbie

Thanks so much, Rod.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
Willyum
AF Enthusiast

A person with a good ear should take the gas cap off, place ear close to the filler opening and listen while someone is trying to start it. Is how I determined my fuel pump was bad. I found that when I turned on the key I would hear a slight "thump" and the pump would whir to build the pressure if everything was OK. No noise meant no good.
Two Ford service guys and one independent shop mgr told me to check and re-check because it was very rare that a fuel pump would fail on a Taurus, especially w/low mileage. Mine failed at 96,000 miles. Instructions came inside the Carter pump replacement box that were all that I needed to do the job.
Willyum is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon