Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
dead cell
AF Newbie

Wink 96 ram 3500 headlight problem

hello to all. I am new to this forum and would like to say that I am a fair service tech. I however am lacking an accurate automotive repair system to reference from. I have worked a small town service station for over 20 years. The service station has now closed and I work from a small shop at home.
That being said, I have been working with the headlights on a 1996 ram 3500 hi top conversion van. The head lights will not come on when you pull the switch out, but the park lamps will work. the headlights will come on brightly and the blue high beam ind will light up when you pull back on the dimmer switch. I have checked all fuses I can find and tried 3 different dimmer- multifunction switches from 3 diff sources.
So what do you guys think? Is there a module or something I am overlooking? maybee the headlight switch itself? I think I'm gonna remove the headlight switch for inspection. TALKTOYUNS
dead cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: 96 ram 3500 headlight problem

From your write-up it sounds like you have parking lights and high beams, just no low beams...is this correct?

Have you tested the head light lamps using an alternate power source to make sure they work?
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
dead cell
AF Newbie

Thank you for your reply. The headlights will only stay on if you hold back on the turn signal lever- dimmer. when you let go all headlights go out.
dead cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead cell View Post
The headlights will only stay on if you hold back on the turn signal lever- dimmer. when you let go all headlights go out.
In that case the headlight switch is no good. The fuses, the wiring, and the multi-function switch are all okay.

The flash feature works even if the headlight switch is off. This is why even though the contacts are no good inside the headlight switch, the flash feature still works.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Mopar_Stev
AF Newbie

You have tried three different head light switches? Hum. You may need to trace the wires to find a short. If you have, which I believe, a volt meter, test each wire from the connectors of the switch and head lamps.
Mopar_Stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Stev View Post
You have tried three different head light switches?
No he hasn't replaced the headlight switch yet, only the multi-function (dimmer) switch.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van