Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
po90260
AF Newbie

Replacing power steering high pressure hose - 1990 Camry DX 4 cyl

I'm replacing leaky power steering high pressure hose on 1990 Camry DX 4 cyl.

I need detailed steps, and the exact tools required.

Chilton's doesn't tell how to just replace a hose nor does it state socket sizes, methods, or special tools.

Thanks in advance
po90260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Replacing power steering high pressure hose - 1990 Camry DX 4 cyl

Download the Toyota FSM here.

Don't expect to have your hand held. Socket sizes are obvious - you try one and once you get a feeling, you can tell by looking and don't have to be told. How to do simple removals are not detailed anywhere. If you need to be told how to remove a bracket when the bolts are pointed out to you, it is up to you to learn or stop there and hire a mechanic. If you are reasonably good with tools and can figure things out for yourself, then you are in good shape.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
po90260
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
Download the Toyota FSM here.

Don't expect to have your hand held. Socket sizes are obvious - you try one and once you get a feeling, you can tell by looking and don't have to be told. How to do simple removals are not detailed anywhere. If you need to be told how to remove a bracket when the bolts are pointed out to you, it is up to you to learn or stop there and hire a mechanic. If you are reasonably good with tools and can figure things out for yourself, then you are in good shape.
You seem to miss the whole point of forums - they are for sharing knowledge and experience. Experienced members can give tips and explain problems. Bolts may require larger or deeper sockets not in a standard set. Certain ones may commonly be frozen. Hoses can require special tools. Demeaning members or telling them to hire a mechanic have no place in a forum.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
jdmccright
The RustBuster

These forums are helpful to many, but all will usually know enough and have at least the basic tools to perform minor repairs...screwdrivers, socket set, pliers, hammer, jack, wrenches, etc.

I can understand your wish to have all the tools and info upfront and laid out for you, but honestly, none of us have bothered to sit down and write the size of every bolt we touch when we fix something...we have a set of sockets or wrenches handy and we pick from the assortment as needed. But I will note that most mfrs will stick to two or three common head sizes to make eyeballing them easier...usually in 2mm increments.

There shouldn't be any major tools needed to replace a PS hose. Primarily a set of metric wrenches (one end closed and the other end open) from 10-18mm in size (all Toyota fasteners are metric sizes). You'll probably want a drip pan or other large collector to catch any fluid that comes out when you disconnect the hose, and some paper towels to wipe up any spills, your hands, tools, etc. Disconnect the lower one first so that any fluid from the pump will drain out. Then the upper hose connection. Reverse it for installing the new one. Should only be hand tight on the connections. Start the engine, check for leaks, and top off the fluid reservoir as needed with new fluid.

Hope this helps and welcome to AF!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by po90260 View Post
You seem to miss the whole point of forums - they are for sharing knowledge and experience. Experienced members can give tips and explain problems. Bolts may require larger or deeper sockets not in a standard set. Certain ones may commonly be frozen. Hoses can require special tools. Demeaning members or telling them to hire a mechanic have no place in a forum.
You have missed my point and my expectations on the point of these forums. Asking for directions up front is answered by pointing to the directions anyone would use freely, the Field Service Manual. If you have a specific problem after you have tried to do the work, or have questions on the descriptions and instructions in the manual, then feel free to ask.

If your expectations of these forums is different from mine, then I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Brian R.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
po90260
AF Newbie

I was hoping to hear from someone who had actually done the repair.

I've had lots of arm chair mechanics tell me to take it off and put a new one on doing the reverse, not detailing methods or approaches or tips. Perhaps this is not a hands-on type forum but how was I to know? I've been on forums for other cars and step-by-step photos were commonly posted. I appreciate the link to the repair book. Our local library has a similar one accessible through their website, something to keep in mind if you ever can't find one.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Here's how I'd look at this...if a user had done this repair and felt that the FSM didn't give enough info or missed something, or they found a better way, then they would have posted directions & pics to help. Since there aren't any such posts or replies to your query, then the job is straightforward.

Of course, if for some reason you do have a problem, we'll do what we can (short of coming to you) to help. Good luck!
8900b/MR2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista