Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Ham63
AF Newbie

1999 2500 Diesle Not Starting Sometimes

Not always but it seems that if I park the truck quickly and shut it off it will not start. As I try to start it it just makes a single click not several clicks. If I wiggle the gear shift it seems to finally find the right spot and turns over just fine. It does not always do this and hill grade does not seem to play into this either. I have found if I put it in park and pop the gear shift about 3 or 4 quick times (leaving it in park the entire time) it will start up just fine.
Im not mechanically inclined by any means but I can't tell if it is a starter issue or transmission/column problem.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ham63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
dodgeguy55
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 2500 Diesle Not Starting Sometimes

check the linkage, they wont start in anything but Park or Neutral, and if it still just barely hanging in between gears it wont, Very common problem on column shift fords, I notice on my 12valve that the linkage is a bit loose but not to the point of getting trapped in between, but as for it clicking when you go to start kind of sounding like a starter problem not to sure, if its caught between gears then nothing happens when you turn the key, I wouldn't worry too much about it, something is just not in sync. but other than starting the truck runs/shifts accelerates good?
dodgeguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
urclueless
Banned

ur prob is the starter contacts for the solenoid. it's just a coincidence that moving the shifter around. cost is under $10 to fix the starter. u can verify it by removeing 3 little bolts and a cover on the starter (dont even need to pull the starter to do this) look at the copper contact. if it's worn down a lot then u found the prob.
urclueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

I agree with dodgeguy55, you might even see if cranking improves when you put it in neutral.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10