Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
cougar214
AF Regular

Question Bouncing front end

Hey guys.I got a new problem.I got my back brakes done and my gas millage is back to normal.Thank god.It was in fact the rear drivers caliper seizing.

Now I have another problem.I have this bouncing feeling in the front end when I"m driving between 20-35 mph.I think its coming from the front.At least it feels that way.I know I could have a broken band inside the tire that can cause this.

I"m going to take off the front tires and ride on the donut just to see if the bouncing goes away.If it does then I know its the tire.If the bouncing doesn't go away what else could cause this?Thanx guys.
cougar214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
dizzle1
AF Regular

Re: Bouncing front end

A bad shock, you could move the tire around also and see where it goes. When you lift up the car push on the wheel from right to left and top to bottom and see if their is any play

Last edited by dizzle1; 05-09-2010 at 12:59 AM.
dizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
krivasauto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle1 View Post
A bad shock you could move the tire around also and see where it goes. When you lift up the car push on the wheel from right to left and top to bottom and see if their is any play
A bad shock could cause bouncing, but this is not the way to check it. Push on the front end up and down several times with all your weight, and see if the front end goes up and down a few times. If so, probably shocks.

Play in the wheel will be from ball joints or tie rod ends.

Vibration is usually from a bad tire.
krivasauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
dizzle1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivasauto View Post
A bad shock could cause bouncing, but this is not the way to check it. Push on the front end up and down several times with all your weight, and see if the front end goes up and down a few times. If so, probably shocks.

Play in the wheel will be from ball joints or tie rod ends.

Vibration is usually from a bad tire.
Yea I know I forgot to mention that. Cheap tires busted belts will make more noise and is not safe, a bubble in the sidewall, visible belts through the tire is a bad sign. If the wheel is out of balance and you could have a blowout.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
cougar214
AF Regular

O'K guys.I took the front drivers side tire off and replaced it with my spare but it was really a waste of time to do because as soon as I took the tire off I could clearly see it has more wear on the inside and a band is broken in the tire.

I have a split in the tire and the mesh that makes up the band is ever so slightly showing through the tire.When I drove it with the spare the bouncing was gone so It's defenatly my tire so I will be replacing the front ASAP.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov

Yeah definitely don't drive it until you get that tire fixed..seems like there's always a bit of grace when we don't know exactly what the problem is, but when you know what's wrong and keep pushing it, seems like thats when bad stuff happens haha.

I'd rather drive with the donut than use that tire, although Id rather have the donut on the rear personally.

If youre strapped for cash, check out your local Craigslist, you might be able to at least find a functional tire that isnt falling apart that would get you by for a little while.
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
rhaigh08
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to rhaigh08

Dont forget about the why your tire was worn that way.You should probably check the other side and tires as well you may need an allignment. If the allignment is off and you put a new tire on you'll just ruin that tire.
rhaigh08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
cougar214
AF Regular

Yeah...I know it's the alignment.I've needed to get it done since I bought the car but haven't had the time or money to get it done.I rotated all the tires today to get that bad tire in the back.i think they have been rotated before for wear cause the damn thing rides like a hummer with knobby tires now.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue