Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
su_jumptd
AF Newbie

2001 New EGR, engine light still on????

2001 Passport/Bought a new EGR and installed and reset computer but engine light still on. What the heck can I do to take care of this.....local mechanic wants to gouge my eyes out to fix it.

Please help!!!
su_jumptd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 New EGR, engine light still on????

Did you have the codes read? Just because a code description mentions a certain part doesn't always mean to replace that part.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
su_jumptd
AF Newbie

I did initially but don't know what they are. Will get them re-read and will report back.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

I'm guessing you probably have a p0401 if a new EGR didn't fix it. Insufficient EGR flow. Probably a plugged EGR passage in the intake.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
su_jumptd
AF Newbie

Thanks Cat,
I think you've got it right. I did install a new EGR. I got the codes again see below. What can I do to fix this issue?

Code: P0401
EGR System Fault (Exhaust gas Recirculation)
Explanation:
The ECM has detected too little flow on the EGR system.
1.- Blocked passage EGR system.
2.- Failed EGR Valve.
3.- EGR solenoid faulty.
4.- Failed EGR pressure where applicable.
5.- Failed EGR position sensor where applicable.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

The most likely place for the EGR passage to plug up is inside the intake where the EGR passage dumps in. Remove the valve. Notice there are two passages underneath. The one with the PIPE connected to it (rear) is the passage FROM the exhaust. The other passage is the passage TO the intake (front). This is the passage that is probably blocked. A piece of wire coat hanger pushed in and twisted can probably open up the passage. You won't be able to see the clog as the passage turns 90 degrees to the drivers side. It won't be easy but you need to cut through the crud. It's pretty hard. In some engines, I've resorted to using a drill and bit to cut through it when I could get it in there. can't get a drill in this case though.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
su_jumptd
AF Newbie

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
su_jumptd
AF Newbie

EGR flow problem solved/fixed.
Okay,
I fixed the flow problem on my 2001 Honda Passport. Hopefully this will save the next poor homemade mechanic from going through what I did.
Note: All references to this explanation below from here on out is me standing in front of the car facing the motor.
First, you need to know what the EGR valve looks like. Easy (refer to photo A1) located on the top, rear, left side of the motor, next would be to identify the intake and exhaust on the EGR valve. For this (refer to photo A1 & A2), the circle is the beginning of the intake tube and the square is the exhaust tube which goes down and connects to the exhaust manifold (refer to photo B1 & B2). Good, everyone clear on that? Next we need to clean the clog that is more than likely causing then engine check light to stay one and bringing up a “blocked passage” flow error. This involves very minor mechanical work (hope I would have know this before I started to take the whole engine apart).
A little explanation follows. The exhaust tube is easy to identify and follow to the exhaust manifold (B1 &B2) which more than likely is not the tube that is causing the problem, so for now leave this one alone. The intake tube (I think) is more than likely the problem here. The intake tube starts at the EGR valve (refer to the circle in photo A1 & A2) which is covered by an tap screw that requires a allan wrench type tool to remove. The intake tube (just under & inside the EGR valve)goes from left to right about 6 inches and makes a 90 degree turn right in the middle of and into the intake manifold (photo C1). If you had x-ray vision you would see a tube about ¼ inch in diameter laying inside the bottom of the intake manifold and ending with an open ended tube close to the front of the intake manifold. Okay, now the unclogging/cleaning part. The tube (at least the one on my vehicle) is more than likely clogged with some sludge/gooy black soot stuff that are restricting the flow of air to the EGR valve. To clean the EGR intake I first removed the air intake tube that goes into the intake manifold (refer to photo C2), moved it aside just enough to expose the opening to the intake manifold (photo C1). If you look inside the intake manifold you will see a butterfly valve, you can push this valve (which is spring loaded) with your finger. If you take a long screw driver and push the top of the butterfly valve so it will open (using a flash light) you will be able to see the end of the EGR intake tube. Air simply goes in this direction and goes to/through the EGR valve. I then took a wire coat hanger and straightened it out, at the tip of the coat hanger about half inch or so I bent it very slightly just so it can scrap the inside of the intake tube when inserted. K, now take the prepared coat hanger and insert it through the air intake opening and into the open end of the little EGR intake tube inside the intake manifold. As you insert the hanger slowly keep turning it till you reach the end. Do this several times to that you can remove the clog as much as possible. After you are done with this step replace the intake manifold/air intake tube. I then removed the tap screw (photo circle in A2) took some carborator cleaner (using a spray can tubing) and sprayed some in there. I put everything back together and my problem was solved. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1.jpg (96.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg A2.JPG (34.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg B1.jpg (95.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg B2.JPG (46.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg C1.jpg (97.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg C2.jpg (96.6 KB, 97 views)
Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the write up. Good pics too. However, you were lucky to have a removable plug for the EGR passage. All the ones I've seen have a small soft plug in there that doesn't appear to be replaceable. Maybe someone before you removed it and tapped threads in there.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
christianpk
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 2001 New EGR, engine light still on????

I'm having the same problem. I took a glock barrel cleaning brush, coat hainger and scrubed the pipe for over an hour. And also put on a new egr. The p401 code is still coming up. Does anyone have any other ideas? Please help
christianpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

Answered in the thread you also created.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU