Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
koolaidman1212
AF Newbie

TCC Circuit Malfunction

I have a 96 Geo Tracker 4WD can anyone give me advice on how to solve my TCC Circuit Malfunction check engine code? From what I understand I need to replace the torque converter. Is that the only possibility or are their others I should look into? One last thing if I do need to replace the torque converter does anyone know exactly how hard it is to do? Thanks.
koolaidman1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
edmcm2000
AF Newbie

Re: TCC Circuit Malfunction

You certainly don't have to replace the torque converter! You may have to replace the TCC lockup solenoid, which is in the transmission, and easily replaced by removing the pan. But, the trouble might also be with the TCC relay, located up by the battery, or other things. Not the cinverter. Ed
edmcm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
koolaidman1212
AF Newbie

Do you have any idea how much those parts cost by any chance? I looked on advance auto part's website but I didnt see the parts so I sent customer service an email an am waiting on a reply. And do you think that it could only be those two parts? Thanks.
koolaidman1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
edmcm2000
AF Newbie

I bought a solenoid some time ago, not sure but I think it was about 60.00. I wouldn't just start putting on new parts, could be even just a bad connection.

Here's some general info I googled, if you do your repair, I think you'll have to get maybe a Chiltons manual or something. Tracka
The TCC:

The purpose of the Transmission Converter Clutch (TCC) feature is to eliminate the power loss of the torque converter stage when the vehicle is in a cruise mode. The TCC System uses a solenoid-operated valve to couple the engine flywheel to the output shaft of the transmission through the torque converter. Lockup reduces slippage in the converter increasing fuel economy. For the converter clutch to apply, two conditions must be met:

* Internal transmission fluid pressure must be correct.
* The ECM must complete a ground circuit to energize the TCC solenoid that moves a check ball in the fluid line. This allows the converter clutch to apply, when hydraulic pressure is correct.

The TCC is very similar to the clutch in a manual transmission. When engaged, it makes a direct physical connection between the engine and transmission. Generally the TCC will engage at about 50 mph and disengage at about 45 mph.
The TCC Solenoid:

The TCC solenoid is what actually causes the TCC to engage and disengage. When the TCC solenoid receives a signal from the ECM, it opens a passage in the valve body and hydraulic fluid applies the TCC. When the ECM signal stops, the solenoid closes the valve and pressure is vented causing the TCC to disengage. If the TCC fails to disengage when the vehicle comes to a stop, the engine will stall.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
edmcm2000
AF Newbie

Find all the info you need here:
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?action=search2
Old 09-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
edmcm2000
AF Newbie

Oops, on the last post, search for TCC Solenoid.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker