Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 05:18 AM   #1
courtreporter232

Exclamation All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling, rough idle, cold start problems Must Read

Please anyone with this problem let me know what you have done or tried to do to repair your car. Also if you got it repaired how many different conclusion to this problem have you had. I need as much information as possible. I am trying to fight American Honda to acknowledge this "known problem" and maybe help others with it as well.
I own a 2001 Honda CRV and I have had service and/or requested service for this stalling, rough idle, and cold start problem atleast 7 times. This last time I took it in the dealership told me I have low compression in cylinder #3. They said they had to send it to the their machine shop.
Just to start it would cost me $1000 and then it was going to be more when they verified the problem. They thought it was a burnt valve and the heads would have to be replaced.
I was sickened when I heard this. Especially since I have been having this same issue since I bought the car, and everytime I took it in they said don't worry just have a full tune up done for $600 and it will go away. And it did for a while til the next $600 tune up came and another.
Now, they can't cover up their valve problem anymore cause it's shot. After paying all that money all ready I have to pay well over $1000 more because it wasn't addressed when it started at 16,000 miles.
I just recently found a Technical service Bulletin regarding this exact problem. It is TSB #03038. So, I decided to call American Honda Manufacturer and I have never had so much run around in my life, but I knew that it was going to be a fight. The full TSB states at the end Valve recedes into head. REPLACE cylinder heads. I have a case open and I will know more details in a day or two. I have found 3 different people state that they got their repair done under a goodwill warranty and paid nothing.
Anybody with this problem please let me know about it. I want all the ammo I can fire at them because I know there are a lot of us out there with this problem. I will keep everyone updated and maybe it will lead to a fix for your car as well.
courtreporter232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
maxlucy
AF Newbie

Re: All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling, rough idle, cold start problems Must Read

I am having the exact problem and starting the process with America Honda. Had the dealer look at the car. He indicated it may need a new engine. Have not gotten much further..hope to know more next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtreporter232
Please anyone with this problem let me know what you have done or tried to do to repair your car. Also if you got it repaired how many different conclusion to this problem have you had. I need as much information as possible. I am trying to fight American Honda to acknowledge this "known problem" and maybe help others with it as well.
I own a 2001 Honda CRV and I have had service and/or requested service for this stalling, rough idle, and cold start problem atleast 7 times. This last time I took it in the dealership told me I have low compression in cylinder #3. They said they had to send it to the their machine shop.
Just to start it would cost me $1000 and then it was going to be more when they verified the problem. They thought it was a burnt valve and the heads would have to be replaced.
I was sickened when I heard this. Especially since I have been having this same issue since I bought the car, and everytime I took it in they said don't worry just have a full tune up done for $600 and it will go away. And it did for a while til the next $600 tune up came and another.
Now, they can't cover up their valve problem anymore cause it's shot. After paying all that money all ready I have to pay well over $1000 more because it wasn't addressed when it started at 16,000 miles.
I just recently found a Technical service Bulletin regarding this exact problem. It is TSB #03038. So, I decided to call American Honda Manufacturer and I have never had so much run around in my life, but I knew that it was going to be a fight. The full TSB states at the end Valve recedes into head. REPLACE cylinder heads. I have a case open and I will know more details in a day or two. I have found 3 different people state that they got their repair done under a goodwill warranty and paid nothing.
Anybody with this problem please let me know about it. I want all the ammo I can fire at them because I know there are a lot of us out there with this problem. I will keep everyone updated and maybe it will lead to a fix for your car as well.
maxlucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

Re: All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling, rough idle, cold start problems!!!!

FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
superbluecivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
terbennett
AF Newbie

Re: All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling, rough idle, cold start problems Must Read

The problem with your CR-V are the valves. The symptoms that I experienced myself were my car stalling on cold starts and rough idle. Later, the symptoms extended to intermittent stalling when the engine was warm. The valve adjustment was something I decided to do. Mechanics tried to discourage me by telling me that my vaklves didn't need adjusting. I demanded that they adjust them anyway. After the adjustment, the problems disappeared. The mechanic told me that my valves were so tight that he wasn't sure that he would be able to adjust them. Lucky for me, he was able to. I learned from other CR-V owners what to look for, and now I'm at 189,000 miles without any engine or transmission replacements. It'll easily hit 300,000 miles if taken care of correctly.
Valve failure is becoming a very common problem because most people fail to have them adjusted. Most of that stems from Honda giving the recommended service at 105,000 miles when they should be adjusted every 30,000 miles. Another problem is that most mechanics follow the "all engines are basically the same" rule. The issue occurs when the valves tighten to the degree that they burn out. Usually mechanics make a valve adjustment call based on a loud tapping noise that usually occurs when the valves loosen- which is very common on engines. However when the valves tighten, they are quiet. If you can't hear any noise from the valves, get them adjusted immediately!!! I can't stress enough on how important it is to get them adjusted every 30,000-35,000 miles. Do that and you'll extend the life of your CR-V even more.

Please note: Since the B20Z engine in the 1999-2001 CR-Vs have higher compression than the B20B in the 1997-98 models, the 1999-2001 CR-Vs are more prone to the problem. I hope this answers your question and happy motoring!!!
terbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
terbennett
AF Newbie

The problem with your CR-V are the valves. The symptoms that I experienced myself were my car stalling on cold starts and rough idle. Later, the symptoms extended to intermittent stalling when the engine was warm. The valve adjustment was something I decided to do. Mechanics tried to discourage me by telling me that my valves didn't need adjusting. I demanded that they adjust them anyway. After the adjustment, the problems disappeared. The mechanic told me that my valves were so tight that he wasn't sure that he would be able to adjust them. Lucky for me, he was able to. I learned from other CR-V owners what to look for, and now I'm at 189,000 miles without any engine or transmission problems. It'll easily hit 300,000 miles if taken care of correctly.
Valve failure is becoming a very common problem because most people fail to have them adjusted. Most of that stems from Honda giving the recommended service at 105,000 miles when they should be adjusted every 30,000- 40,000 miles. Another problem is that most mechanics follow the "all engines are basically the same" rule. The issue occurs when the valves tighten to the degree that they burn out. Usually mechanics make a valve adjustment call based on a loud tapping noise that usually occurs when the valves loosen- which is the norm on most engines. However when the valves tighten, they are quiet. If you can't hear any noise from the valves, get them adjusted ASAP!!! I can't stress enough on how important it is to get them adjusted every 30,000-40,000 miles. Do that and you'll extend the life of your CR-V even more.

Please note: Since the B20Z engine in the 1999-2001 USDM CR-Vs have higher compression than the B20B4 in the 1997-98 USDM models, the 1999-2001 CR-Vs are more prone to the problem. I hope this helps you now and in the future. Happy motoring!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
gtocali
AF Newbie

Re: All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling, rough idle, cold start problems Must

Quote:
Originally Posted by terbennett
The problem with your CR-V are the valves. The symptoms that I experienced myself were my car stalling on cold starts and rough idle. Later, the symptoms extended to intermittent stalling when the engine was warm. The valve adjustment was something I decided to do. Mechanics tried to discourage me by telling me that my vaklves didn't need adjusting. I demanded that they adjust them anyway. After the adjustment, the problems disappeared. The mechanic told me that my valves were so tight that he wasn't sure that he would be able to adjust them. Lucky for me, he was able to. I learned from other CR-V owners what to look for, and now I'm at 189,000 miles without any engine or transmission replacements. It'll easily hit 300,000 miles if taken care of correctly.
Valve failure is becoming a very common problem because most people fail to have them adjusted. Most of that stems from Honda giving the recommended service at 105,000 miles when they should be adjusted every 30,000 miles. Another problem is that most mechanics follow the "all engines are basically the same" rule. The issue occurs when the valves tighten to the degree that they burn out. Usually mechanics make a valve adjustment call based on a loud tapping noise that usually occurs when the valves loosen- which is very common on engines. However when the valves tighten, they are quiet. If you can't hear any noise from the valves, get them adjusted immediately!!! I can't stress enough on how important it is to get them adjusted every 30,000-35,000 miles. Do that and you'll extend the life of your CR-V even more.

Please note: Since the B20Z engine in the 1999-2001 CR-Vs have higher compression than the B20B in the 1997-98 models, the 1999-2001 CR-Vs are more prone to the problem. I hope this answers your question and happy motoring!!!
I was not so lucky, I had to replace burnt exhaust valve #1 cylinder at 69,000 miles. I Had the symptoms for only short time. I am a former mechanic so my stomach dropped after finding half compression on affected cylinder. A trip to the machine shop confirmed the burnt valve.

I wish Honda would send a warning of this maintenance(defect) issue so that owners of potentially affected vehicles can have the valves checked before damage is done.
gtocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
terbennett
AF Newbie

Re: All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling, rough idle, cold start problems Must

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtocali
I was not so lucky, I had to replace burnt exhaust valve #1 cylinder at 69,000 miles. I Had the symptoms for only short time. I am a former mechanic so my stomach dropped after finding half compression on affected cylinder. A trip to the machine shop confirmed the burnt valve.

I wish Honda would send a warning of this maintenance(defect) issue so that owners of potentially affected vehicles can have the valves checked before damage is done.

Actually, Honda has a TSB on the issue. A parts guy at my local Honda dealer told me abnout it. From what I've been told, they'll replace the valves at no charge if you press the issue. My bestfriend's 2000 CR-V had the same problem and he just spent the money to get the valves replaced. $1200 is a lot of money for an owner to have to pay for a manufacturer's flaw. As I've read on other forums, Honda will replace them free of charge if you pressure them enough.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
rodzylla
AF Newbie

I am having the exact same problem and will be calling Honda on monday.

My mechanic told me I have no compression on 2 cylinders and need head work done.
rodzylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
terbennett
AF Newbie

Re: All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling, rough idle, cold start problems!!!!

Hello,
If your CRV has lost compression in two of the cylinders, contact Honda immediately about it. More than likely, it's your valves have burnt out. I was just at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and the parts guy told me that there was a TSB from Honda on it. My advice: Get Honda to fix the issue. If they refuse, complain until they do. Customer service is not one of Honda's strengths. They make great cars but uysually they want to believe that it's the owner's fault and not theirs. How many miles do you have? If you have under 105,000 miles, check your Owner's Manual. It recommends the first valve adjustment at 105,000 miles. The problem is Honda should have stated every 30,000 miles on the CRV in the manual. If you call the dealer, the service guy will tell you every 30,000 miles, but the Owner's Manual says every 105,000....... A disaster waiting tio happen!!! That is why there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on the 1999- 2001 models. Because of the higher compression of the B20Z engine over ther 97-98's B20B engine, the later models are more prone to failure. You definitely have a case against them if they refuse. I think that there is a lawyer online planning to file a class action suit against Honda over the matter. You shouldn't be having this problem if you have under 105,00 miles and you've been maintainig the vehicle according to the Owner's Manual. If you mention the problem to the service guy at your local dealer, he will know what you are talking about. His first thought will be the valves.... Even if he doesn't tell you. That's how common it is. That's not to say the CRV isn't a good vehicle. It still is. In all, not that many CRVs have the problem, but number is still more than there should be. I hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #10
Jenmc
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling, rough idle, cold start problems!!!!

I had this same problem. The issue is known by Honda. They even recalled some. Call Honda and ask to speak to Honda Goodwill Assistance. My bill was going to be over $3000 with 2 cylinders gone. I ended up only paying for labor.
Jenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
sumtig
AF Newbie

I am having same problem. It has been idling rough since 60k. got the valve adjusted recently at 79k, seems it is already too late.
sumtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
crvidling
AF Newbie

I have 122,000 miles on my vehicle and I have had this problem for the last 50,000 miles. The car seems to run fine when it is warm. I had my valves adjusted at 100K when I had the timing belt replaced which didn't solve the problem. When the weather is cold, I just have to remember to start the engine 5 to 10 minutes prior to use. Wouldn't my engine have failed by now if I have the same problems people are describing here? or is it just a question of having the valves adjusted just right? I am thinking about going to Honda Goodwill assistance to resolve this issue since I don't seem to be alone on this one.

Thanks.
crvidling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
oregon747
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvidling
I have 122,000 miles on my vehicle and I have had this problem for the last 50,000 miles. The car seems to run fine when it is warm. I had my valves adjusted at 100K when I had the timing belt replaced which didn't solve the problem. When the weather is cold, I just have to remember to start the engine 5 to 10 minutes prior to use. Wouldn't my engine have failed by now if I have the same problems people are describing here? or is it just a question of having the valves adjusted just right? I am thinking about going to Honda Goodwill assistance to resolve this issue since I don't seem to be alone on this one.

Thanks.
I own a 2001 CRV (60K mi) and it has the same problem. The mechanic is going to try to revive cyl. #3 by adjusting the valves. He said it runs better with the new cap & rotor but we shall see. He's charging me $140 for cap/rotor and another $120 for the valve adjustment. Sure hope it works. This thread is old did everyone sell there CRV's or are they still running?
oregon747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
oregon747
AF Newbie

i am waiting for the rep to let me know if they will help. As of right now he's saying if i took it to a authorized dealer they'll help if not i'm SOL. Anyone else with this issue?
oregon747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
Territ
AF Newbie

Doea anyone know if this could explain a problem i have beenhaving with my 2001 CRV? This has never been a fast accelerator but lately I have noticed that the going up slight incline roads, the engine ramps up tp 4000 RPM before switiching into 3rd gear.
Territ is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V