Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #46
My Papa
AF Newbie

Angry

My dealer says they have the fix for the 6.0 but nothing on the 5.3
blur my updates are on a 2004 yukon "new" with 3000 miles, 40 miles on the new muffler/tailpipe. Consumer relations manager
Markus Marino 1-800-462-9782 said he could do nothing but send me a better business form to fill out. I ask for a voucher to get Corsa exhaust installed, he said NO ! I ask for a buy back NO ! or a trade NO ! just give me my money back. This problem is over a year old so I don't have hope for a fix any time soon.

Last edited by My Papa; 11-12-2004 at 10:19 PM.
My Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:44 AM   #47
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Re: Exhaust System Popping/Snaping When Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Papa
My dealer says they have the fix for the 6.0 but nothing on the 5.3
blur my updates are on a 2004 yukon "new" with 3000 miles, 40 miles on the new muffler/tailpipe. Consumer relations manager
Markus Marino 1-800-462-9782 said he could do nothing but send me a better business form to fill out. I ask for a voucher to get Corsa exhaust installed, he said NO ! I ask for a buy back NO ! or a trade NO ! just give me my money back. This problem is iver a year old so I don't have hope for a fix any time soon.
Not knocking you or your situation, nor am I siding with the dealer...but if you can convince any dealer to buy back your vehicle solely because of a popping exhaust--your persuasive/argumentative powers are a hell of a lot better than most other folks! Many state vehicle lemon law buybacks require proof that said issue--if not corrected--would constitute a severe safety hazard to the vehicle operator and/or passengers. As such, one would be hard-pressed to prove/convince the dealer and/or manufacturer that a popping exhaust can constitute a safety hazard...especially since the manufacturer has apparently acknowledged and researched the issue (popping exhaust) to the point that, at least for now, it hasn't issued a recall for it.
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:27 PM   #48
the blur
AF Enthusiast

I got the straps put on today. only time will tell..how effective it is.
GM is NOT buying back a vehicle over a noisy exhaust... let's be realistic !!
the blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:04 AM   #49
sunbeam7011
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Exhaust System Popping/Snaping When Hot

I cant believe this thread is still going on.... They all pop and bang. Mine did terrible- it sounded like a .22 being shot. I was going to replace it anyway. I like to add a few things anyway -K&N series 77, Gibson headers, Flowmaster 60. Its all worth it, trust me.

Why would anyone want a stock exhaust in the first place? They suck -clanging or not! I (like I have done with all my vehicles since I was 20) simply bought a Flowmaster on-line for $90, went down to my local muffler shop, paid him about $50 and $10 for a nice welded chrome tip and 30 minutes later I a great PERFORMING exhaust that sounds sweet to boot.

I say take your losses (we all have to sometimes for certain things -this one happens to be a muffler on a car) and do the right thing anyway and thats put on a better muffler aftermarket.

-I simply had the muffler replaced, not the pipes. It was a 100% fix. It's the mufler thats causing the noise. The factory 3" tail pipe section is nice and stainless steel, so I elected to keep mine on with a shash cut crome tip....looks sharp.

...you know the more I think about it, I belive the truck was trying to tell me something; communicating to me it's discord with that big pile of heap of a stock muffler to begin with! Listen to your cars people!
sunbeam7011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 07:42 PM   #50
the blur
AF Enthusiast

why would I want a ratty sounding flowmaster ??
why would I want to subject my wife and kids to a loud exhaust?
you think on a 5 hour road trip, I want to hear a loud ratty exhaust.

if I want to hear a loud car, I'll drive my race car. when I want luxury and a soft comfty seat, I'll drive my ALL STOCK Denali.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:24 PM   #51
sunbeam7011
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blur
why would I want a ratty sounding flowmaster ??
why would I want to subject my wife and kids to a loud exhaust?
you think on a 5 hour road trip, I want to hear a loud ratty exhaust.

if I want to hear a loud car, I'll drive my race car. when I want luxury and a soft comfty seat, I'll drive my ALL STOCK Denali.

..Yes a 40 or 50 series I guess would sound "ratty".. the 60 I run on the Yukon is just over stock sound. Has some balls. Sweet idle and powerful exceleration. Nice highway drone doing 84 MPH @ 3200 RMP. Certainly no more offensive then the overgrown mail jeep sound the stock exhaust had. Not to mention the "ping" and "pong" that emitted from its underside with that stock trash barrel GM calls a muffler. Before people would either A). flea in fear of being shot at or B). run outside thinking I was the mailman.

My wife has an 2000 sierra sportside with a 40 series; put it on 2 weeks after we bought it new -she loves it! I would say that it is certainly not condusive to a cross country trip (room and sound). Its a 2WD pickup, so that is fine for that, but I agree not on a yukon. I had an FM60 on my 99 Denali and it sounded good too hence I did it again with this 04'

I dont have kids. So I dont have to worry about little Jimmy waking up after he popped himself in the back of the ole' SUV. I suppose my wife is "ratty" now that you mention it? She did strip for a while, so I guess that makes her trashy too!

Im glad you love your vehicle as much as I do mine...even if its stock. .....Come to think of it, all the vehicles I ever owned were once stock too....
Old 11-12-2004, 12:27 PM   #52
sunbeam7011
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Exhaust System Popping/Snaping When Hot

[quote=the blur]I got the straps put on today. only time will tell..how effective it is.

.......The only straps put on should be in the bedroom........

Shilds, straps, going back to the dealer; what a waste of time. Get over it people and BUY a real muffler.

.....straps, give me a break. The stock muffler blows. It has design issues.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:38 PM   #53
the blur
AF Enthusiast

it's nice to know retired strippers get married.... some of them are georgous.

it's also nice to know you can pay $50K for a truck, and think it's reasonable to accept a design flaw. I'll let the dealer deal with the issues and flaws until 36K miles pass. Then I'll play with it.

actually the snapping - popping don't really bother me, and it only happens when I'm towing my 6000lb race car trailer, and the truck is working hard.

The other sh!t bothers me, like the intermediate shaft. and all the other minor annoying stuff that the dealer can't seem to fix.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:18 PM   #54
My Papa
AF Newbie

I'm surprised that aftermarket dealers like Flowmaster and Gibson had never heard of this problem with exhaust popping. You would think they would be on top this one just to sell parts.
My Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:51 PM   #55
sunbeam7011
AF Newbie

it's also nice to know you can pay $50K for a truck, and think it's reasonable to accept a design flaw. I'll let the dealer deal with the issues and flaws until 36K miles pass. Then I'll play with it.

...Yes, you are correct and I agree. Point well stated and unfortunatly true. You, I or anyone else should not have to tolorate, or pay for something like this when it should "work" in the first place. But as I said, sometimes we have to take or losses; take the good with the bad ... I guess what Im tring to say, as you have mentioned too, is that GM seems not to willing to jump on this issue right away. Its a joke to me, and I think should be appearent to everyone else, that they are not going to replace these things in the 100's of thousands of units out there driving around the streets causing mayhem of what seems to be sparatic gun fire throught the neighborhoods of Centerville. Or that we should think a "strap" is the "fix" for a junk a*s muffler when they just simply need to replace it or offer a voucher to selected muffler shops and have someone else replace it. In my case, I just had a new muffler put on anyway -regardless of popping or not, I was fixin' to have the heap removed anyhow.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:10 AM   #56
the blur
AF Enthusiast

you can always sell the stock system on ebay. someone will buy it
Old 11-13-2004, 08:42 AM   #57
sunbeam7011
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Exhaust System Popping/Snaping When Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blur
you can always sell the stock system on ebay. someone will buy it

...ya -sucker born every minute they say!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:19 AM   #58
Zeinali
AF Newbie

The same thing happens to my truck, after coming home, very noisy after shutting it off.
Zeinali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:03 PM   #59
261shepgap
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocbd
My 2004 Yukon with 3800 miles has this problem. It is very annoying to have people turn and stare when I pull into a parking lot. I think they think they are under fire!

My dealership said they had a bulletin to repair the problem. They installed a heat shield that did not help at all.

I took it back and they listened to it again. This time they pulled out the dreaded Document 1405265 and said there is nothing to be done but wait for GM engineering to come up with a solution.

I called GM customer service to complain. They were of no help. They contacted the 'area service manager'. They refuse to buy back the vehicle and they refuse to correct the problem. They told me I would have to wait until engineering comes up with a solution.

Needless to say - I won't buy another GM product.

UPDATE - about 30 minutes after I posted this my dealership called and said GM released a bulletin today regarding this. He said it involved a new shield. I explained I already had a shield installed and he said this is a new bulletin. The parts are on order - I can only hope this will fix the problem.
I have had my 04 Yukon in for the exhaust popping noise twice so far. They could relyyy not care less about the proble. Im wondering if this warranty is worth the paper its written on? Disgusted with GM already.
261shepgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:23 PM   #60
inferno73
AF Newbie

I had the same incident happen with my 2003, after about 15 mins. it would stop. Now that you mention it, It's been about 2 weeks now that I haven't heard it. I think the problem will go away on its own. (it only took mine 11 months hee hee hee)
inferno73 is offline   Reply With Quote