Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #46
RedGTS
AF Newbie

Is it possible to retrofit one of the newer XM capable and/or nav units into an 01 Denali? My cd changer looks just like the one copout posted above, and I don't think GM changed the dash layout on the newer Denalis did it? Thanks!
RedGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:29 AM   #47
copout221
AF Regular

Re: 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGTS
Is it possible to retrofit one of the newer XM capable and/or nav units into an 01 Denali? My cd changer looks just like the one copout posted above, and I don't think GM changed the dash layout on the newer Denalis did it? Thanks!

No, it cannot be done on any 2002 or older GM trucks because of the new serial bus communication standard that is now being used. Basically, the new radios have to read the vehicles vin # through the serial bus to operate. The radio locks in the vin number so the radio cannot be used in any other GM vehicle if stolen. Also, this new standard allows GM techs to program certain features of the radio and reset it through the OBD port with a scanner. Here is some more info on the new serial bus standard, it is a real pain in the A$$ !! Click on this link >> http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/arcv_pdf/9_02_e.pdf and select "new radio requires reprogramming" . You need to have ADOBE to view it.
copout221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #48
RedGTS
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to go with an add-on unit of some sort, or just wait until I trade her in for a new one.
RedGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:37 AM   #49
dpauley1
AF Newbie

Anyone know what the part number is for that navigation radio? I belive that its on a sticker on the back of the radio. The number for the cadilac is 15204334, but I am concerned that that one when started up will show the cadilac symbol. Also, I need the part number for the DVD as well.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
Dave
dpauley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:44 PM   #50
Vintalage
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Vintalage Send a message via MSN to Vintalage

It will not show the cadillac start-up screen. The one that I have was out of a buick and when I turn it on, it displays "PONTIAC." Appearantly, the unit reads a code that tells it what type of vehicle it's in and shows the correct brand start up screen.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:08 PM   #51
copout221
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpauley1
Anyone know what the part number is for that navigation radio? I belive that its on a sticker on the back of the radio. The number for the cadilac is 15204334, but I am concerned that that one when started up will show the cadilac symbol. Also, I need the part number for the DVD as well.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
Dave
The radio is the same for all the GM vehicles. If you install a cadillac nav radio into a GMC it will display GMC. It knows what type of vehicle it is in by the vin number. The radio does NOT come with the GPS antenna so you will need that to work also.

Radio Part #15204334

Nav Disc Part#15105609

GPS antenna Part#15207447
Old 01-12-2004, 11:40 PM   #52
tfoster3
AF Newbie

I'm looking for some info if any anyone can help that would be great. I have 2003 GMC Sierra CrewCab 2500HD. I bought the Nav radio, Nav disc, & Nav ant. I installed all of it and took it to the dealership to have them reprogram it with there Tech 2 device. After trying several times and calling GM tech support they concluded it couldn't be done. They said the problem was I had the wrong amp. GM tech support said that I needed an amplifier that comes out of a Denali or an Escalade. These amps have a class II data bus in them and my amp does not. The bad thing about that is that it cost $650.00 from the dealer and there is nothing saying it will work. Any input is welcomed.
Thanks
Todd
tfoster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:53 AM   #53
copout221
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoster3
I'm looking for some info if any anyone can help that would be great. I have 2003 GMC Sierra CrewCab 2500HD. I bought the Nav radio, Nav disc, & Nav ant. I installed all of it and took it to the dealership to have them reprogram it with there Tech 2 device. After trying several times and calling GM tech support they concluded it couldn't be done. They said the problem was I had the wrong amp. GM tech support said that I needed an amplifier that comes out of a Denali or an Escalade. These amps have a class II data bus in them and my amp does not. The bad thing about that is that it cost $650.00 from the dealer and there is nothing saying it will work. Any input is welcomed.
Thanks
Todd
This is the first I have heard of the amp being different but it really does not surprise me. I would suggest finding the amp used and trying it. I am sure you could find it on e-bay or at http://www.car-part.com/ for a resonable price. If you don't have the bose system to start with you will NOT be able to get the nav radio to work even with a new amp. The entire structure of the Bose system is different.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:07 AM   #54
tfoster3
AF Newbie

I do have the bose system currently. I am searching for the part to try. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #55
Vintalage
AF Newbie

I do not have the bose amp. I have the monsoon amp and it works perfectly fine. I noticed a sound improvement over the old stock radio.

Question tfoster3. Does the radio turn on at all? If so, unplug the unit and let it sit for 1 min. Then plug it back in and turn the key to ACC. Do not turn it to ON. The unit should be fully functional in this mode. When you turn it to on, appearantly the BCM sends information to the radio at which point the radio locks out. At least that is what happened when my nav unit wasn't reprogrammed. Let me know what happens.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:06 PM   #56
jeanpv
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Re: Denali Navigation system

Quote:
Originally Posted by copout221
Here is one on ebay now with no bids yet >> Click Here for Nav radio auction . If you can get this unit for under $1700.00 it is a good buy since it includes the antenna and DVD map disc. You would just need an owners manual. If I didn't already have one I would buy this unit in a heartbeat!!

Also, you can order one brand new from Mike in parts at Cadillac of Menlo Park in California (650) 688-1543. He will sell you one for $1730.00 plus s/h BUT that does not include GPS antenna and DVD map disc. He only has a few left in stock.
Hey man, I appreciate the info you gave me. I called Mike, and will beordering soon! Does the factory 6 indash changer work with the newer nav system as well?
jeanpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:16 PM   #57
tfoster3
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintalage
I do not have the bose amp. I have the monsoon amp and it works perfectly fine. I noticed a sound improvement over the old stock radio.

Question tfoster3. Does the radio turn on at all? If so, unplug the unit and let it sit for 1 min. Then plug it back in and turn the key to ACC. Do not turn it to ON. The unit should be fully functional in this mode. When you turn it to on, appearantly the BCM sends information to the radio at which point the radio locks out. At least that is what happened when my nav unit wasn't reprogrammed. Let me know what happens.

The radio turns on and off just fine. The problem I have is there is no sound from the tuner and no chimes. The tuner shows channel signal and also shows the text for the song and artist. The Nav portion works fine and there is audio with the Nav system. My vehicle didn't have OnStar or XM originally so maybe that has something to do with it.
tfoster3
Old 01-13-2004, 03:44 PM   #58
Vintalage
AF Newbie

The only thing I can think of is that the pins for the amp don't match up. Now i'm not sure if the nav unit requires an external amp but from my understanding, it does. But the oem external amps do not have the databus system. You just connect it and it works.

What I can't understand is why you need a bose amp. These new databus radios are suppose to detect what kind of amp is plugged in. When I disconnected my oem monsoon amp when I had the old stock radio in and I turned on the radio, I would see "BOSE" show up instead of "MONSOON."
Old 01-13-2004, 10:11 PM   #59
04silveradoSS
AF Newbie

pleaase help!!

I just purchased the 04 silverado SS ...equipped with the six disk indash xm bose system. First i must say for 42,000 one would think that this truck would be equipped with nav stock....but no. So now I am faced with the task it looks like u guys have been succesfull with.

ok the question is when u re3moved ur stock deck did the unit just plug and play with the existing harnress ....or did u have to cut and hardwire?

one more question is since mine is currently the six disk indash system and will be removed .....what changer can i hook up to this unit?

thanks for any help!!
04silveradoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:30 PM   #60
tfoster3
AF Newbie

If you use a factory replacement such as the Nav system it will be plug and play.
There is a company by the name of Soundgate which makes alot of different interface modules. They have one that allows you to use an aftermaket CD changer. There web is http://www.soundgate.com