Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 08:53 PM   #1
DenaliMCD
AF Newbie

Parking Brake

I have a 2001 Denali, my Uncle has a 2002 Chevy Silverado, and my friend has a 2001 Yukon SLT and we have all noticed that our parking brakes have not worked ever...Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so to see if anyone has a fix for it cause our friend got stuck on the boat launch ramp because of a torque locked transmission from the weight. When i push the pedal it goes all the way to the floor and if the tranny is in neutral the truck just rolls away. so i need to do something quick.

Last edited by DenaliMCD; 08-24-2003 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:33 PM   #2
Blue Belle
AF Newbie

Parking Brake

I have the same problem. Did anyone came back with a solution?
Old 09-21-2003, 01:48 AM   #3
DenaliMCD
AF Newbie

No Solutions yet

Sorry no one has posted a solution or e-mailed me with one. As soon as i have one i will post it though!!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
ntramel
AF Newbie

Same Problem

I'm having the same problem. The pedal goes to the floor with the parking brake cable adjusted as tight as it will go. The dealership is telling me that there is a separate set of pads for the parking brake actuator. I haven't seen that in other rear disk systems. They are telling me that it is about a $350 repair on a vehicle still under warranty (friction surfaces not under warranty).

Is there really a separate set of pads for the parking brake???
Old 10-15-2003, 07:00 PM   #5
DenaliMCD
AF Newbie

Seperate Pads

Yes it is true that there are seperate brakes for the parking brake. Don't know why GM did this but they did, there is an actual small drum brake inside the rear wheel brakes that are for the parking brake purpose. they are crap and do not work and they were only designed to hold about 1200rpm new. The first time you drive off with it on, even slightly, they are shot. My Uncle told me this about a week ago, he works in the service department at a Chevy Dealer. He also told me that they do not have a solution to it because it isn't a warranty item even though it is more of a hazard to people than the folding seats in the second row that have a recall because someone pinched their fingers?
Old 10-18-2003, 10:17 AM   #6
Jas. Hoppa
AF Newbie

Re: Seperate Pads

Howdy all,

With 110,000 hi-way miles on our 2001 Yukon Denai XL, the emergency brake bracket that attaches the pads to the drum on the drivers side has failed twice due to the poor design that suspends the pads allowing them to vibrate, fatique, and then break allowing the pads to fall inside the drum and then score/cut a grove in the drum causing it to be replaced. The first time this happened I thought it was a fluke as I never heard any noise coming from the wheels. On the passenger side the pads are mounted at the bottom of the drum reducing the vibration. Because I never use the emergency brake, and the repair/replacement is expensive, until I find a solution I have removed the pad assemblys from both drums. Dealers only shrugg their shoulders and say it is a poor design!!! Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution? You may want to have your parking brakes inspected. As I said, you don't hear the damage happening and it is expensive to repair.

Thank-you,

Jas. Hoppa
Old 10-23-2003, 09:55 PM   #7
MDStockton
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Seperate Pads

We have just found out that we have the exact same issue as you, Hoppa. We actually had a slight noise that we had investigated by a non-dealer repair shop, who told us the exact problem you describe above. This repair shop told us that his was the 5th one this month they have worked on with the same problem. When we went to the dealer, they said they had never heard of the problem. We got an extended warranty, but my guess is that this will not be covered. So, in order to get the vehicle back quickly and without the usual headaches we have at the local dealer, we will probably just shell out the cash and get it over with. Too bad you pay so much for a vehicle only to get poor design and poor service.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:31 AM   #8
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Re: Re: Seperate Pads

There is a tech bulletin on this issue.
It includes new shoes and retainers and a new adjustment procedure.
I have had great sucess with it so far.
I own a 02 Serria w/ 47000 miles on it and have never had a problem with my parking brakes.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
Old 10-24-2003, 01:24 PM   #9
stvcorrell
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 Suburban with a parking brake problem as well. I just bought it from the first owner and it never occured to me to try the parking brake and when I did, boy was I surprised. No tension at all on it. When I asked the original owner, he said they'd never used it once.

Now, every so often we also get the parking brake warning light and chime going off sporadically...only at first start up. Then after 3-5 minutes, it turns off. Anyone else have this problem?

GMMerlin, you said there's a tech bulletin on this issue now? I'm not sure what a "tech bulletin" entails, but it does sound official. Before I head to the dealer clutching my wallet, I thought I'd check you with you fine folk first.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #10
stvcorrell
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 Suburban with a parking brake problem as well. I just bought it from the first owner and it never occured to me to try the parking brake and when I did, boy was I surprised. No tension at all on it. When I asked the original owner, he said they'd never used it once.

Now, every so often we also get the parking brake warning light and chime going off sporadically...only at first start up. Then after 3-5 minutes, it turns off. Anyone else have this problem?

GMMerlin, you said there's a tech bulletin on this issue now? I'm not sure what a "tech bulletin" entails, but it does sound official. Before I head to the dealer clutching my wallet, I thought I'd check you with you fine folk first.

Steve
Old 10-24-2003, 02:15 PM   #11
stvcorrell
AF Newbie

Regarding the 2002 Suburban warning parking light and chime going off, it might help to mention the following for diagnosing my problem:

- the previous owner had the dealer check out the brakes the day before I purchased the car. The diagnosis was that the brake pads looked only about half worn.

- the ABS light is NOT on

- pressing and releasing the parking break does not deactivate the alarm. It seems to have a mind of its own as to when it wants to turn off. As stated before, it usually takes 3-5 minutes of driving.

- It does not happen every start up...maybe half the time. When it does happen, the parking brake warning light flashes immediately AT startup, and turning off the engine, restarting; or just turning off the key and back to on position does not remedy it.

All of this started soon after I decided to test the parking brake!

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 10-24-2003, 04:10 PM   #12
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Parking Brake

A tech bulletin is information sent to us by the engineers on fixes for some product problems....may include revisions on diagnostic procedures, new parts or change in operation of a system.
When we in the field see a certain problem, we send in a report to GM, they do research and develop a correction....
This by no means makes a repair a warranty issue for the consumer, but a way for us to improve customer satisfaction and confidence in our product.

What may be happening is the parking brake and cable are out of adjustment or stuck bad enough to engage the switch causing the light and chime to activate.
GM WCT

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
Old 10-24-2003, 09:31 PM   #13
stvcorrell
AF Newbie

Thanks for your reply GMMerlin,

As I read your post, I have two questions:

1. Parking brake adjustment... With ABS and rear disc brakes (knowing that the parking brake uses a drum on the rear wheel hub), can a parking brake on a 2002 Suburban still be adusted by the reverse/brake, reverse/brake method? Or does it need to happen manually?

2. Where is the switch that activates the parking brake warning light located? They used to be right there by the pb pedal. I didn't find one there.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-26-2003, 07:04 AM   #14
GMMerlin
I know stuff

As I read your post, I have two questions:

1. Parking brake adjustment... With ABS and rear disc brakes (knowing that the parking brake uses a drum on the rear wheel hub), can a parking brake on a 2002 Suburban still be adusted by the reverse/brake, reverse/brake method? Or does it need to happen manually?

There is no self adjuster assembly in the park brake system..it has to be adjusted manually

2. Where is the switch that activates the parking brake warning light located? They used to be right there by the pb pedal. I didn't find one there.

It is located on the park brake ratchet assembly...if the return spring or cables are misadjusted, it may allow the pedal to fall enough to engage the switch
GM WCT

PM Me for details
Old 10-26-2003, 06:14 PM   #15
stvcorrell
AF Newbie

Hey GMMerlin,

To adjust parking brake, do I need to remove rear wheels, caliper and rotor to adjust? In the good ol' days, we'd go through the backside (inside wheel hub housing) brake adjustment hole to access the hub brake adjusters.

Regarding the warning light and chime, strangely enough, it seems that it only wants to go off when the car is cold (first thing in the morning) and turns off after the car warms up a bit. Surely that can't be related to the warning signal, but that's when it happens so far.

Thanks for your replies,

Steve

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon