Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

Can I swap my 350lb srpings to the rear and get some 600lbers for the front? (or 550)

First off... looking at the car it looks like the coilovers are the same on all 4 corners w/ the only difference being the spring rates. Assuming they're the same size etc I'd like to swap my 350 fronts to the rear and get new fronts... can I do that?

I checked the PNs and verified that I have 350 front springs and 200 rear... pretty darn soft.

Shold I get 550 front or 600? My buddy said that w/ a coil over all the sprnig pressure is gone once the car is in the air, so I can just remove the coil over, pop off the top retainer, and swap springs... easy peazy... yes?
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Soflow1
AF Newbie

Re: Can I swap my 350lb srpings to the rear and get some 600lbers for the front? (or 550)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra4B
First off... looking at the car it looks like the coilovers are the same on all 4 corners w/ the only difference being the spring rates. Assuming they're the same size etc I'd like to swap my 350 fronts to the rear and get new fronts... can I do that?

I checked the PNs and verified that I have 350 front springs and 200 rear... pretty darn soft.

Shold I get 550 front or 600? My buddy said that w/ a coil over all the sprnig pressure is gone once the car is in the air, so I can just remove the coil over, pop off the top retainer, and swap springs... easy peazy... yes?
Your buddy is right ,"yes" you can swap the springs from front to rear as easy as you described. However, I'm not sure the Koni shocks used on the GTRA will stand-up to the 550# spring rate.

I'm sure you realize after you've done this swap that the car's ride height will need to be reset and re-corner weighted on scales.
Soflow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Blue Streak 21
AF Regular

Re: Can I swap my 350lb srpings to the rear and get some 600lbers for the front? (or 550)

I'm going to do the same thing. The suggestions I've been given by John (Panoz Lead Engr) and Gary Jones was to go to 550# up front and swap the 350# to the rear. That's where the Series cars start with springs. This might be soft as well, especially for smooth tracks.
I'm sourcing springs right now. My car has H&R springs. The P/N is R25100350 on the front and R25100200 on the rear.
Please let me know if you run into any trouble with the swap. I'll do the same.
Soflow1 is correct that the car will need to have it's ride height re-set and corner weights balanced (corner-to-corner) after this operation.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

^ Yep I know... I'll most likely do it after my first NASA event end of February. I was curious about the Konis too... I was goning to get fresh Konis and do the spring chang-a-roo and ad a rear swaybar to dial in the car.
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS