Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 06:41 AM   #1
agapehme
AF Enthusiast

Visit to Active Autowerke

AA experience.

Before my visit to Florida I posted a thread on the DTM board about good shops in Florida. If you remember that was about the time I posted a thread about tires for my M3 (Khumo tires) March 2002. when we were talking about tires. So the plan was to drive down on the snows and change tires there, in Florida.

I got a reply from “Prestige” and other members telling me to check out AA. After a couple PM’s to prestige and questions about AA, I was told he worked there. At that time he was driving a 329I, yes you read correct a “ 329I”. What in the world is a 329?? What happened he had a short shift kit put in his car and while driving he shifted from fifth to second. As I found out later he was not the only one who had done this very same thing. The motor sustained engine damage and needed a rebuild. Head work and a host of other things was done. Can’t really remember all the details. By now after talking with Prestige and reading write up’s on AA, I was beginning to feel like a kid with Christmas 2 weeks away.

Got to Florida and went for a visit on a Saturday morning. Pulled into AA parking lot and there was his car, a Three Twenty whatever, 2 M3’s, 318TI that did not look so, shall we say timid as I always though, also 325I and others.

A quick glance into the shop and cars with open hoods, a Dyno, muffler system on the ground under cars on hoists and a flurry of activity every where. Hmmmm…. I was greeted by Prestige, a mild mannered fellow that loves “hp” rush, took me over to his car and flew the hood. The car was white, clean and understated from the outside. A flip of the switch and there was nothing. Oh yes the car started but nothing spectacular, no fire works. I though to my self well!? Until a series of quick stab on the gas pedal revealed a not so tame 325I motor. There was the popular AA CAI looking back at me, and an AA exhaust system that was music. At idle it was quiet as if it was completely stock. We went in the shop for a tour. They had cars trailered in from Washington, one from South America, one from Carolina and others. Turbo, Big brake kits, Inter coolers etc. Remember that not so timid 318 TI, try a Turbo charged brute somewhere around 300hp. A 420hp M3 with water injection for the Turbo and the list goes on. A no nonsense show room, clean and stocked with crossed drilled rotors, wheels etc. These guys were serious and had serious customers. I must admit, I felt a bit out of place and way out of my league.

Back to his car and off for a little drive. We pull out of the shop with the air condition at full tilt, a left, left then a quick right. I am thinking OK now, this is essentially it is a 325I with motor repair, what can really happen especially with the air condition hogging all that power. After turning right in first gear, he nailed it. There was a instant music from the rear AA exhaust syatem and music from the front CAI as the rpm climbs. I am waiting to feel major wheel spin, ASC retardation, sudden grip that would send the rear end waving to the unsuspecting drivers around us, chassis twist and a host of other quirks, Nada!!!!!!!! The car sat, gripped and went. A split second and a hand full of second and we were off. Launched down the street like you are in a video game. There was a slight trace wheel spin from the right rear but you really have to expecting it to really feel it. All with the air full blast!! I was impressed, the brakes worked real well too!!!

The car was pretty flat. No pitch and roll with launch or braking. It was lowered as expected with 18”’s, a little harsh for me but at 42 my butt has had it’s share of bumps. The short shifter works real well!!!! Smooth, precise and looks good too.

AA have some awesome upgrades for BMW’s at the higher price points that gives hp to spare. However, I just wonder how many Bimmer owners would be benefit from a little lower level tuning. Maybe it’s being done, I am not sure., Prestige would have to answer that for us.

From the Owner to the mechanics and especially Prestige, my brief visit felt like a candy store Roller Coaster mix at 13years of age. Some may not be impressed with my visit, but, it’s my story. As to being out of my league, that feeling also went by the way side. There was no pressure to purchase anything.

Visiting Miami? Make Active Autowerke a part of your plans. It’s worth it.

agapehme is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series