Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Small Engines ATVs Go Karts and Lawn Mowers etc
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Small Engines ATVs Go Karts and Lawn Mowers etc From ATVs to Watercraft, Go karts to Lawn Mowers, discuss your small engines here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #1
kcg795
AF Regular

I wish my mower was fuel injected.

I have a John Deere SRX 95 with that crappy Kawasaki engine. Biggest mistake John Deere made right there. It runs like ass. If I run a poor quality gas in it, it'll run like ass and continue to run like ass even though I drained the tank and refueled it with fresh. Then I'd remove the carburetor and clean it and it'd run like an angel until I end up putting shitty gas in it again. So, I got fresh gas in it now and it's still running like shit. It'll run good for about a minute, then start to miss and die. Sometimes, it'll run better with the choke on. NOW!!! If this was a fuel injected engine, I wouldn't have this fucking problem!!! Fuel injection is much more capable of tolorating shitty fuel and is less likely to clog up since it's a higher pressure system. It also pops and backfires a lot. Guess I gotta take apart the carburetor again and figure this out, AGAIN!!! If only the government would mandate fuel injection for lawn equipment too, we wouldn't have these problems that carburetors often have. Not only that, but fuel injection uses less fuel, creates more power, and pollutes less. CARBURETORS SUCK!!!!!
kcg795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six
Re: I wish my mower was fuel injected.

can't you get a fuel-injected kawasaki engine that fits?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Just get a Chevy Big Block 502 EFI Ram Jet. You will mow your lawn in a fraction of the time.

Sounds like your engine doesnt like old gas, or low grade. It doesnt sound like a huge problem with the carb, rather the quality of gas introduced in it. Is this 83 octane? Has it been sitting around for a month or so?

Have you ever tried running it on 87 or 93? Perhaps used a little octane booster?

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
kcg795
AF Regular

Our lowest grade her is 87. I'm using Shell. I finally found the problem. I took apart the carburetor and cleaned it out. Everything looked ok. I put it back together only to run like shit again and stall every 10 seconds. Then I removed the fuel line from the fuel tank and attached another one on it and tried to blow through it, but I couldn't blow. Barely at all. So I removed the shutoff valve, which the hose attaches to, only to find out that it was clogged. So I washed it in hot water while picking it out with a toothpick until I could easily blow through it. I put it back together and it's running much better now. I was able to get a patch of lawn done without stalling.

I still hate carburetors though.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

i'd say get a supercharged fuel injected 854ci V8, that would get the job done pretty quick.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
kcg795
AF Regular

Well, I broke the damn belt again. John Deere just lost a customer. I'm getting a Poulan with the 20 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. Too bad it's still carbureted. But Briggs and Stratton engines are 1,000,000 times more reliable than Kawasaki engines.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg795
Well, I broke the damn belt again. John Deere just lost a customer. I'm getting a Poulan with the 20 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. Too bad it's still carbureted. But Briggs and Stratton engines are 1,000,000 times more reliable than Kawasaki engines.
B&S engines are amazingly durable. I've actually seen a B&S Push mower withstand a 60shot of nitrous for several minutes and never killed the engine.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
kcg795
AF Regular

I had a Briggs and Stratton that had almost no compression. Had to mix oil with the gas just to restore some lost compression so I could mow. This was a push mower by the way. I finally decided to finish it off by draining all the oil out and running it at full throttle, without the governor. It lasted for 45 minutes before seizing. Then I broke it loose and got it to run again. I was hoping something inside would blow, but it didn't. Then I took it apart and the piston and cylinder were all scuffed to shit.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

another solution is to get an old lawn boy push mower. my family has had one for over 25 years and it's starting to go now. that thing lasted so long and i'm sure i could get a few more years out of it if i fiddled with it for a while.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:22 AM   #10
kcg795
AF Regular

I decided to take the old belt into the John Deere dealer and they were able to inspect it and give me an idea why it failed. There's a guard by the engine pulley that needs to be adjusted just right. It has to be 30/1000th away from the pulley. They said to either use a feeler gauge or the cardboard that the belt comes with would work just fine. So my Dad paid for a new belt. I installed it and adjusted that guard just like they suggested. I finished the yard and the belt still looks pretty new. I can still see the writing. I think the other belt lost the writing after one mowing.

I did look at the other mowers while I was there. I saw some of the engines say "Hemispherical cylinder head." I say to my Dad, "Hey, this one's gotta Hemi!" Kinda funny if you ask me. My engine has been running a lot better. I think this is the first time I've mowed and still had gas leftover.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
GaryFenza
AF Regular

dude, i have a older Johna deere witha Kalawsoki, and the engine is GREAT< never had a SECOND of trouble with it, and we got the tractor back in 1988 before i was born, and i love that tractor, thing still cuts like a charm, wouldnt trade it in for any modern mower out no adays!!!
GaryFenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #12
jimbob3
AF Newbie

Talking Re: I wish my mower was fuel injected.

is there any way i can drill a hole in my riding lawn mowers exhaust and make it sound deep and throaty, if not can i do anything to make it sound different?
jimbob3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #13
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

well yes there is, you said it. if you WANT your lawn mower to be louder you can cut a hole in the exhaust, the question is why would you want to? it's going to be loud, annoy your neighbours, and it's not going to improve the performance at all, not that you really need a boost in performance. also, you could just remove the muffler, or the whole exhaust, then it would be really loud and it would be "alot faster" lol.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #14
haul0348
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: I wish my mower was fuel injected.

Higher than 87 % octane will burn the valve train out on a small engine. You may could retro fit it with a diesel this would be a way to get away from the carb setup. Mine has a 24 hp twin cylinder Briggs 54" deck briggs truly is the best engine i have ever used and i really beat the crap out of it and it takes it. Has anyone saw the new 35hp they put out this year?
haul0348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:06 AM   #15
kcg795
AF Regular

Well, so far, my mower's been running great.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Small Engines ATVs Go Karts and Lawn Mowers etc