Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 09:32 PM   #1
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

There really is no point to this.

Quote:
We're all Americans here huh?
We really don't need to prove that American muscle cars are better, there are no such things as Japanese muscle cars, and who's been building cars longer. We are the best period.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af
Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcatkin
We really don't need to prove that American muscle cars are better, there are no such things as Japanese muscle cars, and who's been building cars longer. We are the best period.
Im afraid we ARENT the best period. Id buy a Nissan over a chevy or ford car any day; they are good quality and have good power. This whole "American cars are the best period" BS is so stupid; open your eyes and see that there are better cars than just the ones made in the United States.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:58 AM   #3
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mikegee

Quote:

if we are better simple because we have been building cars longer then how come the most sold car in the world is a japanese car. and the 3 cars in the world with the most miles on paper are an accord and a 1970 something volvo?
Old 12-13-2003, 02:38 PM   #4
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILike2DriveCars
Im afraid we ARENT the best period. Id buy a Nissan over a chevy or ford car any day; they are good quality and have good power. This whole "American cars are the best period" BS is so stupid; open your eyes and see that there are better cars than just the ones made in the United States.
Quote:
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink.
I'm not going to argue the Jap vs American thing here anymore, but what I will say is this. I have oned both kinds of cars, and I don't care what JDPowers or anybody else says, my GMC truck lasted every bit as long as my Toyota, and longer then MY VW. I can say the same thing for my 1969 Z/28, prove me wrong using anything you wish to use.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:49 PM   #5
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegee
if we are better simple because we have been building cars longer then how come the most sold car in the world is a japanese car. and the 3 cars in the world with the most miles on paper are an accord and a 1970 something volvo?
Quote:
Doesn't mean it's better
The most sold cars are Japanese cars a lot due to the fact that they cost less, and yes they are very dependable. But not more dependable then an American car, any car that you maintain correctly will be dependable and last for a long time, and every car company be it Japanese or American has had recalls IE made an error along the building process somewhere. All I ask on the milage thing is a little proof, I do think that JDPowers and some of the mags that study these things are just a bit biased, but so am I big deal huh.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:57 PM   #6
zigm28
AF Newbie

Although I have never owned a foreign car, I would definitely consider buying a foreign car for the gas mileage. As far as overall quality, I believe you will find a lemon among all makes and models. You hear about them more than you do about vehicles with no problems.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:38 PM   #7
Reaper106
AF Newbie

American all the way.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:30 AM   #8
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
The most sold cars are Japanese cars a lot due to the fact that they cost less, and yes they are very dependable. But not more dependable then an American car, any car that you maintain correctly will be dependable and last for a long time, and every car company be it Japanese or American has had recalls IE made an error along the building process somewhere. All I ask on the milage thing is a little proof, I do think that JDPowers and some of the mags that study these things are just a bit biased, but so am I big deal huh.

true..... (to each his own) i would rather buy a toyota corrolla over lets just say a pontiac grand prix gt. better gas milage, more reliable and a much cheaper car.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:47 PM   #9
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
true..... (to each his own) i would rather buy a toyota corrolla over lets just say a pontiac grand prix gt. better gas milage, more reliable and a much cheaper car.
Quote:
Cheaper yes.
Well your right, it does get better gas milage, and it is cheaper to buy.
It is not more dependable, proof is all I ask.

you can fool some of the people some of the time, but can you fool all of the people all of the time.

1) let me ask, is cheaper always better.
2) would you rather see your mom driving a little beer can, or a car like a Cadillac with a little substance. Does it make you feel better to know the mom has a sixteenth of sheet metal between her and the road, or a big frame and a lot more metal.
3) Is cheaper really better.
4)I'll give you the gas milage.
5)The Grand Prix will out last you Toyota.
6) I have owned a Toyota.
7)If cheaper is always better, sould they always use the cheapest parts possible to build their cars.
8) Other then manufacturing cost being cheaper in Japan, how do you think they get these thing built for so much less.
9) After being in the body shop business I do know this, the japanese use sub standard metal in comparisan to us.
10) It just makes good sence to keep the money in our country.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:51 AM   #10
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:

you can fool some of the people some of the time, but can you fool all of the people all of the time.

2) would you rather see your mom driving a little beer can, or a <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A> like a Cadillac with a little substance. Does it make you feel better to know the mom has a sixteenth of sheet metal between her and the road, or a big frame and a lot more metal.
7)If cheaper is always better, sould they always use the cheapest parts possible to build their cars.
8) Other then manufacturing cost being cheaper in Japan, how do you think they get these thing built for so much less.
9) After being in the body shop business I do know this, the japanese use sub standard metal in comparisan to us.

1. sheetmetal is never what it is protecting you. even in the older days when steel is what the body was that was completely smash in an accident over 40. a 1/16 of an inch sheet metal why not when there is a steel beam running through the door. (not refering to a corolla refering to my grad am.) i've also been around toyotas and they have lasted til round 180,000 miles and the let go was not cost of repair. just wanted a newer car.
2. they are using the cheaper parts possible to build a car. have you seen the inter. of a 2002 sunfire.
3. keep the money in our country, im not exactly sure who builds the grand prix but my grand am is build in mexico!!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:54 AM   #11
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:

2) would you rather see your mom driving a little beer can, or a <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A> like a Cadillac with a little substance. Does it make you feel better to know the mom has a sixteenth of sheet metal between her and the road, or a big frame and a lot more metal.

im not in a postion to afford a grand prix let alone a cadillac. i barely afford to keep my grand am which cost more then a corolla. my biggest point is i like the idea of a car like corolla and sentra that can be had for less then $16,000 and can still last upwards of 150,000 miles.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:36 AM   #12
Blue02R6
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

The most sold car in the world is the venerable VW bug. They stopped production on them in 2002, after producing more than 50,000,000. What is the mileage on this accord, and why do you say 3 cars but only name 2?
1969 Pontiac Firebird

I might get my '02 SS back....
Old 12-26-2003, 05:13 PM   #13
Ground Rat
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ground Rat

I guess I would drive a jap car someday, but it'd be a 240Z with a 383 stroker.
'92 Typhoon #591
Old 12-26-2003, 11:48 PM   #14
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

First, I'd like to bring to everyone's attention the simple fact that the first automobile was Karl Benz's tri-cart built in 1886. Also mentionable as pre-dating the American auto industry are Renault, De Dion Bouton, and Austro-Daimler. The claim that Americans have been building cars "the longest" is bunk.

Second, the most dangerous cars in an accident ARE stiffly built full frame automobiles such as the aforementioned Cadillac. These cars don't crumple in an incident, and thus dissipate the forward energy of an incident. Deformable structure, as pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, is the safest method of construction. It's only prehistoric idiosyncracies like the Chevrolet Avalanche that provide the danger to "small cars". Thanks to the EPA loopholes, these monstrosities are allowed to be built into rolling hazards for anyone who buys a sensible car (domestic or import).

I have learned through a great deal of research, apparently much more than you, that nationality has absolutely nothing with the quality of an automobile.

As I've discovered, a car can only be truly judged on its own. Toyota can build a rattletrap (Echo) and Chevrolet can build a solid family car (Malibu). And vice versa (Camry & Vega).
Old 12-27-2003, 01:46 PM   #15
Volvord 784VC
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
First, I'd like to bring to everyone's attention the simple fact that the first automobile was Karl Benz's tri-cart built in 1886. Also mentionable as pre-dating the American auto industry are Renault, De Dion Bouton, and Austro-Daimler. The claim that Americans have been building cars "the longest" is bunk.

Second, the most dangerous cars in an accident ARE stiffly built full frame automobiles such as the aforementioned Cadillac. These cars don't crumple in an incident, and thus dissipate the forward energy of an incident. Deformable structure, as pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, is the safest method of construction. It's only prehistoric idiosyncracies like the Chevrolet Avalanche that provide the danger to "small cars". Thanks to the EPA loopholes, these monstrosities are allowed to be built into rolling hazards for anyone who buys a sensible car (domestic or import).

I have learned through a great deal of research, apparently much more than you, that nationality has absolutely nothing with the quality of an automobile.

As I've discovered, a car can only be truly judged on its own. Toyota can build a rattletrap (Echo) and Chevrolet can build a solid family car (Malibu). And vice versa (Camry & Vega).
Well put.
There is not best or better, just different, the diversity of car makes, models, styles, options, and prices is what truly makes the automotive world great. We don't have to be a bunch of clones, everyone can be an individual, drive what he/she likes and be proud of it. Would it not be boring to have to conform and have no choice or preference.

Respect the automobile for what it is, an individual expression. You don't have to agree with someone else's preference, but do respect their individuality.

http://www.volvord.com New site

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord/ Old site