Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 10:41 PM   #16
ra227
AF Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I will try to pm Igor. I know what your talking about w/ repeated threads because I posted "which engine B18c5 or h22" a while back, which was a mistake because it had been asked a ton of times before. Anyway if you go to any one of the forums, Mine was in 92+ civic cuz thats what its going in, you will see how many times this question has been beaten to death w/ a stick...ran over..then chained to a cement block and thrown off a cliff into the ocean. Cleaning up would be great because most of the new people to the site that ask the same questions leave and don't return so its left just hanging there taking up space. I'm still fairly new so I know you guys have seen it alot.
ra227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:07 PM   #17
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: Wet Sleeves vs Dry Sleeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra227
Thanks guys. I will try to pm Igor. I know what your talking about w/ repeated threads because I posted "which engine B18c5 or h22" a while back, which was a mistake because it had been asked a ton of times before. Anyway if you go to any one of the forums, Mine was in 92+ civic cuz thats what its going in, you will see how many times this question has been beaten to death w/ a stick...ran over..then chained to a cement block and thrown off a cliff into the ocean. Cleaning up would be great because most of the new people to the site that ask the same questions leave and don't return so its left just hanging there taking up space. I'm still fairly new so I know you guys have seen it alot.
Yea, lots of questions do get asked repeatedly, or are "beaten to death" of sorts. whtteg's example was a perfect example of it...one thread above, almost the same title. You're all right, the forums do need to be cleaned up a bit. When the question is beaten to death, it adds to the problem and makes it worse. Hopefully, we will be able to do something about all of this. Speaking of which, anyone gotten through to igor yet about the sticky thread idea?
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:50 PM   #18
Ricochet
Banned

Re: Re: Wet Sleeves vs Dry Sleeves

Wouldn't a dry sleeve make your engine overheat?
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:57 PM   #19
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg

I think they would be used in a drag race only car. It would be trailerd in etc. You know the ones that cut the motor off at the end of the track and have to be towed back. But yes it seems that it would cause the car to overheat.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:37 PM   #20
ra227
AF Enthusiast

Hey guys I pm'ed igor the other day, no response yet, maybe I'll email him too.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:42 PM   #21
Ricochet
Banned

dude, drop the igor crap. So many somewhat descent posts have been jacked by mobs wanting better admins and stuff and nothing's been done, so don't even bother.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:54 PM   #22
ra227
AF Enthusiast

Relax man...I was asked to to something so I was keeping them informed. Its not like I keep redundantly bringing up the idea or posted a reply in a old/dead post.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:49 PM   #23
kittedb18bt
AF Enthusiast

i agree that this thread was informative, thanks. yeah, i learned something on AF-i think its been a while since that has happened.

1999 Ford Mustang Cobra: Cobra R rims, Magnaflow CB.

"no way man...i saw an LS1 fight godzilla and the LS1 beat godzilla and it looked in the air and was like what do you think of that god and god was like bring it bitch so they fought and the LS1 beat god now the LS1 is god because its the greatest thing ever."
kittedb18bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 02:28 AM   #24
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: Re: Re: Wet Sleeves vs Dry Sleeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Wouldn't a dry sleeve make your engine overheat?
Yes, it could cause that. Whtteg hit was pretty much correct on what it generally would be used for. Dry sleeves arn't what you and me would use, it's more of what a racer might use. The engine is rebuilt after every race, so it's okay there. Wet Sleeves arn't prone to overheat like that, since the water-jackets arn't closed off. The wet-sleeve it the more partical design, and I am going to guess, the newer of the 2 designs. A good wet-sleeve is well enough designed, I don't see why you would really need a dry sleeve, unless it was the race conditions like whtteg said. Like I said, Darton and AEBS sleeves (Wet-Sleeves), can handle upwards of 55psi, and I can't imagine most of us needing anywhere close to that, considering that mid-high 20's (psi) would shove you close to 500hp in most cases.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical