Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:03 PM   #1
'67'cuda
AF Regular

what to do?????

i have a 67 barracuda (as the name suggests) and i was wondering where to start on my restoration i have some ideas but this is what is in it right know. it has a small 273 c.i. commando engine with a 904 auto tranny, from the headers back is new straight piped exhuast with factory headers body is in decent shape with minor rust under the passenger side seat and some in the frame. the interior can hardly be called that, the suspension needs completly redone.she runs and drives pretty good exept for the bias tires and crapy suspension. and thats how i got her back in december last year (thank you santa) for only 2,500$$ it was a pretty good deal.

I want to put a 383(i would put a 440 in it but in 67 it wasnt an option and i fear it wouldnt fit)with a four speed, posi, paint do the regular restoration stuff of that nature but the first thing is the suspension.

if i missed anything feel free to add your thoughts and opinions thanks
'67'cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:07 PM   #2
SniperX13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to SniperX13
Re: what to do?????

do you plan on doing a full ground up restore, or just fixing what is wrong? ersonally, If you have the time, and ability, I would have the body stripped completely, remove it from the frame rails, blast, sand, and paint the frame, do the same to the body, fix the rust, get it repainted, make sure its all straight yada yada yada....
Old 06-15-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
'67'cuda
AF Regular

when i do have enough money and time i do want to do a ground up restoration. but the issue is money right now so its going to have to wait for now.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
macktoschool
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to macktoschool

I would definitely start from the ground up and take care of the suspension. Decide what engine/tranny you want to use, so you can properly select a set of springs/shocks. I would also check out the torsion bars, because they were always a source of frustration on older mopars when the busted. If you are going to put in a big block, I would suggest you also add a set of front disc brakes. Take your time and see this as a long term project, and decide when you really want to drive it. Save the body stuff for last if you can, that way you won't be so nervous about scratching the paint when your doing all the mechanics. Good Luck.
macktoschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

A 383 is a big block Mopar mill. So is a 440. If you can put a 383 in there, a 440 will go in as well.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
musclecarfanatic
AF Regular

my advice is to start with the ground up restoration, even it money is an obstacle, that way you don't have to do it ALL over again (taking everytihng apart). but thats just me. also the 383 stroker is a powerful engine, i would go with the 383 due to money, itll save you a few dollars.
musclecarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
'67'cuda
AF Regular

thanks for the help guys ive found a 383 with a 727 auto for sale for 500 and i think im going to jump on that and ill start with the resto asap
Old 07-15-2004, 01:52 AM   #8
slothboy
AF Newbie

Don't Get In Over Your Head. You Need To Take It One Step At A Time. Whats Your Goal.full Restoration Or Fix It So It Drives & Looks Good On The Surface.original Resto. Or Custom. Don't Forget Old Cars That Seen Many Yrs. Of Hard Winters =trouble. After Yrs. Of Oxidation Due To Salt Only Leads To Problems You Didn't Expect. I Bought My 68 Tempest From A Friend. That Was Is Only Car It Runs,drives Has A 2000.00 Pnt Job Looks Great. Until You Stick Your Head In The Wheel Wells And Realize Its Your Cars Not Made Of Steel But Plasture. Make Yourself A List.pick A Project And Stick W/it. It;ll Make Things A Little Easier.if You Want To Put A Another Eng. In It 1st Chk Out The New Motor And Make A List Of Things It Needs.it Will Be A Lot Less Stressful If Your Organized & Have A Plan.
slothboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67'cuda
thanks for the help guys ive found a 383 with a 727 auto for sale for 500 and i think im going to jump on that and ill start with the resto asap
go 440 my friend theyre monsters............huge power
Old 10-30-2004, 10:04 PM   #10
SamBlob
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: what to do?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedDodge
A 383 is a big block Mopar mill. So is a 440. If you can put a 383 in there, a 440 will go in as well.
Not all Mopar big blocks are created equal. The 383 is a B-block. The 440 is a RB-block, which is taller. There may be other differences between the 383 and the 440 as well. A 383 fit into a Dart with few problems, but extensive surgery was required to fit a Hemi or a 440 into a Dart.
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical