Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 10:41 PM   #1
Jack
AF Newbie

Lightbulb New Tangential Engine Design

I have designed a new engine, it is a tangential design, it reduces mechanical friction losses by one quarter, saving petrol by a quarter. I have had a car running on with this engine for 37 years. Please go and see my site and get back to me with what you think.
www.geocities.com/tangentialengine

Please email me with any of your thoughts or queries.
Jack
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 10:41 PM   #2
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
I read your site, and I sent you a e-mail.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:02 PM   #3
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

It seems that an engine such as this might take up some more space in the engine bay and add to weight. Right now, automakers can stay under government set emissions with other forms of technology. However, it does seem like a great design for the future, when pollution standards become stricter.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:14 PM   #4
matt
AF Regular

Jack, it seems like a good design. Would that design not put even more friction on the cylinder wall on the upstroke? I'm not an engineer or anything, but that makes sense to me. Have you approached any automakers?
Old 08-01-2001, 05:01 PM   #5
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche

I'm Lost can somebody explain more?

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 06:59 PM   #6
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

In many mechanical devices, friction is the cause for reduced performance and general wear down, and it must be minimized as much as possible (sometimes friction is openly welcomed, such as the connection between a tire and the ground). It prevents moving parts from reaching maximum potential. Parts rub against each other, thereby converting kintetic energy into heat energy.

In a modern internal combustion engine's cylinder, a piston is sent downwards by the fuel/O2/ignition burn, which forces the attached connecting rod below to turn the crankshaft. Since the crankshaft is directly below the piston, the ignition must occur right when the rod/crank point has just passed top dead-center on its way back down in order to keep the crankshaft moving. The only problem is that the position of the rod at this time is at an angle, and causes the piston to press against one side of the cylinder wall. This pressure slows down the piston's downward movement and power is lost, while unwanted excess heat is built.

The tangential engine addresses this natural flaw by having the crankshaft offset to the side, instead of directly under the cylinders. This way when ignition occurs, the position of the rod will be perfectly vertical and won't press the piston against the cylinder wall.

Check the animated diagram on Jack's site. See where the piston rubs against the wall? That's energy lost, and power/fuel wasted. The tangential solution saves that energy.
Old 08-02-2001, 04:09 PM   #7
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
Thanks, that helps a lot more. I understand it now.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 01:48 PM   #8
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

No problem Mr. Porsche.

Like matt, I don't fully understand the details concerning the upstroke. If proven results have shown successful power savings, then the upstroke is most likely non-essential. But it does seem right that the rod will pressure the cylinder lining on its way up, or perhaps it will consume power from the other downward moving pistons... I will continue to search for answers.

I believe that the rotary engine is still the best new (well not that new anymore) internal combustion engine. It's a shame that there aren't too many companies out there developing this proven design. Perhaps then we would be able to see a powerful yet reliable piece that would force even Felix Wankel to smile in his grave. The tangential design also seems like an obvious design improvment, but current automakers are too conservative to go out on a limb and try anything totally different. We can all emit a breath of relief, knowing that Mazda will extend its rotary line with the RX-8. Any brave souls out there willing to produce and mass-market a working tangential powerplant?