Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Locations (USA, Canada, Asia, etc...) > Europe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Europe England, Holland, Denmark, Germany, etc...
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 01:07 PM   #1
nuro
AF Newbie

Question h22a5, a4, and a8

I own a european honda prelude (1999) VTi 4WS.

it has a h22a5 engine in it which is rated at 185hp. the h22a4 (US) is rated at 195 or 200 (5speed)... and in 2000 europe changed to the h22a8, which is 200 hp also.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the h22a5 and the a4 or a8?

thanks
nuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Veetec Send a message via AIM to Veetec
At first: Welcome to the europe forum!! Feel free to ask whatever you want.
Iīve just bought a `00 VTEC Prelude but I donīt have got any idea about your question.

Over here in germany we have got three different 5th gen Prelude engines:
2.0i SOHC non-VTEC with 133hp and manual tranny
2.2i DOHC VTEC with 185hp and auto tranny
2.2i DOHC VTEC with 185hp (200hp in the y2k) and manual tranny

By the way, where are you from?
Veetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:32 PM   #3
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Oh, wait! One of them could be the Accord Type-R engine!!! Itīs basically a modified Prelude engine.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:05 PM   #4
nuro
AF Newbie

thanks for the welcome, veetec.

what i'm interested in is what are the internal changes between the h22a5 and a4, or the h22a5 and a8. Cams? ECU? Compression? It seems odd to me that during the same year the US model which is practically the same had 10 more horsepower. The internals are really important since i will probably go turbo or JRSC with this car. Do you know who i could get in touch with to answer these questions? Is there a honda headquarters in europe maybe?

Oh yeah, and i'm in Lausanne, Switzerland. I've tried talking to the honda people here but they don't know.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:14 PM   #5
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Sorry, but I canīt help you with that and I think Honda germany canīt, too. Post your question in the Prelude forum. Iīm sure drift and fierce will help you out.
For a shop whoīs selling the JRSC you might want to have a look on our "List of european brands/ shops". Itīs on top of the europe forum.

Lausanne?? Iīd guess itīs the french part of switzerland, isnīt it!?
Old 02-20-2002, 02:21 PM   #6
nuro
AF Newbie

yup, the french part. Where is this list of european shops you are talking about?
Old 02-20-2002, 02:33 PM   #7
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by nuro
yup, the french part. Where is this list of european shops you are talking about?
Itīs on top of the topics in the europe forum (in here)!
Old 02-20-2002, 03:31 PM   #8
Goosse
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Goosse
Hi, welcome to the forum. I don't know the exact difference between the engines, but sometimes car manufacturers detune engines for a local market. In Belgium we usualy get less hp then in Japan (for exemple). This is because of the tax. They drop the hp just enough so they get into a lower tax categorie.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:37 PM   #9
AccordCE8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to AccordCE8
Quote:
thanks for the welcome, veetec.

what i'm interested in is what are the internal changes between the h22a5 and a4, or the h22a5 and a8. Cams? ECU? Compression? It seems odd to me that during the same year the US model which is practically the same had 10 more horsepower. The internals are really important since i will probably go turbo or JRSC with this car. Do you know who i could get in touch with to answer these questions? Is there a honda headquarters in europe maybe?

Oh yeah, and i'm in Lausanne, Switzerland. I've tried talking to the honda people here but they don't know.
The engine in my car also has some less bhp in the europe engine vs usa engine... mine has got 131 and usa 136 or something like that, bore, stroke etc. is all the same. Can't help you anymore than this.

Are those 4ws sold in Switserland? the 99 model is the latest prelude model I asume. In the Netherlands there isn't a 4ws of the latest prelude model.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:47 PM   #10
nuro
AF Newbie

Quote:
Are those 4ws sold in Switserland? the 99 model is the latest prelude model I asume. In the Netherlands there isn't a 4ws of the latest prelude model.
In switzerland we have three preludes, all produced from 1997-2001 (like US and japan). from 1997-99 we have h22a5 motors, and after its h22a8 which has 200hp. There is the Si (non-vtec) but i don't know about those. The VTEC models were the VTi 4WS or the VTi S. The VTi S is the equivalent of the american type SH which has the ATTS system, but are impossible to find here.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:22 PM   #11
AccordCE8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to AccordCE8
Quote:

In switzerland we have three preludes, all produced from 1997-2001 (like US and japan). from 1997-99 we have h22a5 motors, and after its h22a8 which has 200hp. There is the Si (non-vtec) but i don't know about those. The VTEC models were the VTi 4WS or the VTi S. The VTi S is the equivalent of the american type SH which has the ATTS system, but are impossible to find here.
ATTS system? what's that?
Old 02-21-2002, 08:27 PM   #12
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by AccordCE8

ATTS system? what's that?
ATTS means `Active-Torque-Transfer-Systemī but to be honest, I donīt know how to exlain it (what itīs doing) in english in the moment. But Iīm sure youīll find and explaination in the Prelude forum.
The Si should be 2.0i SOHC non-VTEC with about 133hp. We didnīt had a Prelude with ATTS in germany and I think the 4WS one is really rare because I only know about one guy who has got one! Do you know if itīs a big difference if you have got 4WS compared to the base VTEC Lude (like mine ). I mean I like my Prelude like it is but Iīm just wondering.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:33 AM   #13
nuro
AF Newbie

What ATTS does:

in a tight turn it puts 15% more torque and power to the outside front wheel. I've driven a prelude like this, you need to drive it hard for this to activate but you do feel it. Basically you hardly get understeer, you'd react somewhat like in a RWD car, when u predict you may get understeer you give it gas to activate the ATTS.

4WS discussion:
My prelude is a 5th gen with 4ws. I've driven a 5th gen without it and i've driven a 4th gen that has it, but disactivated. For pure speed the base model is better simply because the 4ws system means more weight. Now, because the 4ws is weight in the back of the car and it turns the back wheels you do get slightly better handling. With it disactivated, what i noticed on my friends 4th gen is it was easy to get into skids for some reason (however this could be specific to her car). The odd things about the sids is they were four-wheel skids and very easy to control! After driving these different models i came to a conclusion: 4WS is nice, but not something anyone NEEDS, and same with the ATTS system. Nice, but if you want great handling just get ties+sways and you'll outdo an ATTS prelude.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:36 AM   #14
nuro
AF Newbie

Quote:
This is because of the tax. They drop the hp just enough so they get into a lower tax categorie.
yeah, now wouldn't it be great to change the one or two pieces in your car to get the power that other countries might be getting?
Old 02-22-2002, 10:08 AM   #15
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:

yeah, now wouldn't it be great to change the one or two pieces in your car to get the power that other countries might be getting?
Of course it would be nice! But the only opportunity I have got with my ī00 VTEC Prelude is to get the JDM Type-S cams and Iīm not sure if that would be worth it compared to the price Iīd have to pay! Do you know where I could get the swaybar for my Lude in europe and what itīs price would be? Iīm also looking for indiglo gauges, a rear upper strut-tower bar without any pivoz points (ONE piece), steel braided brake lines and a good catback system! Any ideas?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Locations (USA, Canada, Asia, etc...) > Europe