Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Dirt Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
oldschooldeathwish
AF Newbie

Canam

I have the oppertunity to pick up a 70's canam 250 TNT. Anyone had any experiance with these bikes
oldschooldeathwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
bmanorion1
AF Newbie

Post can am

I used to have a 1985 Can am 250 (I dont know the model). It was in pretty bad shape when i got it, but it ran. And it continued to run for the next 3 years of riding it almost everyday. This was when i was about 14, so i didnt know too much about engine upkeep, so i never even changed the transmission oil! Never cleaned the carb either or anything of the sorts. Just mixed gas and went dirt biking, haha. The thing didnt even have piston rings and it rang perfectly fine until the front axle snapped. Everything but the engine sorta deteriorated over time. Dead luck finding replacement parts for these bikes. But i still have the engine and carb, i bet if i stuck it in a frame and hooked up everything, shed fire right up! VERY reliable Bombardier Rotax engine.
bmanorion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
sk888r
AF Newbie

Thumbs up canam

I have a 1973 canam {i dont know the model} it runs great and boy does it have some power. I just got the crank shaft replaced[it bent].that is the only big maintenance i have done on it since i had it from 3 years ago. To make a long story short they are great bikes.
sk888r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Canam

I have a 1980 CanAm 400 MX-6.

All can ams are truly fast for their size. All were strong and had high quality hardware.

The late 70's orange ones handled very well for their day, with excellent suspension.
The 1977 black ones were okay handling.

The '76 and earlier white ones kind of handle like a refrigerator that fell over, but are fine on the trails.

IMO parts availability is the only problem.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
cletus023
AF Newbie

hate to bumb an old thread but i figured the people who posted hear might have some knowledge.

I have a late 70's can am mx 250 (not entirely sure of the model). I am wondering about the wiring. I have the wiring that runs from the cdi to the generator and then i have a black wire that tees off of that (it has a connector to a brown wire after that) and i have a black and yellow wire that comes off a frame ground mount just under the CDI. Anyone know where these wires go? Thanks for your assistance.
cletus023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus023
hate to bumb an old thread but i figured the people who posted hear might have some knowledge.

I have a late 70's can am mx 250 (not entirely sure of the model). I am wondering about the wiring. I have the wiring that runs from the cdi to the generator and then i have a black wire that tees off of that (it has a connector to a brown wire after that) and i have a black and yellow wire that comes off a frame ground mount just under the CDI. Anyone know where these wires go? Thanks for your assistance.
In future, it may be best to start a new thread on this subject than resurrect an old one.

If your bike runs and has an operational kill switch, do not worry about the extra wires. They are most likely for head and tail light that were used on the 250 Qualifier enduro models. Your MX machine and the Qualifiers used the same engine, so your machine has the generator coil even though it never came with lights.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
2wheelsforme
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus023

These other wires are for a head light or what ever auxilery lighting you might want. All the Can-ams had the wires, but not all models came with lights...
2wheelsforme is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Dirt Bikes