Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hummer (AM General) > Hummer H1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
lifelongslacker
AF Newbie

Question Alternator?

First of all, I do not own an H1 (unfortunatly). But I would like to know how it is that your altenators do not short out when wet?! Are they sealed or just mounted in a really good spot?
Thanks.
lifelongslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
waterboy333
AF Newbie

Re: Alternator?

they're not sealed its just the same alternator from a 3/4 or 1 ton chevy van. the whole engine, turbo and all are from the g-vans. most hummer owners don't know that their able to get most things from a chevy to replace the same more expensive part off their hummer
waterboy333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
hmcoleap
AF Newbie

Re: Alternator?

The alternator is mounted high and towards the back of the engine compartment. They are above the 30" mark that AM General specifies as the "water fording limit" for a stock diesel H1 (24" for the gassers made in 95-96).

The alternator is a standard GM unit, I recently got a replacement from NAPA for my rig.

During most fording deeper than 30", the truck may submerge to a level over the hood, but rarely is the truck in water long enough for the water to fill the engine compartment all the way to the top -- if it did, there would be some risk for shorting components out. Being a diesel, it does not rely on sparks to keep the engine running however, so you don't get the stalling effect that one gets from splashing a gas motor.

Hope that helps,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongslacker
First of all, I do not own an H1 (unfortunatly). But I would like to know how it is that your altenators do not short out when wet?! Are they sealed or just mounted in a really good spot?
Thanks.

http://www.serious4x4.com

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
hmcoleap is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hummer (AM General) > Hummer H1