Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
Rick Dressler
AF Newbie

Wet Carpeting after rain.

Recently, as of just a month or two, my 95 Olds Cutlass Supreme has been getting rain water on the back seat carpets during a rain. The car is parked during the rain, and when I open the back door after the rain has ended, there is standing water on the left and right carpets. More on the right, (passenger) than on the left (driver) side.

I've looked carefully at the door gasketing, and cannot detect any defects. All the metal work appears to be very well designed so that water is transferred out of the car.

I've even sat in the back seat of the car during a rain storm, and have not witnessed any drops forming anywhere, or wet trails (that I can see).

Possibly is there some way that the water could be coming in underneath of the carpeting? It sure stinks when I open the door. On hot days, I try to remember to leave the windows open, to air it out.

In the beginning I was thinking that there might be a hole in the floor, and that the water was leaking in while moving, but it comes in while parked, instead.

Where is this water coming from? The windows are fully shut. The doors are fully closed. The trunk area appears to be dry.

What suggestions might you have?
Rick Dressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
Slade901
Banned

Re: Wet Carpeting after rain.

Make sure you remove the water from the back seat carpets and let it dry.
Find a shade area when you do this.

Get a couple of gallon of water and pour it on top of the rear door side (where the weatherstripping of the door comes in contact with the door frame). Try pouring the water on the rear window. You should be able to find out where the water is coming in. Check your trunk to make sure it is not full of water (remove the center cover).
Slade901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #3
Cvlo
AF Newbie

Water on back floor after rain

I have a 1993 Olds.Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I have the same problem. After it rains there is standing water on the left and right floor boards. More on the right than on the left. The guy that replaced my top said that the convertibles are designed to drain inside the car and there are drain plugs to let the water out. There is one behind the seat, it is where the top goes when it is down. I know it drains. He told me there may be other drain plugs that is not draining. I don't see any signs of water coming in from the windows. I am trying to find out if there are other drain plugs, where.

Any solutiong would help.

Thanks!
Cvlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
janisrich
AF Newbie

Re: Water on back floor after rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvlo
I have a 1993 Olds.Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I have the same problem. After it rains there is standing water on the left and right floor boards. More on the right than on the left. The guy that replaced my top said that the convertibles are designed to drain inside the car and there are drain plugs to let the water out. There is one behind the seat, it is where the top goes when it is down. I know it drains. He told me there may be other drain plugs that is not draining. I don't see any signs of water coming in from the windows. I am trying to find out if there are other drain plugs, where.

Any solutiong would help.

Thanks!
I have the same problem but I found that it was my air conditioning leaking condensation. At first I thought my car was leaking but after my passenger was riding and getting their feet dripped on I found it was the A/C. Hope that helps
janisrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
johnnysc3
AF Newbie

Re: Wet Carpeting after rain.

15 years later...

My 1993 oldsmobile cutlass supreme sl has the exact same problem. All foot areas are wet and most water is in the rear passenger side's foot area. Water enters when it rains. Car is parked facing uphill usually.

I sealed my moonroof with sealant, but I checked during the rain and I see a little drip drip still coming from the rear drain hose (4 in total). I think the water rises faster than that.

I'm that horrible 25 year old who has allowed to remain wet for over a month (I vacuum water out sometimes). I'll update this thread when I figure it out.
johnnysc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series