Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
Savior1974
AF Enthusiast

Am I gonna have overheating problems (need help asap)

Well I just got in my FMIC today and I gotta say it's longer and bigger than I expected......... But anyways, I've been searching the forums a little and I noticed that some people with fmic's had been having overheating problems. Now I was wondering if I'm gonna be in the same boat or not. I will be keeping my a/c unit in the car. I live in california and it gets pretty hot out here. I NEVER EVER use the a/c (save gas money) but sometimes my parents ride with me and make me turn it on for them. But anyways, I have an order at Slowboy that shipps tomarrow and I need to tell him by then if I want him to add 2 12' fans to my order. So, should I add the fans or will I be fine without. Thanks alot guys for the help. Mod list and FMIC info below....

I have a link to my fmic here
http://www.agpturbo.com/customer/pro...&cat=57&page=1

also, Here's my mod list below

Current Mods.........
Act 2600 clutch
Apexi N1 3" downpipe
3" exhaust and Hks 3"-5" muffler
Greddy Type s blow off valve
Autometer Boost/Vac gauge and Air fuel Gauge

Waiting For.........
AGP Garrett T3/T4 60-1 turbo
Tial 38mm Wastegate
AGP Spearco FMIC
Greddy Profec B Spec 2 Black
HKS Turbo Timer Type 1 Black
Dejon 3.5 Intake / K&N Air Filter
DSM LINK
95 GSX Eprom ECU
950cc Fuel Injectors
Walbro 255 HP Fuel Pump
Aeromotive Fuel Regulator w/ fuel lines
SBR TPM Drilled/Slotted Rotors
Brake Pads
B&M Short Shifter
.................. I hate waiting for shipping)

(P.S. Car should be done and at the track late this week or early next week )

Act 2600, Apexi 3" downpipe, 3" exhaust, Hks 3"-5" muffler, Greddy TypeS BOV, Autometer Boost/Vac & Air fuel Gauge, Garrett T3/T4 60-1 turbo (Only boosting 15 psi) Tial 38mm Wastegate, Spearco FMIC, Greedy Profec B2, HKS Turbo Timer Type, Dejon Intake/K&N Air Filter, DSMLink, Eprom ECU, 950cc Fuel Injectors, Walbro 255 HP Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, B&M Short Shifter
Savior1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Savior1974
AF Enthusiast

Re: Am I gonna have overheating problems (need help asap)

Also, after seeing the dimensions of the FMIC, will I be able to keep my stock fog lights?

Act 2600, Apexi 3" downpipe, 3" exhaust, Hks 3"-5" muffler, Greddy TypeS BOV, Autometer Boost/Vac & Air fuel Gauge, Garrett T3/T4 60-1 turbo (Only boosting 15 psi) Tial 38mm Wastegate, Spearco FMIC, Greedy Profec B2, HKS Turbo Timer Type, Dejon Intake/K&N Air Filter, DSMLink, Eprom ECU, 950cc Fuel Injectors, Walbro 255 HP Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, B&M Short Shifter
Old 11-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #3
guitarXgeek
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to guitarXgeek

That's a spearco 2-216 core, which is pretty friggin HUGE to begin with. Forget your fogs . I'm not too sure about the overheating issue. Some people have problems with it, others do not. I think any front mount, no matter what the size, is going to affect airflow to the radiator since it literally sits right in front of it. However, I think if you could fab up some nice air ducts to direct airflow above or below the IC (no way you're going to get air AROUND that thing )to get to the radiator, it'd probably help alot. That's a huge list, and it will be a BEAST when it gets put on and tuned well. Have fun!

95 GSX
DSMlink, "50 Trim", and track times coming VERY SOON!
guitarXgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:18 PM   #4
Savior1974
AF Enthusiast

dammit..... I like my fogs

Old 11-08-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
guitarXgeek
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Am I gonna have overheating problems (need help asap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savior1974
dammit..... I like my fogs

Well, if they are that important to you, then ADFX sells a really nice front mount that will let you keep your stock fogs It's basically the same thing as the spearco core, but 4" shorter with a different outlet.www.adfxracing.com

95 GSX
Old 11-08-2004, 07:08 PM   #6
Savior1974
AF Enthusiast

well, the agp fmic is already here so I guess bye bye fogs (is there anyway to keep them at all with this FMIC) But more importantly, About the overheating, Anymore opinions on what I should do. Should I get the fans or not.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #7
guitarXgeek
AF Enthusiast

As far as I know, the stock fan flows just as good (or better in some cases) than most aftermarket fans. Maybe someone who knows for sure could back this up. And I don't think you could get a bigger fan, since it will be a tight fit even with your stocker.

95 GSX
Old 11-08-2004, 07:12 PM   #8
george536
AF Enthusiast

You can always sell them on ebay and then get more money to put towards your car.
|ACL Main & Rod Race Bearings|Balance Shafts Removed|ARP Head Studs|Cometic HG|FP 20g TDO6H|EPROM Chipped (stutter box 5k, fuel comp.)|PTE 680cc inj.|Walbro 255 HP Fuel Pump|Autoteq FPR|SAFC 2|FMIC|2g MAF|Dejon Tool Hard Pipe|Greddy Type S|MBC at 17PSI|Ported 2g Exhaust Manifold|02 Housing w/ Tial 38mm WG|Full 3inch Exhaust w/ Y-pipe Cutout|Fidanza Flywheel|ACT 2100|4 Bolt LSD Rear|Poly Mounts|KYB AGX Suspension|Roll Bar|
george536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
joemathews
AF Enthusiast

I don't see you being able to keep the fogs . But, this is a great opportunity to fab up some nice custom fog light mounts somewhere else on the front bumper...

As far as overheating issues, don't worry about it until you have the problems IMO .
Old 11-08-2004, 08:52 PM   #10
kjewer1
AF - Advisor

With 28" length forget the fogs. As far as fans, keep the stock passenger side (big) fan, its kickass. The drivers side stocker will have to go. You need a slimer fan to allow the lower IC pipe to clear. In my case, I tossed the AC condenser and ran the drivers side fan as a pusher, in front of the radiator.

With a short core like yours (10-10.5") you probably wont have much trouble overheating with the AC off. With it on though, good luck. I wouldnt try making any power with the AC on. When I went to a taller 12" core however, I had trouble. Even at 70mph ont he highway, no AC condenser, and the stock big fan on, temps would just climb like a rocket. Thats when I put that pusher fan in. Kicking that bastard on drops the temps like a rock.

Now, there are a few things you can do to help out. Shrouding is a major pain in the ass to do right and make look good, but its a huge help. You want all air to go through the front opening, and none to escape areound the radiator. I would shroud the bumper cover to the FMIC, but allow aire to go OVER the core to the AC condenser and radiator. But dont let any air get out between the parts, like out the sides or bottom between the fmic and AC, AC and radiator, etc. A heat extraction vent in the hood helps a lot too but comes with its own drawbacks. You can research drilling a 1/4" hole in the thermostat plate. Etc, the list goes on. The point is you can make it work with AC, but you're really going to have to put the effort forth. I'm a lazy bastard and jsut tossed the AC. I went a whole summer wihtout it because I was too lazy to reinstall the belt, so I knew I could live without it
kjewer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:38 PM   #11
BoostedSpyder
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BoostedSpyder Send a message via Yahoo to BoostedSpyder

mine wasn't that big, but i actually ran a cunt hair cooler after i put it in...
BoostedSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic