Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Espace
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
Morpheus_the_Benga
AF Newbie

Petrol Turbo problems

Hi all.

Just thought I would share this all with you.

I have owned my '03 Espace 2.0T since new and have covered just over 40k in it. The car has a full Renault service history and usually purrs like a kitten....however....

Just one month after the car celebrated its third birthday (Jan of this year), the turbo failed....just out of warranty.

This was was no gradual event, it just simply stopped working one morning, leaving me with a top speed of 50mph with the foot to the floor, regardless of what gear I was in.

I personally dont think this should have happened as the car is very well looked after. We had the car checked out to find the turbo had actually collapsed, causing a blockage resulting in no other options but a replacement turbo asap.

The local Renault dealer was superb, negotiating a 70% reduction in the cost of this, after all the full job was priced at around £1800.

The engine had to come out to gain access to the turbo. When all was done and the car was handed back, there was a strange whistling sound accompianied by a whooshing noise which has got louder in the past few months despite being assured all was well and the sound would fade away. This new issue has now been diagnosed as a further turbo malfunction, which will be geting done shortly - under warranty for initial repair.

The car has also developed a horrendous miss-fire and other issues with ABS and airbag malfunctions, lets not forget a total shutdown of the air-con system either.

My issue is this...Renaults are great so long as they are either under three years old and still have warranty or you have the common sense to fork out for an extended warranty from Renault.

Just thought you should all be made aware of these issues so you can form your own opinions and perhaps be better prepared than I was...

Maybe I'll buy a Ford next !

Renault Grande Espace IV 2.0T
Renault Safrane RXE 2.5 Executive
Morpheus_the_Benga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Peter Davis 21
AF Newbie

Re: Petrol Turbo problems

Hi there,
I've got a espace 20T turbo petrol, its now done 73,000 miles & has been regularly serviced.
Its just blown its 3rd turbo!!,the car was purchased on in 2003 on a 53 plate after 10,000 miles the first turbo let go & was replaced under warrantee.
Then after 45,000 miles the second turbo started to drop a few spots of oil on the drive, so renault looked at it & said "we have to take the engine out to fix the turbo oil leak".
£1500 later was given the car back, drove 10 mile where it stopped, renault would NOT come & recover the car! so i had to pay to get it back to them!! where they informed me that the turbo had blown & needed replacing again!!! quoted price was an addional £2500. After a alot of phone calls to Renault UK they agreed to Pay 80%. Today it has just blown another turbo, but this time Renualt uk are saying "because of the age & milage of the car there is nothing they are prepared to do"!!

Has anyone got any idears on how to handle this with Renault?

Regards Peter Davis
Topic
Peter Davis 21 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Espace