Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: Whats is the final call with DEXCOOL?

In my experience, I believe it should be changed more like every 3 years, 100k miles as it seems to start sludging up and getting acidic after that.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
BNaylor
AF Moderator

The only time I have seen Dex-cool sludge is when there is a bonafide problem with the cooling system or gaskets like intake going South. I've run Dex-cool in most of the GM cars I own up to 5 years since I don't ever come close to 150K miles before 5 years and it looked as good as new when replaced. That includes running various tests to include conductivity. I use Prestone EL coolant in my GTP but that was for other reasons like cost and nothing to do with the pros or cons of Dex-cool. It is replaced annually but it is also 5/150 coolant just like Dex-cool.

Also, the aftermarket EL coolants will sludge just like Dex-cool if there are issues.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #18
01gtprocket
AF Newbie

went to walmart bec my coolant light came on so im reading ingrients on raditor fluid at 7am... guess i was bored

the dexcool i bought was made by prestone. and i noticed tht there was a prestione right next to the dexcool/ and the ingrients matched. then i checked the ingrients on the walmart raditor fluid and everthing has the same ingrients..

so i bought the dexcool bec of the name. otherwise are we just buying the name?
01gtprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #19
CrazyHorst
AF Regular

Here's a different take.

The "older"design" GM pushrod engines ala 3800, 350cid V8, 4.3L/262 V6, 7.4/454, 3.1/3.4 60 degree V6 that powered the world all use an non-pressurized overflow bottles which see regular exposure to air, possibly more as the radiator cap ages, etc.

The "newer design" engines & corresponding vehicles such as L850, 4.8/5.3/6.0L V8 all use pressurized overflow bottles which generally see no airflow.

IMHO there's something to this, rooted nearby the above. It could be investment in better sealability internal to the engines as well as the designs evolved. The Dexcool complaints and problems I've heard of all are in the first category of engines. I've heard of none with the second category.

Again, just my personal observations of owning several vehicles and talking to people about repair issues.
2002 GMC Yukon (185k)
2009 G8 - GT (46k)
CrazyHorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #20
transamman1
AF Newbie

I know this is an old thread but have to say something about dexcool aka"dexkill" I'm a mechanic coming on 30 years now..every single engine Ive gone head or intake gaskets on have had dexcool..burnt orange clay buildup around cap water pump hoses radiators u name it...I won't touch the stuff...every vehicle my family has I've drained and flushed that crap out and used conventional green 50/50.. sister has a 3400 sfi in her grand am pushing 310k and still burns the tires
transamman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix