Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Reynard
AF Newbie

Security Light/PassKey III Issues

Having an issue with my 2002 GP GT. I started it, but then it died after a couple of seconds while the "Security" light was flashing.

I actually had both original keys with and tried each to no avail (same thing: starts, but engine kills after a few seconds). I checked the PassKey III fuse and even replaced it - still no luck.

Called two different dealer service departments and they suggested turning the key to the "ON" position and leaving it for 15 minutes. I tried this 3 times and still the same issue.

I understand this can be a VERY expensive repair as I've read it requires replacing the ignition module and perhaps the Theft Deterrent Module. Guess I'm just looking for any advice anyone may have to at least temporarily by-pass or reset the system so I don't have to get it towed (of course it's no where near my place).

Anyone had this done recently? What were the costs and does anyone know if this has to be dealer fixed or if another shop could handle it?

I'm not very mechanically inclined in terms of anything electrical, so repairing it myself is out of the question, but anyone's experience with, help, or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: Security Light/PassKey III Issues

Anyone who installs remote starters can bypass it permanently- because they do it temporarily while car is remote started, just ask them to it permanently.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Try the following procedure which is specifically for GM Passkey 3.

1. Insert a master key (black head) into the ignition switch.

2. Turn to the “On” position without starting the engine. The security light should illuminate and stay on.

3. Wait approximately 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.

4. Turn off the ignition switch and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 two more times with the same key.

6. Turn the ignition off. The vehicle will now learn the key transponder information on the next start cycle.

7. Start the vehicle. If vehicle starts and runs normally, and security light is off, the relearn is complete.

If additional keys are to be relearned:
8. Turn the vehicle off.

9. Insert the next key to be learned and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position within 10 seconds of removing the previously used key.

10. Wait for the security light to turn off. It should happen quickly.
You may not even notice the light come on, because it will learn the key transponder immediately.

11. Repeat steps 8 through 10 for any additional keys.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Reynard
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor View Post
Try the following procedure which is specifically for GM Passkey 3.

1. Insert a master key (black head) into the ignition switch.

2. Turn to the “On” position without starting the engine. The security light should illuminate and stay on.

3. Wait approximately 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.

4. Turn off the ignition switch and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 two more times with the same key.

6. Turn the ignition off. The vehicle will now learn the key transponder information on the next start cycle.

7. Start the vehicle. If vehicle starts and runs normally, and security light is off, the relearn is complete.

If additional keys are to be relearned:
8. Turn the vehicle off.

9. Insert the next key to be learned and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position within 10 seconds of removing the previously used key.

10. Wait for the security light to turn off. It should happen quickly.
You may not even notice the light come on, because it will learn the key transponder immediately.

11. Repeat steps 8 through 10 for any additional keys.
Thanks.

Will try but when I tried the similar procedure yesterday, the "Security" light was not illuminated steady, but flashing. Not sure if that makes a difference or is indicative or a more serious problem.

Also, I recently began having occasional trouble being able to turn off the ignition and removing the key (about once or twice a week) - could these issues possibily be related?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
BNaylor
AF Moderator

I'd have to check the FSM to see what the SECURITY light flashing means. Whats interesting is with Passkey 3 enabled there should be no power to the starter in addition to cutting off the pulse width modulation to the fuel injection system. So the engine should not even start.

A bad ignition switch or key cylinder could be relevant to the issue 'cause the transponder signal from the PK3 key head is passed on within the key cylinder along with key present to the BCM module.

Just to double check you are referring to the SECURITY light at the dash instrument panel cluster and not the one on the top of the dash from the content alarm system, if installed.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Reynard
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor View Post
I'd have to check the FSM to see what the SECURITY light flashing means. Whats interesting is with Passkey 3 enabled there should be no power to the starter in addition to cutting off the pulse width modulation to the fuel injection system. So the engine should not even start.

A bad ignition switch or key cylinder could be relevant to the issue 'cause the transponder signal from the PK3 key head is passed on within the key cylinder along with key present to the BCM module.

Just to double check you are referring to the SECURITY light at the dash instrument panel cluster and not the one on the top of the dash from the content alarm system, if installed.
Thanks again for the quick reply!

So I tried your procedure for "relearning" the master keys and it did work.

But to answer your questions, when I would attempt to start, the engine, it would fire, but then shut off 2-3 seconds later with the "Security" light flashing.

The "Security" light I am referring to is indeed the one on the upper right corner of the instrument panel. I do not have any after-market alarm/security/starter system on the car.

When I was going through your steps the "Security" light (on the instrument cluster) was still flashing and did not steady illuminate at all. But the important thing is that it worked as you suggested and was able to "reprogram" both keys and drive the car home and closer to repair options if necessary.

I just wonder if this issue will reappear or if it is related to key lock/ignition issue I mentioned. It happens very sporadically, but the key would always come out if I depressed the button on the gear shift lever and heard a subsequent "click" noise from the area of the steering column.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
ronabruzzi
AF Newbie

what if security light doesnt go out while in on position?
ronabruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

You are jumping in on a 5 year old thread......

Year, make, model, mileage, engine, symptoms, codes?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
ronabruzzi
AF Newbie

2001 Buick Lesabre passkey 3 ..security light stays solid even after half hour of ignition sitting in on position. Starter is good..fuses are good..fuse panels are hot..crank turns manually..battery is not corroded..lights on dash and radio come on but when turning key to run position with ignition everything goes out.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
Tech II
AF Fanatic

2001 Buick Lesabre passkey 3 ..security light stays solid even after half hour of ignition sitting in on position.

Have you tried another key?

Starter is good..

How do you know?

fuses are good..fuse panels are hot..

They shouldn't be hot...

crank turns manually

Do you mean by turning the crank bolt with a wrench, or jumping the starter?

..battery is not corroded..lights on dash and radio come on but when turning key to run position with ignition everything goes out.

That is a normal function when the key is in the crank position....

With that light on constantly, it's telling you you have a problem.....If there is nothing wrong with your key, then even though you leave the ignition on for more than 10 minutes, and the light stays on, means you have a problem with the system.......does this vehicle have an aftermarket remote start in it? If it does, that is where I would be looking first.....seen a few wiring problems caused by add on systems.....

For the most part, these systems have been pretty foolproof.......outside of a visual inspection, not much you can do, without a Tech II scan tool and diagnostic charts.....
Old 02-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
ronabruzzi
AF Newbie

Yes ive tried the 2 other keys i have 3 total..i know the starter is good because we wired it with a push button .. fuse panel being hot means that the fuse panel is getting eletrical current .. yes i put a socket onto the crank and turned it .. the only time the security light goes out is when i initially put the key into on position itll go out for about 30 secs and come back on solid..and no the car is stock everything no aftermarket nothing ... and with all the complaints on the internet and youtube i dont think this system is to fullproof*
Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Normal operation is, is turn key to on, SECURITY LIGHT comes on for 3 seconds and goes out.....turn key to crank and it should start......

If Security light does not go out or flashes, you have a problem.....

PassKey III, is not like PassKey I or II, which has a wiring problem.....III does not have this wiring problem......and don't confuse this system with PassLock, which a lot of people and sites do.....for the most part, there have been few problems with PK III.....have seen starter enable relay problems(which would not affect light operation), have seen wiring problems where installed remote starters have caused problems, and the only TSB I remember, is if the exciter ring moves over the lock cylinder and can cause intermittent starting problems....

A code should be set.....but most code readers/scanners only read "P" codes....you need to read "P" and "B" codes....
Old 02-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #13
ronabruzzi
AF Newbie

Do you think changing out the instrument panel could have had an affect on the ECU? Do you think that flashing the ECU will fix the problem with knowing everything that is going on?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #14
Tech II
AF Fanatic

No.....I/P has nothing to do with PKIII....

You are kind of jumping the gun on reflashing the ECM....that is a guess....proper diagnosis is the correct method....
Old 02-26-2016, 12:39 AM   #15
ronabruzzi
AF Newbie

being the transmission is locked up in the car the buick dealership will not look at the car.. i have a buddy that has a code reader but i dont know if its the one that reads "P" and "B" codes.I was also looking at these universal remote start interfaces (the box you install before you add a remote start) that actually bypass the manufacturer antenna ring by inserting a spare key into the interface , i wonder if thatll get me going.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_607556U...7856145&awdv=c