Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
mustangjim88
AF Newbie

ford engin trouble

my 88 mustang i converted the drums to discs , tremec tko 5 spd. king cobra clutch , short throw, new moter rebuild bored 30 but it keeps popping through the carb , oh ya i made it into carburated . just redid the timing chain but i cant under stand y it is still popping ?
mustangjim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
NOVA350SS630hp
AF Newbie

Re: ford engin trouble

popping ? as in back firing, well it could be your carb on my nova the 4 banger was bad so i swaped it out with a edel 750 cfm carb or it could be the intake not to sure tell me more about the problem, just wondering is your stang a cobra or gt anything like that? you might have to change back to TB rather then a carb
NOVA350SS630hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:58 PM   #3
gumby84029
AF Newbie

Talking

thats what u get when u buy a ford
gumby84029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:43 AM   #4
Doug Rodrigues
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Doug Rodrigues
There's nothing wrong with Fords. I've got more horror stories about GMC products than with Ford products. That's a very objective comment, because for me motor vehicles just get me from point A to point B. They're just another machine.
Doug Rodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
bshultzrn
AF Newbie

Three things that commonly cause backfiring are leaning out, flooding from a stuck float, or timing out of whack. I had the same issue when I shoehorned a BBC into my boat, and I accidently put the timing chain off a tooth, which severely retarded the timing, which could cause the problem. If the timing is advance 4 degrees with a sprocket, or retarded the same way, it's common to be off since the marks that line you up aren't perfect...just a thought. Also, what type of carburetor are you running?..I'd go with a holley 780 myself...
bshultzrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
KILLER CAMARO
AF Newbie

popping through the carb sounds like a lean condition to me. Turn out your idle screws a little on the metering block, you could also have a 4 corner idle circuit (then turn out all 4) make sure they are all even amounts threaded out. might want to have buddy do this for you, unless you know what i am talking about.
KILLER CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #7
coindex
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to coindex Send a message via MSN to coindex Send a message via Yahoo to coindex

usually backfiring through your carb means your mixture is rich NOT lean. The timing is probably off and needs advanced.
Check your float level meter also
coindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:09 PM   #8
KILLER CAMARO
AF Newbie

WHAT!?!?!? i gotta stick with lean FROM EXPERIENCE. through the muffs=rich through the carb=lean and he was already told about the float level and the timing, either of which could be the problem.
KILLER CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:53 AM   #9
S-10Eater
AF Newbie

You guys have covered all i can think of and anybody know good place for supercharger for a 390? (i want it in my 94 Ranger)
heheheheheehehe
-5spd v6
-Hooker Headers (not on yet)
-Superchip
-Carbon Fiber interior
-Dash,Door Panels, Leather Seats,Diamond Plate Alum. Floor
-Carbon fiber Taillights
-Black Corner lenses
-Clear Headlights
-Swing Away column
-New K&N
S-10Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:50 PM   #10
ReAl_RaCiNg
AF Newbie

i know what your problem is, with your popping sound. When you switched over to a carb. in your mustang, you forgot about one important thing. I'm sure it'll make all of the difference. What you did wrong, is you bought a mustang. I mean it's a ford none the less. Go get yourself a chevy, or at least a gm built motor, and everything should work out just fine. If ford is so great, then why did their stock drop to four dollars a share a few months back. enough said.
ReAl_RaCiNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:43 PM   #11
Rgstab
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAl_RaCiNg
i know what your problem is, with your popping sound. When you switched over to a carb. in your mustang, you forgot about one important thing. I'm sure it'll make all of the difference. What you did wrong, is you bought a mustang. I mean it's a ford none the less. Go get yourself a chevy, or at least a gm built motor, and everything should work out just fine. If ford is so great, then why did their stock drop to four dollars a share a few months back. enough said.
IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ITS NOT MUCH! Everybody can make a mistake, even God. Thats GM, Gods Mistake.

Man made Ford man can fix FORD.

Check firing order, must match cam. 5.0 & HO are same as 351. 289- 302use a diff. firing order. Dont forget that Real engines (not kids toys) are 1-2-3-4 on the pass. side & 5-6-7-8 on the driver side.
Rgstab is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk