Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
plastikboy
AF Newbie

Engines?

Okay, personally I'm a GM guy, but my wife would love to own an old Stang coupe (late 60s). My only problem is, if I were to buy an old GM, all I have to do is buy an edelbrock crate engine for about 2 grand and I've got instant GM muscle without hassle. What options would I have if I were to go to the dark side (better known simply as Ford). I want a BRAND new engine, not to rebuild some rusted bucket of bolts, but I don't want anything with computers or fuel injection and it has to be larger than the 289 (that just aint enough ponies...) and I don't want to spend more than about 3 grand on the engine. I know this may be sacreligious to you guys, but is it possible to drop an edelbrock/chevy 400/396 into a 67 stang? Would I have to put in a chevy transmission? Chevy rear axel? How extensive would the fabrications be to drop a chevy power plant into a Ford engine well?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: Engines?

Ford does offer "crate" engines. You can find them in Scummit and Jug's.
You say you want a "new" engine, and not a rebuild. Well, you are a victim of both bad information and good advertising. A competent and honest machinist can build you a "rebuild" that will outlive AND outrun a crater for less money. A cheesy shop will screw you. Chevrolet will, too.
The first thing we do to a Chevy "crater" is take it apart and measure everything, and repair the poor work we ALWAYS find in there. The crank will usually be "bent", the block dirty, and clearances all over the map. Over the years, we have always "blue printed" Chevys so they would run to their potential. Crate engines are done in a production environment with low-wage workers assembling them. The World Products and Eagle craters are the possible exceptions.
I know we sent a 308 CID Ford to my brother for his '78 King Cobra (he bought it new, don't laugh, and we DID put it in a crate...). It went 13.84 @ 105 at the Tulsa Mustang show, spinning the right rear tire 1/8 of a mile, 3.0 gears... He also won an award for the car AND engine at the Nashville Birthday Bash last April.
I guess, my point, as a professional engine builder and a member of the Central Virginia BBB, don't write off rebuilds as all junk, any more than you should expect more performance from a crater than a good custom build. You won't find anyone in the "winner's circle" running a stocker or a crater. Oh maybe once in a while, but you'll find Comp cams, Ross or JE pistons, Hooker headers, MSD ignition, Holley carbs, Edelbrock intakes (NOT carbs) and heads (on some engine families) or Dart heads. You won't find any of these combinatioins all in one crater. Craters are for convenience, not quality or performance. The exception there are the high-dollar craters (like the aformentioned World or Eagle offerings). You certainly won't get it from a $2K job...
To put the Chevy small block in the early Mustang, you can use the '67-older Nova/Chevy II pan and pickup. It's commonly done. Be prepared to beat about the head and shoulders by the Ford boys... A BBC is a bit more difficult to stick in the Ford.
A 460 Ford, properly done, will run with the very best Chevy has to offer. A 408 "Windsor" has become the more popular Ford aftermarket combination. The Windsor block allows for the use of a decent rod length for durability, unlike the 347s out there. The 332 seems to be the hot ticket for the short deck (289/302 block).
Old 05-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
pissboy
AF Enthusiast

dont be cheap and put a chevy motor in a ford. if your going to do that stick with a chevy. that 289 could reach 400+ HP or get a 351w and build that. if you want a big block make sure the stang had it as an option or you are going to have some work to do with the shock towers and front suspension. crate motors are good to start with but get a short block and build it your self. good luck
Old 07-27-2005, 10:27 PM   #4
KMracer
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikboy
Okay, personally I'm a GM guy, but my wife would love to own an old Stang coupe (late 60s). My only problem is, if I were to buy an old GM, all I have to do is buy an edelbrock crate engine for about 2 grand and I've got instant GM muscle without hassle. What options would I have if I were to go to the dark side (better known simply as Ford). I want a BRAND new engine, not to rebuild some rusted bucket of bolts, but I don't want anything with computers or fuel injection and it has to be larger than the 289 (that just aint enough ponies...) and I don't want to spend more than about 3 grand on the engine. I know this may be sacreligious to you guys, but is it possible to drop an edelbrock/chevy 400/396 into a 67 stang? Would I have to put in a chevy transmission? Chevy rear axel? How extensive would the fabrications be to drop a chevy power plant into a Ford engine well?
first off, there is no WAY you can get an edelbrock crate engine for 2 grand. try at least 6 grand and second, they dont do transmissions nor do they do transmissions or big blocks.
i would take the engine to your local machine shop, get it built up mildly and drop it in. a 302 will have plenty of grunt. that will cost ya about 5 grand, everything new. OR you can go to ford racing and buy a 302 for 6 grand, plus the other parts you have to buy(a grand or so).

"New age muscle is where its at"

Old 08-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
Mines69Olds
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Mines69Olds
I think that if you get it with a 289 you should just rebuild it. I mean it would be easy to get about 350hp out of it. Why does it have to have lots of power anyway it's going to be your wifes car and since you're a die hard GM man then you won't want to drive it. But if the 289 isn't enough for you they did put 390's starting from 66' that you could build or even a 427 or 428. If you could find one of them sitting in someone's garage you probably get a good deal on it. I found a 68' Olds 455 engine and trans with 58,000 miles on them for $800. So it all depends on how far you are willing to go and how fast you want your wife wants her car to be.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:53 PM   #6
neatofrito1618
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to neatofrito1618 Send a message via Yahoo to neatofrito1618

yea im with 69 olds. and those late 60's mustang auto. transmissions r very slow. the record for a late 60's mustang 289 with a auto. is about 11 sec. in the 0-60.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:41 PM   #7
gert55
AF Newbie

Here is a place to get a chevy crate motor.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/
Old 08-11-2005, 12:58 AM   #8
Mines69Olds
AF Regular

Everyone here is obsessed with horsepower and going fast. Well I think you should keep a nice late 60's mustang looking stock with maybe a little horsepower upgrades without getting crazy. I mean I really like the old mustangs not just for their potential power but that look. Everyone ends up getting them juiced and wrapping them around trees or letting them rust and die. Well I say someone needs to keep some of these around just for the look and feel of the vehicle. They are becoming fewer and far more inbetween than they should. Hopefully before they all die someone will start to just save them.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #9
neatofrito1618
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to neatofrito1618 Send a message via Yahoo to neatofrito1618

theres a lot of late 60's mustangs. there not gonna die anytime soon.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #10
Mustanglvr_GTCS
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr_GTCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikboy

Plastikboy, you are a complete idiot. I can`t believe you would even suggest putting a piece of crap Chevy engine in such an american classic car like the Ford Mustang. A Ford motor will outlast any Chevy motor. Think of all the extra work you would have to do to change everything over to accomidate a Chevy engine and transmission. I have never heard of anything so stupid in my life. Why don`t you get her one of those rice burners and put Chevy emblems on that for your wife. She would`nt know the difference. And I don`t think you would either.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Re: Engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglvr_GTCS
Plastikboy, you are a complete idiot.
Hey, buddy, take it easy on the abuse, okay?
Plastikboy is simply asking a question and inviting opinion. Sure you can disagree with his statement, but there is no reason to be insulting to him personally or his wife.

Remember why we are here, to discuss cars in the spirit of community and friendship, regardless of any difference in opinion.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:56 PM   #12
Mustanglvr_GTCS
AF Newbie

Whoa, there is life in this forum. Thats good to know. But who are you to talk MagicRat, when you have sick profanity in your signature? By the way, you should check out my profile before you pass judgement on me Buddy.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:35 AM   #13
Mines69Olds
AF Regular

Talk about passing judgement you called plastikboy
a complete idiot for a suggestion of his. Come on. and we aren't supposed to judge you because you are a girl? I really don't understand your logic here.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
Mustanglvr_GTCS
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mines69Olds
Talk about passing judgement you called plastikboy
a complete idiot for a suggestion of his. Come on. and we aren't supposed to judge you because you are a girl? I really don't understand your logic here.
I`m not passing judgement on Plastikboy. In "MY OPINION", which I have a right to express, he is an IDIOT for suggesting something SOOO STUPID!

It was implied that I was male. I deserve the respect to be acknowledged as a female if someone is going to be so arrogant and chauvenistic to assume that just because I am posting on an automotive website, chatting about cars, that I am a male!

Oh yeah, men don`t know the meaning of logic.
By the way, if you want to go at it like this for the rest of your life, just bring it on. I`ve worked with men all my life and even been married to one for 18 years so I know how you think and you won`t win. Rhonda
Old 10-24-2005, 12:42 PM   #15
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

A Ford will outlast any Chevy? Interesting... Some maybe, some maybe not.

Each engine family, even within a manufacturer, have good and bad points. Fords are no exception. For example, 289s/302s are notorious for beating the main bearings out in a relatively short time, compared to others. Windsors, on the other hand, have few bearing issues (larger main journal is the key).

If you expect to be taken seriously, ease up on the emotional tirades. Throwing the male/female thing around won't help your "cause" either. Give factual and to-the-point information and you'll be accepted a lot quicker. Nobody here cares whether you're male or female... (at least I don't)

Jim

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical