Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: Which is the best genration of Trans Am's
1st generation 10 22.73%
2nd generation 20 45.45%
3rd generation 4 9.09%
4th generation 10 22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #61
79Bandit
AF Enthusiast

Re: Which Trans Am is the best

My trans am is the best lol j.p
Old 01-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #62
ramairgto72

Re: Re: Which Trans Am is the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Bandit
My trans am is the best lol j.p
Did it used have a 403?

Nice, I would like to see the fire chicken back on it.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 PM   #63
79Bandit
AF Enthusiast

yes it did i still have the original motor ( not blown ) but im rebuilding it...but i think im going to drop a crate 502 into it
Old 02-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #64
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Bandit,

A couple of things. First, dropping a BBC in there will make it no longer a Trans Am, both in the engine bay AND in performance. BBC is significantly heavier than any of the original engines those cars came with. The end result is a nose-heavy, plowin' bitch, no longer worthy of the name "Trans Am".

Also, we have first-hand experience with those 502 horse 502s. As with any other Chevrolet production engine (that's all those are, by the way...), the first thing you must do, if you expect it to make power AND live, is to disassemble and blueprint it. We know of at least two that started out as $7K craters, and ended up being over $14K by the time all the corrections were made, and parts changed to actually achieve the power level claimed.
As with anything else, you get what you pay for. A crate motor is easy and convenient. You will note the absence of the words "good" and "powerful" in there... Ya, ya... I know. Many people love their craters. Compared to what?

Everyone on this board already knows what's coming next... Build a Pontiac and beat up on the others! For the very same $7,500 you would spend buying and shipping the crater, you could have about 50 more HP, and nearly 100 lb. ft. more torque, by using a 461 Pontiac. Bump it up another grand, and you get aluminum heads and 600-plus HP.

The best part of using the Pontiac, is THAT is what the car was designed for. It fits, and the weight gives it the best of all possible worlds, when it comes to "balance".

Of course, putting the Chevy in it would assure no Pontiac guy or gal would give you the time of day, either at a show OR the track... We're funny about that.. Kinda like what you get from Chevy guys when they see a 400 Pontiac in Corvette... It's BEEN DONE!

It IS possible to extract a ton of power from the Olds. It's not nearly as practical as either the Chevy or the Pontiac, nor will it live nearly as long. But, as before, it HAS been done!

Jim
Old 02-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #65
RavagePenguin
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to RavagePenguin Send a message via MSN to RavagePenguin Send a message via Yahoo to RavagePenguin

I remember reading in Hot Rod magazine about a company that build Pontiac blocks and I think the biggest Pontiac block the company may was a 505. Yes a 505. Don't remember the exact details so I might be a little off with the size of it though I just know it was bigger than a 455.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #66
79Bandit
AF Enthusiast

well jim thanks for the advise
Old 02-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #67
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Savagepenguin...

There are three aftermarket blocks available, that can yield up to a 4.4" bore size. A 4.375" bore, combined with a 4.25" storke, makes the popular "505". One can actually GET up to 619 by using the 4.4" bore and a 5" stroke (considered the largest CID available with bore spacing and stroke available).
We've chosen a 4.350" bore and a 4" stroke for our blown/alcohol Injun. That makes a tidy 475 CID. There's a "1 to 1 Club" on another site (pontiacstreetperformance.com), where any Injun that makes at least 1 HP per cube gets "in". We're after the "5 to 1 Club"... (:-

Allpontiacs.com (Richmond, Virginia) sells both an iron and an aluminum block for this. Kauffman Racing (krepower.com) also has their version of the iron block. Each of the iron blocks have advantages and disadvantages over the other for a given application. They're priced about the same as Merlin or Merlin III.

Bandit,

No sweat, dude. Hate to see another perfectly good Pontiac fall victim to myth and superstition!

Jim
Old 02-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #68
neatofrito1618
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to neatofrito1618 Send a message via Yahoo to neatofrito1618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairgto72
Did it used have a 403?

Nice, I would like to see the fire chicken back on it.
i think they put the olds 403 and the pontiac 400 both in that year
Old 02-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #69
RavagePenguin
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to RavagePenguin Send a message via MSN to RavagePenguin Send a message via Yahoo to RavagePenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPbody
Savagepenguin...

There are three aftermarket blocks available, that can yield up to a 4.4" bore size. A 4.375" bore, combined with a 4.25" storke, makes the popular "505". One can actually GET up to 619 by using the 4.4" bore and a 5" stroke (considered the largest CID available with bore spacing and stroke available).
We've chosen a 4.350" bore and a 4" stroke for our blown/alcohol Injun. That makes a tidy 475 CID. There's a "1 to 1 Club" on another site (pontiacstreetperformance.com), where any Injun that makes at least 1 HP per cube gets "in". We're after the "5 to 1 Club"... (:-

Allpontiacs.com (Richmond, Virginia) sells both an iron and an aluminum block for this. Kauffman Racing (krepower.com) also has their version of the iron block. Each of the iron blocks have advantages and disadvantages over the other for a given application. They're priced about the same as Merlin or Merlin III.

Bandit,

No sweat, dude. Hate to see another perfectly good Pontiac fall victim to myth and superstition!

Jim
Makes me want to rob a bank to get enough money to for a 619. Boy would that be fun to have in my Trans Am. That would show this I know with his little Cavalier with a fart can at the end of it that his car isn't the fastest in this town.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:06 AM   #70
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

RP,

The 505 would be the best combo for a streeter! 4.375" bore, 4.25" stroke... Cranks are readily available and rather cheap (under $300). Chevy boys would KILL for a crank that could support 700 HP and cost less than $700...(:-

Jim
Old 10-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #71
89firebirdformula
AF Newbie

3 gen by far
Old 10-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #72
89firebirdformula
AF Newbie

3 gen by far
Old 10-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #73
FormulaLT1
Fight the powwa!!!

Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1

Please try to only post in threads that have been active within the past couple of weeks. Thanks and welcome to AF.

John
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.

Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical