Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
vt4000
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Cannot start 1999 Lumina

I have a 1999 Lumina that will not start. When I insert the key and turn it into the START position, the fuel pump primes and the daytime running lights turn off, but the starter motor does not turn at all. I am very sure I have a charged battery. I even tried jumpstarting with no success. I'm thinking the problem may have to do with the theft deterrent starter kill relay. If anyone knows where in the car that relay is located, that info would be greatly appreciated. Please help!
vt4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Cannot start 1999 Lumina

Does the security lite stay on? If so leave the key on for 15 min then turn it off for 10 secs., try and start.
maxwedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
vt4000
AF Newbie

No, security light doesn't stay on. I was thinking it had to do with the theft deterrent relay preventing power from getting to the starter motor. If anyone knows where that is, please tell me so I can short it out!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

If it was the theft deterrent, the fuel pump wouldn't prime, as the theft deterrent kills the fuel pump relay. I would check for power getting to the "s" terminal of the starter solenoid. If there is no power to the "s" terminal when the key is turned to start, you've got a bad ignition switch or neutral safety switch. If there is power there, either the starter is bad, or the battery doesn't have enough amperage to turn the starter over.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
Daghara_terry
AF Newbie

check and see if your key has a chip in it on my uncles lumina it did the same thing and he couldn't figure it out until he took it to the dealership and they told him he had to get a new key made so when my uncle went home he got the other set of keys he had and it turned right over if not the problem good luck and I'll find where the theft deterrent relay is.
Daghara_terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
vt4000
AF Newbie

I'm pretty sure the key doesn't have a chip, because the car saw only 13,000 miles of use.

After close inspection, I have come to the conclusion that the previous owner of the car had the dealer install an aftermarket security system (blinking red LED on dashboard next to steering wheel). Where would this system be located in the car?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
Hearts88
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt4000
I'm pretty sure the key doesn't have a chip, because the car saw only 13,000 miles of use.

After close inspection, I have come to the conclusion that the previous owner of the car had the dealer install an aftermarket security system (blinking red LED on dashboard next to steering wheel). Where would this system be located in the car?
No offence, but what does the miles of the car have to do with the Chip?
What he is referring to is that on the ignition key on some of the Lumina's there is a black "chip". Electronic chip. When you insert the key not only do the tumblers have to line up for the key to turn but the "programing" on the chip has to match whats inside the sterrring column.

Anyway, as for the alarm system. Check at your Battery for 1st. Generally there will be an extra wire hooked up at the positive terminal, to use the power for the alarm.

Also you can check the fuse panel. Look for any wires that look like they have been added to the panel. Also possible that the alarm was hooked up directly to the fuse panel to get it's power.

Hope this helps.

Hearts88
Hearts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
maxwedge
A990 racer

Start looking for wires spliced into the harness from the ign switch.
maxwedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Have someone hold the key over to the start position while you give the starter a whack with a hammer.

Betcha it starts right up, very common with GM starters when they start to go bad. If it starts, drive over to the parts store and buy yourself a starter, you need it.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Whoops, missed the part about the alarm light on the dash.

Most of those when they locked out would reset only after being locked and unlocked with the keyless remote. We had a lot of owners run into this dillema because they'd bought the car used, and never had a remote for it. The first time someone tripped the system by tampering with it while locked up, the system locked out starter operation until reset.

I used to start them with the old "Screwdriver across the starter terminals" trick we always did when Ford starter relays went bad. That will get it started if the security system is locked out. Since you havenoticed the fuel pump runs, there is no fuel cutoff with that system.

Great deterrent, when any fool with a screwdriver can defeat it. (sarcasm)

It may reset once running, I can't remember. If not you'll have to disable the aftermarket security system or try to obtain a remote if you don't have one...

...empty gun rack.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
barryadair
AF Newbie

Another thing to try it works on my 1996 I dropped my remote and broke it and then started having the same problem, but mine was only when I locked the doors, and used the key to unlock it, thsn sometime it would not start, I called the Chevy house and was told to roll the drivers window down, remove the keys from the switch, lock the car, stay out of it for 3 minutes, then reach in the window unlock the door and it would start this has worked for me for a couple of months now, I just bought a remote from a guy on ebay hope it works when I get it
barryadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #12
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryadair
Another thing to try it works on my 1996 I dropped my remote and broke it and then started having the same problem, but mine was only when I locked the doors, and used the key to unlock it, thsn sometime it would not start, I called the Chevy house and was told to roll the drivers window down, remove the keys from the switch, lock the car, stay out of it for 3 minutes, then reach in the window unlock the door and it would start this has worked for me for a couple of months now, I just bought a remote from a guy on ebay hope it works when I get it
You'll have to get the remote matched to the car....they have many different freqs.

...empty gun rack.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #13
barryadair
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcoslacker
You'll have to get the remote matched to the car....they have many different freqs.
Thanks I have a txt file about how to program it, I am going to try that but I did not pay but $4.99 for it so no big deal if it does not work
barryadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #14
alberto98
AF Newbie

Something like that is happening to my 98 lumina. One morning I unlock the car with the remote and when I tried to start it it did not work. It seemed like it was dead. After trying several times I got it working. Once I turned it off I locked it and then unlocked it with the remote and once again I was not able to start the engine. Then, by accident I figure out that if I did not lock it using the remote, it would start like always. However, I am uncertain on what the problem is ...
alberto98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #15
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto98
Something like that is happening to my 98 lumina. One morning I unlock the car with the remote and when I tried to start it it did not work. It seemed like it was dead. After trying several times I got it working. Once I turned it off I locked it and then unlocked it with the remote and once again I was not able to start the engine. Then, by accident I figure out that if I did not lock it using the remote, it would start like always. However, I am uncertain on what the problem is ...
sounds like the relay in the security system that disables the starter is getting stuck when you use the remote (which arms the system)

...empty gun rack.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina