Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 02:37 AM   #16
Musclecarclub
AF Enthusiast

Re: There really is no point to this.

I, for one, am thankful that we all have so many choices. What fun would it be if one brand was the best in every aspect?
Modifications: None - Totally stock!

Former owner of:
1969 Buick GS 400 Convertible
Modifications: 430 4bbl. V8 (from a '68 Riviera), Stage 1 spec Carb, headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, transmission shift kit, and column tachometer - to name a few ...
Old 01-16-2004, 04:54 AM   #17
DrivECRasH
AF Newbie

I have a few comments about this whole american vs. jap thing. Look at what you are bickering about? Most ford powerplants are made by mazda anymore.. Dodge/Chrysler is all Mitsibitchy.. GM owns GEO and uses Toyota transmissions.. it's all junk. (yes, i'm a mechanic) Don't believe me, go look at some parts cross-refrence books. It's pathetic. My "american car" is my 1970 Couger XR7 which is still running, still looks good, and will still blow the (*$&@ doors off any rice burning tweaked out tin can of a modern car you want to throw at it. The ONLY car to give me a run for my money that has come out in the last few years is the 2002 Ram Air Trans-Am. Period.

American Cars *the real ones* are and will be the best.. as long as people realize you have to MAINTAIN them.. just like any car.. not fix them when they break. Idiots.

-DrivECRasH
Old 01-16-2004, 06:48 AM   #18
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mikegee
Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivECRasH
I have a few comments about this whole american vs. jap thing. Look at what you are bickering about? Most ford powerplants are made by mazda anymore.. Dodge/Chrysler is all Mitsibitchy.. GM owns GEO and uses Toyota transmissions.. it's all junk. (yes, i'm a mechanic) Don't believe me, go look at some parts cross-refrence books. It's pathetic. My "american car" is my 1970 Couger XR7 which is still running, still looks good, and will still blow the (*$&@ doors off any rice burning tweaked out tin can of a modern car you want to throw at it. The ONLY car to give me a run for my money that has come out in the last few years is the 2002 Ram Air Trans-Am. Period.

American Cars *the real ones* are and will be the best.. as long as people realize you have to MAINTAIN them.. just like any car.. not fix them when they break. Idiots.

-DrivECRasH
ok so you've never raced a serious "rice burning tweaked out tin can of a modern car " but what's the point muscle heads are the most hard headed bunch out there. and you are a muscle head. time and time again has it been proven that a stock import depending on which one can and will oout run your muscle car. what more has to be done. a 270 hp 2.0 liters can out run a V8 5.4 liter claiming 390hp. it said how older people always saying "young people dont listen, they are hard headed" and i want you to listen to me there is plenty of replacements for displacements. a lower powered jap car and kill a lot of V8s with more power and costing more money.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:37 PM   #19
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
Just because the car is cheaper and gets better gas mileage doesn't mean it's better. You forgot about the thing that most people who peruse these forums care most about....performance and looks. I would rather have a 350 hp gas hog than some 60mpg cheapo hybrid plastic piece of shit, but that's just the redneck inside of me coming out. I want a car that's fast and reliable *cough*muscle car*cough* not a slow economy car...my opinion. Although...my dad was telling me not to long ago, that everyone back in the day had a hot rod, and if you didn't you still drove your car like it was one...so i guess not much has changed except now import enthusiasts say their cars are better because they have more technology, which in my opinion means that their's just more stuff to fix when it brakes.

bah, there i go rambling on again about nothing

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
Old 01-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #20
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegee
ok so you've never raced a serious "rice burning tweaked out tin can of a modern car " but what's the point muscle heads are the most hard headed bunch out there. and you are a muscle head. time and time again has it been proven that a stock import depending on which one can and will oout run your muscle car. what more has to be done. a 270 hp 2.0 liters can out run a V8 5.4 liter claiming 390hp. it said how older people always saying "young people dont listen, they are hard headed" and i want you to listen to me there is plenty of replacements for displacements. a lower powered jap car and kill a lot of V8s with more power and costing more money.
I've never seen this.. And believe me i'm around a lot of racing. At the local track import racers usually get laughed at. And then to add insult to injury, when they race one of the "V8's", they get their butts handed to them...Not all V8's depend on the "390 HP", more or less the torque they are putting out. Ever see a 4 Cylinder run 7.33 in the 1/8mile, neither have i. But the car i work on in my automotive classes at college can. 1980 Chevy Malibu, 356 C.I.D 500+ HP, and on a limited budget that we have to raise ourselves.

AF User Guidelines

Old 01-27-2004, 04:13 PM   #21
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28Josh
I've never seen this.. And believe me i'm around a lot of racing. At the local track import racers usually get laughed at. And then to add insult to injury, when they race one of the "V8's", they get their butts handed to them...Not all V8's depend on the "390 HP", more or less the torque they are putting out. Ever see a 4 Cylinder run 7.33 in the 1/8mile, neither have i. But the car i work on in my automotive classes at college can. 1980 Chevy Malibu, 356 C.I.D 500+ HP, and on a limited budget that we have to raise ourselves.

number one- i was talking about two stock cars
number two- example a 2003 mitsubishi evo vs. a 2003 svt cobra
number three- there is a 4 cylinder caviler with a 2.2 Liter ecotec running in the low 7's oh i was talking about 1/4 not 1/8 mile.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #22
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

just because you dont see does not mean it dont happen, the race track near me (capital raceway, md) imports are holding there own. and rememeber this import tuners are younger people unable to spend as much money. trust me import tuners are coming.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:58 PM   #23
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

I am young(i'm 18), and believe me there is plenty of contingent of V8 racers still out there who are holding their own, continuing to prove that "there is no replacement for displacement." Not ALL young people are into this import craze that seems to plague the streets. I'm sorry if it's a little hard for me to believe, but i've heard so many BS stories from a friend of mine saying his friends stock RSX TypeS beat a Grand Prix GTP with a smaller pulley, it gets hard to believe anyone anymore . I just get sick of hearing that imports are soooo much better than american cars it makes me want to puke.

And the Evo's tranny will break after the third pass at the strip anyway so it doesn't matter.

7.33 in the 1/8 and 11.73 in the 1/4, and we have only put 5000$ into the car; that's including chassis, body, and engine(the carclub was started up in 1999).

AF User Guidelines

Old 01-27-2004, 06:35 PM   #24
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I am young(i'm 18), and believe me there is plenty of contingent of V8 racers still out there who are holding their own, continuing to prove that "there is no replacement for displacement." Not ALL young people are into this import craze that seems to plague the streets. I'm sorry if it's a little hard for me to believe, but i've heard so many BS stories from a friend of mine saying his friends stock RSX TypeS beat a Grand Prix GTP with a smaller pulley, it gets hard to believe anyone anymore . I just get sick of hearing that imports are soooo much better than american cars it makes me want to puke.

And the Evo's tranny will break after the third pass at the strip anyway so it doesn't matter.

7.33 in the 1/8 and 11.73 in the 1/4, and we have only put 5000$ into the car; that's including chassis, body, and engine(the carclub was started up in 1999).

lol i can see a rsx beating a gtp, the tranny on the evo can handle upwards of 400 hp everyday left stock itll drag all day long no troubles, and add $5000 and i know itll be into the 10s. and i will not say that imports are sooo much better but i will say there are making the same amount of power with smaller engines. like the like line with a 2.5 Liter inline six having stock 350 wheel horse power. and i can respect 11.7s in the 1/4 with $5000 worth of work.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:57 AM   #25
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Are you refering to the Nissan 2.5 ltre in the Maximas, cause i'm pretty sure that only has 250. And the car wasn't stock, we had to build it from the ground up, we even had to makeshift most of the parts we couldn't afford to buy...but by god it runs like a striped assed ape.

I here so many people on the forums and on the streets talk about how much better imports are....Most of them have only 2 reasons, technology and turbos.

It was a good argument but i think i'm gonna move on to a new one. You've proved your point, and i've proved mine.

AF User Guidelines

Old 01-28-2004, 06:02 PM   #26
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Are you refering to the Nissan 2.5 ltre in the Maximas, cause i'm pretty sure that only has 250. And the car wasn't stock, we had to build it from the ground up, we even had to makeshift most of the parts we couldn't afford to buy...but by god it runs like a striped assed ape.

I here so many people on the forums and on the streets talk about how much better imports are....Most of them have only 2 reasons, technology and turbos.

It was a good argument but i think i'm gonna move on to a new one. You've proved your point, and i've proved mine.

nope that is not what i was talking bout i was talking bout the rb26det found in the skyline.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #27
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
a 270 hp 2.0 liters can out run a V8 5.4 liter claiming 390hp.
Well it's only 4.6L but OK. It cannot outrun the cobra either by any stretch.
The EVO is boosting what 17 PSI intercooled turbo, and the SVT 8 PSI roots non-intercooled. Roots are also very inefficient.
Plus the AWD of the EVO is what makes it so fast in the 1/4. I would put money on the EVO's 60 ft times being atleast a full second better than the cobra, which equals atleast 2 seconds in the whole 1/4 mile. From a roll, the Cobra would smoke an EVO no problem.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #28
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
The EVO is boosting what 17 PSI intercooled turbo, and the SVT 8 PSI roots non-intercooled. Roots are also very inefficient.
Plus the AWD of the EVO is what makes it so fast in the 1/4. I would put money on the EVO's 60 ft times being atleast a full second better than the cobra, which equals atleast 2 seconds in the whole 1/4 mile. From a roll, the Cobra would smoke an EVO no problem.

ok since ya wanna compare from a roll. i can respect that. win yes, i can see that but not smoking,lets put them on a complicated road course like leguna seca?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:13 PM   #29
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN

only 4.6 thats still a lot of liters. the difference between liters of these 2 cars are more liters then in my car.

and you bring the point up about boost the number of boost. so whats ya point?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:02 PM   #30
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
ok since ya wanna compare from a roll. i can respect that. win yes, i can see that but not smoking,lets put them on a complicated road course like leguna seca?
The whole reason the EVO was built was to be a rally car