Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 04:02 AM   #31
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: not feeling V-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
Oh one other thing, why is it that the worst B series (in terms of HP) has 140 HP and there is no D series that ever even had that much? You can even count JDM engines if you want, and still not even 140 HP.
LOL-Yeah the D's are really good aren't they???
137hp to be exact in the DOHC ZC D16A8, but who's counting. Again, FAILURE to research. Go ahead and keep digging yourself into the ground. I'm sure you'll fight for that extra 3hp differance though.

Don't be jealous or mad when your a$$ get's passed by a D.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:30 AM   #32
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx
Re: Re: not feeling V-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverY2KCivic
137hp to be exact in the DOHC ZC D16A8, but who's counting. Again, FAILURE to research. Go ahead and keep digging yourself into the ground. I'm sure you'll fight for that extra 3hp differance though.

I have to interject here, sorry, but I have had the DOHC D16Z5 134hp in a rex, and I am sorry, but it is NOT going to beat a B in a civic. Maybe a standard DOHC D against an auto B, but that's it. Oh and yes PWMAN the lowest Hp on a B series is the auto SiRII and it is 155Ps due to Hondas lame ass auto cams. If we are talking about a built D vs a stock B then yea ok it's going to put down more (depending on the build), but that is a ghey argument, since you can build a B to levels that a D just isn't going to see without serious money. Props go out to those that are sticking with their D's and building them good, but I am really sick of the ones that are saying ignorant shit like "Dude, everyone is doing B series, I am going to be original and keep my D" Sorry for the rant, but listening to D vs B is getting as dumb ass import vs domestic. Shit I love cars, import, domestic, whatever, and D and B series are both Honda motors so why can't everyone just shut up all ready, and enjoy your car and building it up to how you want it and stop worrying and crying about what others say and do.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:41 AM   #33
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx

Quote:

Okay, not I am in no way argueing here. I assumed that his 140hp "worst hp output" for a B-series was a 92-93 B18A1 or a 96+ B18B1, both of which have an output of 140 hp. However, that being said, the 90-91 B18A1 only had 130HP, Honda up'd it to 140 as you can see, for the 92-93 Integra non-GSR models. The 94 + B18B1, the motor most commenly refered to by people (including me) as the "LS" motor, has 142HP. So, in short, techincally, the weakest B-series motor is the 90-91 B18A1 @ 130HP from the 90-91 USDM non-GSR Integra models, not the 140HP 92-93 B18A1. Not joining the arguement, just stating the facts Also, I think this arguement is pointless. I respect the person who opts to build there D, I respect the person would swaps in a B and builds it. I fully stick by my statement in my pervious post. It's all about goals in what engine you go with. Sticking with a D my be the correct option for a person with one goal, where as swapping in a B way be the correct option for someone with another. With motors, it's like choosing turbos, which one is correct for you depends fully on your goals. If my goal is 160WHP and low-end torque isn't a big deal, for example, then swapping in a B-series like the LS may very well indeed cost more than building your own turbo kit for your D16Z6 and running it at a safe 7psi. But if 300WHP and low-end torque are your goals, why are you keeping the D16Z6? The B18B1 is a much more reasonable choice , and it most likely will cost less to get there. It is well known that the B-series motors like the LS have higher output potential, and in the cases of the 1.8's more torque. This obvious makes them a better base to start with high output apps. But if someone is looking for 160WHP, then sticking with a D isn't bad. He doesn't need that base with the higher output potenial if he isn't looking to expliot it. For me personally, with and the output goals I want in a motor, including the minimum I would want, sticking with a d-series motor doesn't make sense for me at all due to my goals and perferences.

Last edited by eckoman_pdx; 08-20-2003 at 06:12 AM.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:30 AM   #34
leifscivic
AF Newbie

i have a vtec ex how do u hook up the vtec indicator light
leifscivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:50 AM   #35
Ricochet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifscivic
i have a vtec ex how do u hook up the vtec indicator light
Splice a wire into the ONLY green wire w/yellow stripe on your ecu, which is positive, and ground the other side of the led or light or whatever.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:59 PM   #36
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
How about this food for thought. Yeah people may argue "Dude, everyone is doing B series, I am going to be original and keep my D" but the GAY argument is ones that argue that a D is a POS and the only option is to swap. If you can't respect a built motor that can hold it's own (talking a built up D here) then plain and simple, you're an idiot! Don't build up a D to be original, don't swap for a B just because people tell you that's your only choice, or because you want to have what your friends have, do those because YOU want them, and because which ever of them will benifit you most. Bandwagons are for people that can't think for themselves, this applies to either side of the argument here. But if you hate on a D just because it's a D, then expect to get proven wrong about it and look dumb in the process.

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 08-20-2003, 03:25 PM   #37
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

There was no failure to research, why the hell do you think I made the statement in the first place? I know about the ZC, and it's 137 HP.
I do have to retract my previous statement about the 140 being the lowest for a B, I forgot about the 90-91 Teg LS motor has 130.
But again this doesn't seem to be sinking in here, the lowest HP B VS the highest HP D. And your saying oh it's only 3 HP, yeah but thats the lowest B and the Highest D!!!!! Sink in yet?
Anyway, the B18B1 will still have more TORQUE though than the ZC though.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:32 PM   #38
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx

Quote:
How about this food for thought. Yeah people may argue "Dude, everyone is doing B series, I am going to be original and keep my D" but the GAY argument is ones that argue that a D is a POS and the only option is to swap. If you can't respect a built motor that can hold it's own (talking a built up D here) then plain and simple, you're an idiot! Don't build up a D to be original, don't swap for a B just because people tell you that's your only choice, or because you want to have what your friends have, do those because YOU want them, and because which ever of them will benifit you most. Bandwagons are for people that can't think for themselves, this applies to either side of the argument here. But if you hate on a D just because it's a D, then expect to get proven wrong about it and look dumb in the process.
Exactly. as a matter of fact, I have a buddy right now just bought a carbed 95 civic hatchback, EG2 I believe, he wants to build it up, I told him to swap to a fuel injected at least, he said no, lets build this one, so now the quest is beginning, and it is going to suck since the parts for carbed D series or going to be hard to find.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:05 AM   #39
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrx
Exactly. as a matter of fact, I have a buddy right now just bought a carbed 95 civic hatchback, EG2 I believe, he wants to build it up, I told him to swap to a fuel injected at least, he said no, lets build this one, so now the quest is beginning, and it is going to suck since the parts for carbed D series or going to be hard to find.

Yeah they will be harder to find, but it'll be better for power in the long run since if I remember right, carbs can spray more fuel into the motor than fuel injection can. Even the top import drag cars use carbed motors.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 08-21-2003, 04:27 AM   #40
Dreem
AF Newbie

Look for all you peeps in here!

Hey silvery2kcivic (Matt) you know what I agree with you. I was thinking about getting a swap but after all you guys started talking about 3 grand here and 4 grand there f**k that, that is too much money for me to be giving to these money hungry auto shops just for a f**cking swap. Plus I'm married and I don't think my wife would agree with me having a motor that cost more than my car. A lot has to do with hook ups. Yes I know Bisi Ezerioha, his car is running like a 16:1 compression, yes that is unheard of in any Honda motor especially a D16. My point to all you... who gives a f**k about a D16 or a B18 as long as you like your engine and what it does for you.

I have a D16 DX and we all know that engine isn't the engine you want to be racing B18's with... On the contrary I have a 19Ohp D16 and I win some and I loose some. The ones that I loose I give them a run for their money and they all come back to see what I have under my hood. That alone is good enough for me, because when they have GSR's under their hoods and I have a D16 SOHC. (no superchargers, no nos) that's good enough for me. It's all respect and hook ups. F**k it I'll race who ever wants to race me when I return to the states!!!

DREEM: FASTEST MOST ILLEGAL DX
Dreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:58 AM   #41
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: Re: Re: not feeling V-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
There was no failure to research, why the hell do you think I made the statement in the first place? I know about the ZC, and it's 137 HP.
I do have to retract my previous statement about the 140 being the lowest for a B, I forgot about the 90-91 Teg LS motor has 130.
But again this doesn't seem to be sinking in here, the lowest HP B VS the highest HP D. And your saying oh it's only 3 HP, yeah but thats the lowest B and the Highest D!!!!! Sink in yet?
Anyway, the B18B1 will still have more TORQUE though than the ZC though.
The B18B1 is from a 94+ Integra. The 90-91 Integra had a B18A1. The B18B1 will have more than just torque and displacement on the ZC, the B18B1 has the Horsepower advantage too, 142HP vs 137HP. The B18B1 is from the 94+ Integra (142hp, 127 lb/ft of torque). The B18A1 was the 90-91 Integra motor that had 130HP and 121 ft/lbs of torque (the 92-93 version of the B18A1 had 140HP and 127 ft/lbs or torque). The 90-93 and 94+ teg LS's had different B-series motors, the B18A1 for 90-93 (with 90-91 and 92-93 having different output numbers) and the B18B1 for 94+.

Also, as I said before, I agree that this B vs D agruement is pointless. It's all about the motor that suits your goals and needs best, and the one that you want. We all know there are more powerful stock Honda Motors out there than any of the D-series motors. BUt your motor should be about your vision and goals, not someone elses. I like what SilverY2KCivic said, don't swap in a B series because it's trendy or because your friends want you to, do it because it's the motor you want. Thats why I have a B18B1, it fits my goals and is the motor I wanted.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:57 AM   #42
Dreem
AF Newbie

I agree with eckoman
Dreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 12:52 AM   #43
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Re: Re: Re: Re: not feeling V-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoman_pdx
The B18B1 is from a 94+ Integra. The 90-91 Integra had a B18A1. The B18B1 will have more than just torque and displacement on the ZC, the B18B1 has the Horsepower advantage too, 142HP vs 137HP. The B18B1 is from the 94+ Integra (142hp, 127 lb/ft of torque). The B18A1 was the 90-91 Integra motor that had 130HP and 121 ft/lbs of torque (the 92-93 version of the B18A1 had 140HP and 127 ft/lbs or torque). The 90-93 and 94+ teg LS's had different B-series motors, the B18A1 for 90-93 (with 90-91 and 92-93 having different output numbers) and the B18B1 for 94+.

Also, as I said before, I agree that this B vs D agruement is pointless. It's all about the motor that suits your goals and needs best, and the one that you want. We all know there are more powerful stock Honda Motors out there than any of the D-series motors. BUt your motor should be about your vision and goals, not someone elses. I like what SilverY2KCivic said, don't swap in a B series because it's trendy or because your friends want you to, do it because it's the motor you want. Thats why I have a B18B1, it fits my goals and is the motor I wanted.

A B just doesn't fit into my goals, but for many such as Ecko, it does. I'm just trying to open up the eyes of the stubburn one track/motor minds, and those that have no faith in the D. What works for one person, might not for another, even if it is better in most cases. Not everyone has the budget for a swap (drop $3k-$4k on the spot for the motor and installation), whereas with building up a D, you can do a little at a time and even though it can cost you the same, the expenses are spread out for the more bugeted inclined such as myself.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 08-22-2003, 09:58 AM   #44
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: not feeling V-Tech

Quote:

A B just doesn't fit into my goals, but for many such as Ecko, it does. I'm just trying to open up the eyes of the stubburn one track/motor minds, and those that have no faith in the D. What works for one person, might not for another, even if it is better in most cases. Not everyone has the budget for a swap (drop $3k-$4k on the spot for the motor and installation), whereas with building up a D, you can do a little at a time and even though it can cost you the same, the expenses are spread out for the more bugeted inclined such as myself.
OK first off I never said a swap was necessary in ALL situations.
Secondly, a good turbo kit costs about 3500 ''on the spot'' just like a swap would. Actually, a B18b1 swap costs about 2K, then you can always buy mounts, etc later.
My simple point was that the B18B1 swap (not all B series) is worth the effort and money to swap in, simply because you can get 300 WHP on the stock internals-which is NOT possible on any D series. Even after you build the D you would be lucky to get 300 WHP. After awhile you can save up(while making 300 WHP on stock internals) to build the engine and make 400 + WHP or whatever you want.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:06 PM   #45
5spdfrk
AF Newbie

Cool Sohc Vtec

I have got a SOHC VTEC and cant really hear it until around third gear sometimes in second but like the others said it is not as loud in a SOHC and good luck tryin to get a SOHC to produce 200hp especially to the wheels and it still be NA because that will take a lot of trial and error and probably not the best daily driver. And take those stickers off your trunk and please lower it for everyones sake.
5spdfrk is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical