Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 05:32 PM   #76
duplox
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to duplox
Re: racing with a automatic?

Manuals will NEVER die until the internal combustion engine dies, simply because a huge number of people just like driving them. In europe, its more common to have an manual than an auto, and its often very difficult/special order if you want an auto.
An race automatic shifts faster than a human operated manual. It is almost instantaneous. Race automatics and passenger car autos are COMPLETELY different animals. An passenger car's auto shifts slowly and easily. A race auto bangs the gears very hard.

Infinitely variable transmissions are already available in production cars. Look at the Audi TT and saturn vue. They're too weak to be put in any really powerful cars. When they are stronger, they'll be the fastest things out there.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:06 AM   #77
sracing
AF Regular

Re: Re: racing with a automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duplox
Manuals will NEVER die until the internal combustion engine dies, simply because a huge number of people just like driving them.
Never? Same thing that was said about power brakes, power steering, and anti-lock brakes. <GG> They are here and they have obsoleted the past.

As I said it is a fad. People just like them (manuals).

Quote:
Infinitely variable transmissions are already available in production cars. Look at the Audi TT and saturn vue. They're too weak to be put in any really powerful cars. When they are stronger, they'll be the fastest things out there.
Exactly. In the future the variable transmission will dominate. They will be faster and more economical.

With continued EPA regulations, the variable unit will almost be mandated. It will be the only way that the internal combustion engine will meet pollution and MPG regs.

Jim
SR Racing
Old 12-23-2004, 10:32 AM   #78
duplox
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to duplox

Its not a fad if it doesn't die. Autos have been around for 50+ years, common for at least 35 years, but manuals are still around. Probably more popular(not in the USA). Even when CVTs are common, manuals will still be around. CVTs will replace automatics. Unless laws are passed to outlaw manuals(less efficient than a CVT, gas crisis), they will still be desired by many so they'll still be produced. They'll only be gone when the internal combustion engine is phased out(run out of oil) and we start driving cars powered by electric motors.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:51 AM   #79
sracing
AF Regular

Re: Re: racing with a automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duplox
Its not a fad if it doesn't die.
That's the point. They WILL die. Just like hand crank starters. At this time they still do have some advantages. But they won't in a few years.

Quote:
Autos have been around for 50+ years, common for at least 35 years, but manuals are still around.
As were 6 Volt systems, ignition points, and a dozens of other things. They all died.

Quote:
Even when CVTs are common, manuals will still be around. CVTs will replace automatics. Unless laws are passed to outlaw manuals(less efficient than a CVT, gas crisis), they will still be desired by many so they'll still be produced.
In vintage cars and possibly for special applications. And sure, there may be a few aftermarket suppliers that will provide them. But for all practical purposes they will be as dead as the 6 volt system (actually the 12V system will be dead in a few years. <g>) and hand cranks.

Quote:
They'll only be gone when the internal combustion engine is phased out(run out of oil) and we start driving cars powered by electric motors.
Yes the fossil based internal combustion engine may die along the same time line.

I remember when the luddites said that power brakes and steering would never take hold also., Those damn electronic ignition systems would never catch on because they are too much trouble, etc. etc.

Jim
SR Racing
Old 06-17-2006, 01:44 AM   #80
kevinthenerd
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracing
With continued EPA regulations, the variable unit will almost be mandated. It will be the only way that the internal combustion engine will meet pollution and MPG regs.
People underestimate the importance of aerodynamics on efficiency. Just check out the 300+ mpg Aptera.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #81
kevinthenerd
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracing
That's the point. They WILL die. Just like hand crank starters. At this time they still do have some advantages. But they won't in a few years.
I doubt somebody was sad to see hand crank starters go. The thing about a manual is that it gives you a better FEEL of the whole system. Having that extra bit of control benefits the whole driving experience. I personally want a manual transmission with a mechanical clutch linkage (instead of a hydraulic one) for that extra bit. I want to feel pebbles under the tires through a granite-hard suspension. Driving isn't something to be endured for me; it's an enjoyable experience each and every time. I'm a true car nut.

(Did I mention I want to start my own car company? It's the whole reason why I'm studying mechanical engineering right now.)
Old 06-17-2006, 01:51 AM   #82
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

please dont bring back old threads, this is 2 years old. can a mod please lock this.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #83
Carbon Fibre
AF Newbie

KEVINTHREAD!!!!!! ya got some MONEY yet? I'm giong to school for engineering at 26 'cause I finnally realised working in a fiberglass shop wasn't going to provide the flow. Hey, 2.2 straight 6 is trying to kill creativity! I want to impliment a continuously variable tranny in my car to be able to tune the engine to run as a very narrow powerband, high efficiency powerplant, but I have owned one auto-an american- and I owned that son bitch-for about a week till I sent it to the metal yard. THE ENTIRE WORLD drives standards, we in the U.S. are either lazy or uninformed to the benifits.
YES, automatics have ruled racing. DRAG racing-soo 1970. 'Cause of smooth tourque delivery. IN real racing (sorry NASCAR fans) ;standards are the rule. Yes, Nascar uses sticks, it only falls in to my category of FAKE racing. German engineeredCVT's will rule the roost when combined with direct injection. And, sorry, gas is f**cked, too. The direct injection diesel was engineered for biodeisel in the late 1800's, it works better with it.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #84
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Fibre
KEVINTHREAD!!!!!! ya got some MONEY yet? I'm giong to school for engineering at 26 'cause I finnally realised working in a fiberglass shop wasn't going to provide the flow. Hey, 2.2 straight 6 is trying to kill creativity! I want to impliment a continuously variable tranny in my car to be able to tune the engine to run as a very narrow powerband, high efficiency powerplant, but I have owned one auto-an american- and I owned that son bitch-for about a week till I sent it to the metal yard. THE ENTIRE WORLD drives standards, we in the U.S. are either lazy or uninformed to the benifits.
YES, automatics have ruled racing. DRAG racing-soo 1970. 'Cause of smooth tourque delivery. IN real racing (sorry NASCAR fans) ;standards are the rule. Yes, Nascar uses sticks, it only falls in to my category of FAKE racing. German engineeredCVT's will rule the roost when combined with direct injection. And, sorry, gas is f**cked, too. The direct injection diesel was engineered for biodeisel in the late 1800's, it works better with it.
i have absolutely no idea what any of that meant.

i wasn't trying to "kill creativity" you're not meant to bring back old threads. especially one's that've been dead or dormant for 2 years.

and please, this is an english speaking forum, please make your posts as least coherent.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #85
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Thread closed.

This is an english language forum, please use a readable level of punctuation and grammer in your posts.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical