Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Other
Other Other fabricating topics.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #1
paulmars
AF Newbie

Basic oil hose question

I have an automotive application. OEM "rubber" hose on this engine often fail. After several years the manufacturer replaced it with solid line. Earlier year owners often swap out the rubber for the later year solid. This is too involved for me right now, so i was just going to get the best high temp high pressure "rubber" hose and good clamps and inspect it often. Then i thought maybe some Wire braided hydraulic hose?

I know that then my end clamps would really be my weakest component, so maybe im going way over kill here.

In this application the hose is located between engine components with not much air movement and is also subject to pvc gases.

This is for rear VVT-i hose on toyota 2gr-fe engines which they use in many car models. Im dealing with a 2007 avalon which from what ive read is the most involved when replacing the entire line with solid. There are additional reasons that id rather not replace entire line now.

Thoughts?

Tks, pa
paulmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:54 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Basic oil hose question

The problem with using a hydraulic style hose is you couldn't use clamps. It would never have the force to hold it. If you could modify the connection points and put something like a male JIC (AN) adapter then have a hydraulic hose made using crimped female JIC connections you should be set. Most hydraulic hose should be good for 260* F.

I just did a quick search and it looks like Toyota should have to replace that hose for free.

http://media.fixed-ops.com/toy_campaigns/90k_dlrltr.pdf
Old 09-03-2020, 11:23 PM   #3
paulmars
AF Newbie

so these

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...=hose%20clamps

cant work on these

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...SABEgLDLfD_BwE

?

Toyota did a service campaign to replace these hoses to avoid having to replace entire engines after catastrophic line failure for vehicles still in warranty. They only replaced it with more rubber, and some of those fail too. Toyota says mine was replaced at 48k and now Im at 146k and I want to do it again.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Unfortunately no. That hose is meant to use fittings like this

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-at800106erl

Those are a reusable fitting that uses a reverse thread sleeve to "Screw" onto the outside of the hose, then the actual fitting screws into the hose with threads on the inside of the fitting.

After looking up what the actual assembly looks like your only option is to find a good high temp clampable hose to replace the short piece with, or to just replace it with the metal assembly. My original idea of adapters would require removal of the assembly anyway and if you are doing that you may as well just replace it.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

So I was in the middle of typing a post and lost power and lost the post. YAY!

So no those clamps won't work with that hose. That hose can't be properly clamped. That hose uses a reusable fitting that has a sleeve with a reverse thread that screws onto the outside of the hose, then the inside of the sleeve is threaded and the actual fitting screws into the fitting and into the hose.

After looking at what the assembly looks like my original idea wouldn't work. It would require removal of the assembly and if you did that you may as well replace it with the one piece unit.

The t-bolt style clamps would work well if you find a suitable clampable hi temp rubber hose.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
paulmars
AF Newbie

who makes the best strongest rubber oil line automotive hose? Best clamps?

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters."

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Other