Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
sijaz
AF Newbie

'82 Mercedes Diesel 300SD, glow light not working

I recently purchased a 1982 Mercedes 300SD with 105,000 miles on it. It was running great until last week when I ran out of Diesel. Not knowing what went wrong I tried starting it over and over without much luck. The fuel gauge was showing almost ¼ of tank.

Anyway, I pulled the car to a mechanic close by, got Diesel from nearby station, and with help from the mechanic was able to start the car. He loosen somethin next to the fuel filter to prime.

Now, I noticed that I don’t get glow plug light anymore and I am having difficulty starting the car, especially in the morning.

The mechanic also pointed that may be one of the injector is leaking diesel (it looked wet outside the injector), I also notice that there is noticeable diesel leak on the ground under the engine (only after this incident).

Two questions for the experts here:
1: What do I need to do to fix the glow plug (or the light)?
2: How do I get the injector leak fix?
3: Where is the additional diesel leak coming from now?

Thanks for your help.
sijaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:13 AM   #2
SPEC_Tech
AF Newbie

Re: '82 Mercedes Diesel 300SD, glow light not working

Sir:

There is no way I can answer the third....well let me just explain. You need to replace the timer module which is located near the firewal and cowling on the driver's side of the car. The injector has a clamp like hold-down seal. If these two 10mm bolts areloose then tightenthem uniformly if they ar tight, don't touch them until you buy a seal kit. You should correct this ASAP as their is a safety issue involved here. Not so much in the volitility of diesel fuel, but what it does to the ground surface. Walk on it and you wil slip and fall. Drive over it and it willeliminate any traction and it will eat away at your tires. The deisel leak on you driveway is probably a drip down from the leaky injector. and will stop after the underside of the vehicle is thoughly cleaned. Have the fuel sender checked for accuracy. It should be faulty. In the event that it is not, check and see if it is possible for the temp gauge to be reading a bit high too. If so, this would indicate too high of voltage regulation released from the dashboard voltage regulator located on the rear of the dash cluster on your model. It's much more likely to be the sender though. If you ran out of fuel, depending on the year your car was made and the locale where you drive, the in-line water filter may need replacement, especially if the engine smokes white when first started.
'97 MBZ SL600 6.7L V-12 Custom Modified. Black Opal
'95 NIS Altima 2.4L IL4 Vaporjection. Dark Currant
SPEC_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
sijaz
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

It turned out that the fuse for the glow plugs was blown. I replaced that cost me $2. For the leaking diesel, it was traced back to old injector tubing (rubber/soft) that connects between injectors. I replaced them all and now there is not even a drop leak. This is a big relief as I was getting concerned about the amount of diesel leaking. I have cleaned the floor for the same safety reasons you mentioned.

Again appreciate all your help.
-Syed
sijaz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion