Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CL | Inspire | Saber | TL
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Davidcarter922
AF Newbie

Question Removing spark plug wires

My 1999 Acura CL2.3's engine light came on. Diagnosed as Code P0303 - misfire in 3rd cylinder. Tried to pull wire for 3rd cylinder from engine and could not. Twisted it, still no. Finally just the wire came out!! It pulled out of the crimp! Carefully pushed it back in. Car runs same as before. Engine light has not come back on yet (I reset it) but the misfire is still happening. How can I check this out and have I done any damage by pulling this wire?
Davidcarter922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Removing spark plug wires

I would suggest replacing the plug wires. If you have a misfire and a bad wire now you have 2 things going on. Since you are doing wires, you might as well do the plugs. If the cap & rotor haven't been replaced in a while you should do those as well. I suggest using all OEM parts. Just by replacing those parts you might fix the miss. If that doesn't fix it there is usually one other culprit - Fuel Injector.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Tony Silva
AF Regular

Re: Removing spark plug wires

Just do a routine tune up as far as the misfire is concerned...plugs, wires, cap and rotor. If that doesn't cure the misfire problem, you may have actual engine failure. Pull the #3 spark plug and look/smell it...if it has gas on it...that's a good indication that a tune up will fix the problem, However if it has oil on it then that is a VERY bad thing. Oil means (probable) head gasket failure.
Tony Silva is offline   Reply With Quote